Your Favorite Aspect or Moment of the Ultima Franchise?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by VooDoo, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeddlingMonk

MeddlingMonk Avatar

Rhiannon: Yes, being recognized as female in a game is a good feeling, sometimes. Serpent Isle did a much better job of it (making it that much more satisfying to kill Great Captain Whatzis after he pretty much says you couldn't have caught him without the help of your male companions). And then came 8 and 9 when being female wasn't even an option. Gaah!

And, speaking of Serpent Isle, I sometimes wonder what the more-or-less mandatory lesbian encounter with Frigidazzi goes down with some straight women players. Yes, you can resist her charms, but still. I've never had the nerve to just straight up (so to speak) ask. I can't think of any other game (that I've played) where such a thing happens whether the straight player wants it to or not. Consider Skyrim's marriage system. It allows same-sex marriages between the player's character and an NPC, which is nice and all; but if you go that route, you are your virtual partner are the only same-sex couple in the entire game world. That doesn't seem fair, somehow, and it does seem more than a little cowardly. So, good on Serpent Isle for going there and in the way it did.

sakuraba likes this.
  2. Cagliostro

Cagliostro Avatar

I really loved the worldwide "treasure hunt" type quests in Ultima VI especially since you had no arrow pointing the way. One clue and that was it: map pieces and the pirate treasure, the balloon plans, vortex cube, Phoenix, the runes etc... This was the first Ultima where I really enjoyed dungeon crawling and it really forced you to explore all areas of the world, talk to every character, and actually LISTEN to what they had to say rather than simply scroll right through it all. I'm sure that's why Ultima VI is my favourite in the series and, when I play it, I always feel more immersed in the world and in the story lines than any other Ultima. Even though the previous five games had similar elements, for some reason I just connected more with VI.

I also love the U6 music. I adore "Captain John's Hornpipe" just because everyone else I know finds it annoying.

Though I've always wish they had finished the Skara Brae quest lines. I always wanted the ability to officially solve Quentin's murder and bring Blade to justice.

Outside of the games, the packaging got me more invested in the world as well. The boxes with striking artwork, the manuals that seemed as though they came straight from the game world, the trinkets, and the cloth maps all added to the experience and set me on a quest to collect as many complete copies of the games as possible.

No RPG since Ultima has really been able to capture me the way this series has over the twenty years I've been playing video games.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

"I also love the first time that i entered in Ultima 7, with this sinister murder. Also I agree with Merrimoose and the feeling with Ultima 9 and the music. Ah! And another favorite moment was when I used the computer in Ultima 9 and I saw: ?Ultima Online 2, coming soon?."

@Eriador,

Did you ever come across the "software pirate" (the House of Wares) in Serpent Isle? http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/House_of_Wares

http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-Part-2-Serpent-Isle/Update%2043/35-SI_37_CC03.png

sakuraba likes this.
  4. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

Favorite moment - finally getting a U7 boot disc that allowed me to hear the Guardian speak (dang, that was tricky to get all the drivers and everything working in 640k + ext!)

Favorite aspect - The total 'out of box' thinking that Ultima always allowed. I think a *lot* of the gaming styles I like and use now came from Ultima, and I am constantly let down when I find a game that requires you to use A-B-C type thinking and questing. In Ultima, every character had a story, and sometimes the little stories were the best.

docdoom77 and Hillel Slovak like this.
  5. Syrion

Syrion Avatar

Favorite nostalgic moment: realizing Exodus was a computer

6. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

I played each of Ultima IV - Ultima IX when they came out (never played 1-3). Yes, I'm that old.

Ultima IV definitely hooked me but I didn't really experience the joy of an Ultima experience until I played Ultima V.

Opening the box and finding all this stuff (like the account of how LB was lost in the Underworld) was magical in itself. And then going into the game and finding it so familiar and yet so different.... like meeting up with a long lost friend.

Everything was bigger and better, as far as I was concerned. Just when I thought I'd cruise through U5 because I'd already played U4, they threw curve balls at us. "What? I have to learn a word of power to open this dungeon?"

Learning how the Shadowlords and the planets/stars aligned was cool (each star represented a town, and each comet was a Shadowlord, so you could tell in advance which towns they were at if you had the spyglass).

