Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

You need to hire a Communications Manager

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Over the years, communication with the active player base has been very poor.

It's not the fault of any one or even multiple people on the development team. In my opinion it's a result of many people wearing many hats, and communication of everything from key decisions to minor nuances have been been mishandled and neglected.

I shouldn't have to give examples of this, there should be wide spread agreement on the spirit of what I'm saying.

That is why I believe Portalarium should hire a communications manager to help deliver future messages. Not just press releases and major events, but in-game changes and documentation as well. Some people may confuse this with "community management", and I believe that's something different. I think there's a clear line between the two, with communication management being focused squarely on both the strategic and tactical message to press, investors, players, and potential players.

Ideally, a good communications manager (and anyone forward facing with the community) would have a strong MASTERY of the game. This would help ensure that the messages were best understood by all audiences and there would be less confusion as to what the current and future states of the game reality was.

Please consider hiring on an additional staff to communicate important messages.

2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

That is Berek.
    GO Berek.!!! He's a great Community guy.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This isn't meant to be anything against Berek. I'm simply stating that it's not a one man job to manage the community AND the communications to the player base. It's not been effective, and I don't believe that's the fault of Berek, I believe it's the lack of a single person being focused on communication strategy and tactics.

Cordelayne and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  4. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I do very much support hiring a competent communications person!

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If we had the ability, a communications/PR exclusive person is absolutely a good idea. A community manager sets down some policies and directs conversations, but they do way too much else to properly focus on "keeping the message on track" so to speak, especially during these kinds of times.

Since we don't have the resources to hire this kind of person just yet, all of our staff are on-hand to help direct the conversation. This isn't ideal, as you pointed out, but it's the next best thing. The team at Portalarium is absolutely amazing, so I have ever confidence that Chris, Starr, Richard, and all the others are on the same page when posting in the forums about these concerns. The flavor and some facts may be different, but hopefully not off-the-wall so.

6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Where is FireLotus when we need her.....

7. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I hear Sean Spicer may be looking for a job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.