Ye olde SOTA POT Census

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kara Brae, Aug 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Today I discovered that my tablet browser was still suggesting an old link to the SOTA POT Census as one of my favorite pages. I hadn’t looked at it for ages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1prdLScqCGxVly3F-e9hiBXjGu0jPwO8Qldeu6fqAwmM/edit#gid=0

Re-visiting that Google doc I was astounded at the dedication and hard work that the author put into it. I don’t remember who was responsible or whether it was a collaborative effort. I couldn’t find any posts about it in the forum. Is this information still available somewhere? Obviously the table is no longer being updated, but it would interest me to know when the last update was. In the date column only the month is listed, not the year. I guess I am getting nostalgic in my old age

Wilfred, StarLord, Time Lord and 8 others like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that was @smack

that was @NRaas, although smack also has a spreadsheet

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Wilfred, Time Lord, smack and 3 others like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

smack hasn't posted in over 6 months now, but shows as active yesterday....
    Maybe he'll comment....... ;)

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

it for sure is not up to date. many many missing pots.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Yes a great spreadsheet with LOTS of information. Unfortunately, complexity hampers the long term maintenance of any list. My suggestion on a way forward would be to split it into several tabs with a date stamp at the top. Show basic info on the first tab like Town, Region, Nested, PVP, and Governor. Second tab could include total lots broken down by size and availability and reservations. Third tab could include Recent Activity, Public crafting stations, Public Dungeons, Public Vendors, Interconnections, and notes. When towns are added you add them to the end of the list in each tab and then sort the list by Town Name. This way you can work on each tab separately as you have time and as long as you date the page Avatars will know what to expect.

I manage the Telethon Rewards List and if it wasn't for being able to copy the code from the previous Monthly Login or Subscription Reward it would probable not get updated quite as often. Elgarion is great at listing the rewards and I just copy and past those in to the code as well. @smack has done a heroic job creating and maintain the POT Census page but everyone needs help when RL takes you away. @smack, let me know if I can help in some small way.

6. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I haven't updated the spreadsheet in over a year! I had been holding out for public APIs to make this easier, as I had been doing this manually running between towns to gather the data. Also, I primarily only concentrated on NPC towns and PRTs, but there was a tab for governors to update their POT listing.

Worst case, I can just scrape the SOTA Map data but I may venture into Novia once more to update it, if only to see what's changed...though I'm not expecting much. Still waiting for Ep2 sometime hopefully before the heat death of the universe... :rolleyes:

Wilfred, Elwyn, evillego6 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

I can look at making this info available when I update (and revamp) SotAmap in a few months (Targeting to start work in Q4, with results in Q1 of 22)

Wilfred, StarLord, Time Lord and 7 others like this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That had to be a hell of a lot work to do. Props to @smack

9. smack

smack Avatar

Awesome! The data that I can scrape from how SOTA Map gets it currently comes back as XML, so preferably any upcoming new APIs would be great if returned as JSON instead, but not a big deal to manage.

Just realized the link in the OP went to the spreadsheet by @NRaas. Mine (in the .sig) was for NPC towns and PRTs. So full props to @NRaas for the original POT one!

Wilfred, evillego6, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  10. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings smack
    Whew! I thought it looked different. Was wondering where the POT Tab went. Thought you may have deleted it since support from governors wasn't constant. Mine are in there but honestly I have not updated them in a year o_O. Will do that. Come on Governors add/update your POTs and advertise your town.

Wilfred likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Nice to see you around Smack. Not sure what needs updating except if town info has changed. As for Wizards Rest, I am managing Steward who knows the Governor in real life. The Town was upgraded one more time to larger but lot sizes vary depending on resident requirements. So all is well in Wizards Rest. Thanks for the spreadsheet. Cheers all.

Edited

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Wilfred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.