Having my companion killed by Blackthorne! (Although I immediately reloaded the game and avoided the situation altogether)

There's so much in U5 to love. I still remember getting to the end of the game and seeing the 'Congratulations' screen. I even wrote a letter to LB and sent it in (never got a reply, but that's probably because I didn't send a SASE).

Magical game, U5. Did you know that, even to this day, I can still hum the travelling tune from that game!

And U6 and both halves of U7 only got better. (we shall not speak of U8 or U9)

Lord Ao Soliwilos likes this.
  7. LakotaWolf

LakotaWolf Avatar

I grew up playing the Ultima games (got a copy of U6 when I was eight, and later got a hold of copies of the older games while a pre-teen/teenager, and played a LOT of U7/Serpent Isle as a teen), so I have a lot of fantastic memories of the games. It's really hard to choose just a few moments/stories as my favorites, but here are two that jump to mind immediately:

In U6, I used to put a skiff into Dupre's backpack. So he would literally be carrying a skiff around in his backpack for the entire game so that I could cross water whenever I needed/wanted to. I was always very impressed that Dupre was strong enough to carry a small boat in his backpack.

In U7, when you, as the Avatar, audition for the role of the Avatar in Raymundo's play. ...and you don't get the part XD

I cried off and on for days when Dupre sacrificed himself in Serpent Isle. I was 11 years old when I played Serpent Isle, and it crushed my fragile young soul when one of the Avatar's lifelong Companions died XD It was the first time that I had experienced the loss of a character that I had invested so much of my affections in. His death was a strangely pivotal moment in my childhood - I didn't become emo or depressed or anything, but I realized that, no matter how much you love a character that someone else made up in a book, game, movie, or TV show, you have no control over what happens to them. I hadn't lost any family members or even any pets at that point in my life, so in a way, Dupre's death was the first loss of "someone I cared about" that I had ever experienced.

I know that makes me sound like a bit of a nutball, but I loved my games as a kid, and it just shows how well fleshed-out the Avatar's Companions were as characters - that a young girl cried her heart out when one of them died ;}

gtesser and Lord Ao Soliwilos like this.
  8. An_Corp

An_Corp Avatar

Ultima Online the Second Age - everything up until Trammel.

9. Crusader of Sacrifice

Crusader of Sacrifice Avatar

My favorite memory would be when I heard Stones for the first time. Still to this day there are times when I will just play the song in my music player on repeat while I am doing whatever it is I am doing at the time. Love that song. ^_^b

10. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

Three things, some in-game, some not:

-Launch of Ultima IX: Ascension. This was the only Ultima launch I was able to witness. I didn't encounter Ultima until 1996 so I was lucky enough to enjoy the series in time for U9's release. Despite the mess, it was an enjoyable experience and I'd still continue to enjoy UO for years.

-Crafting the Black Sword. This is the culmination of all the fun I had interacting with the world in Ultima 7. You could assume an entirely non-combative trade within Britannia. This was brilliant!

-Camping in Ultima 4. My character has to... sleep? I was puzzled at first, but it made sense. Any person in the real world would sleep. Why not our characters? This was one of the first times I felt like I was totally immersed in the world and not for cinematic reasons. Sure enough I feel like a soldier in a first person shooter. But you're generally "on the rails" and don't interact at your own pace. It was a mechanic not many games had. It wasn't just an RPG about getting items and killing things and completing quests. You went about your journey in a realistic and believable manner.

11. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I really like the show trial in Ultima 7 Part 2: Serpent Isle when the Avatar was arrested in the presence of that Ice Sorceress who was the Magelord's lover. Actually that whole city was great, with the mages lording it over the mundanes and everyone underestimating the Avatar. It really felt detailed with a great backstory.

Alexander likes this.
  12. Martel

Martel Avatar

Oh how I long for those days. I spent quite a bit of tie on my boot disk, before I gave up on MS-DOS and switched to DR-DOS. Made it a bit easier

My favorite memory of the Ultima games was getting to the end path in Ultima Underworld 1, and lossing my arms. I couldn't finish, and my brother teased me ruthlessly, because my closest save was about 3 weeks old.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

My favorite feeling was playing Ultima IV and V for hours at the library on an Apple II GS, which was fast (at the time).

Just the open sandbox of the world. Everyone was playing it too. You had to book time on the computer and someone else was usually using it

and a couple times they were playing Ultima. So you'd just pull up a chair and spectate. I remember people trying to kill Lord British a great deal :)

14. Maus Merryjest

Maus Merryjest Avatar

My first experience was Ultima VI back in the mid 90s. I still had my Atari 1040ST at the time.

I remember how surprised I was when I first played this game--- how wonderful and unusual the lore was. Up to that point, all I had known followed the D&D rule without much variation... suddenly, "Avatar? Virtues?"-- to quote Sir Lancelot, "Who is this, and what is here?"

The feeling of the world was tremendously unique, as was the lowered emphasis on killing everything and stealing anything that wasn't nailed down. The thought that you were beholden to a code of ethics was a welcome variation from the sociopaths I had been playing in almost every RPG... and then there was the magic system.

God, I loved the magic system. I read through the manuals, enjoying myself greatly and enjoying the thought and attention to detail that had been put into creating the world. I always found it interesting that magicians mixed their ingredients before casting spells, which often gave me the impression that my poor Avatar probably came out of half her battles looking as if she had been on the losing side of a food fight, in the haste to combine and cast ingredients (that was another thing-- though I usually play male, for Ultima I have always gone for female avatars and characters).

I'm not ashamed to say that I quickly memorized the runic alphabet rather quickly.

Perhaps my best moment with Ultima VI was the instant where I realized that -gasp- I could go anywhere, anywhere in the world at all and there weren't invisible walls that forced me to stick to one path and hold my hand throughout the plot. I was as free to follow clues or get lost in the world as I wanted to--- and get lost I did quite a few times. Every town had people I could meet and add to my party--- yet I always seemed to gravitate to Iolo, Dupre, Shamino, Gwenno and Jaana as my 'steadies'. That these companions shared a story gave me some grounding in the world, a world that wasn't quite what I was accustomed to from other games. Then, the realization that I wasn't there to kill the foozle but to somehow make peace between two races... because I was more or less directly responsible for the catastrophe? Priceless.

Since then, I have loved the Ultima franchise greatly, and I have a great respect for Richard Garriott and the significance that Ultimas III and IV had on the RPG genre as a whole. I have always loved going back to Britannia and I play the games regularly (except VIII and IX, for obious rEAsons...) and Britannia remains one of the most unique worlds I've explored. It all started with Ultima VI for me, though.

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My favorite Ultima experience is seeing Britannia in full 3D in Ultima IX!

16. ge97aa

ge97aa Avatar

My favourite experience has to be opening the box for Ultima V, and finding the cloth map inside. I was so amazed that they would actually include something so cool with the game! I remember pinning it to the wall above my Apple IIc, where it remained for many years after - long past when I completed the game, and even past when we got rid of that computer.

Other memorable experiences were fighting the floor in Exodus' castle (don't know why, but at the time I thought the idea of an invisible, uber-powerful enemy was just awesome), getting betrayed by Saduj in U5, and FINALLY finding some nightshade so that I could use the Kill spell in U4.

17. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I still remember going through Death Gulch in U3 and wiping the place out of guards and looting all the chest. Just thinking back makes me smile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smack likes this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Hearing "Stones" play for the first time....

plmarcondes and Alexander like this.
  19. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

My experience with Ultima is a little strange. I got the Ultima Collection (Aklabeth through 8) and was darn excited, too - I was too young to play the games as they came out, though I always saw them on shelves with great longing, just knowing I was missing something grand. I tried them in order, never beating one, but more or less experiencing the differences between them. While the first trilogy was fun to play around with, this was already the late nineties and they were far too dated for my young mind. I did however enjoy V, VI, and VIII, not appreciating VII at the time since it was so narrative-heavy (and there is much to do in Trinsic before you can even fight a wolf or brigand).

I later got the Underworld duology, which spawned my love for the older Elder Scrolls games, and for Christmas that year, Ultima IX. I never thought my parents would get it for me since it was rated M and it was a full-priced game, but they did anyway; I don't think I asked for anything else.

That was my first time opening an Ultima box, seeing all the books, the cloth map, the tarot cards... it was pretty great.
    The game is still kinda crappy, but I loved the hell out of it back in the day.

I'd like to feel that again opening the box for Shroud.

20. Pedro Luis

Pedro Luis Avatar

Oh man, this song give me nice memories...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.