Your Favorite Aspect or Moment of the Ultima Franchise?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by VooDoo, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Learning how to play Stones on the harpsichord in U5 at a lighthouse :)

2. Saraphana

Saraphana Avatar

For me the best part was how aspects of the game encouraged me to research and read outside the game on everything from medieval alchemy, the philosophers stone, Buddhism (8 fold path/Avatars path? ) to a number of other historical and esoteric topics. Ultima was unique I thought in it's symbolism, and philosophy, elements non existent in games before it. It wasn't simply hack and slash,it was a thinking persons game. You may notice from my picture I have traveled some...it's hard to say at what point that journey began, but certainly Ultima IV, and the imagination and desire to learn more as a result of it played no small part. Richard Garriott has influenced me as much as any author, and inspired me to think bigger and see more in our world. There are those who see this worlds symbols and those who do not, he does, and he opened my eyes to them as a kid.

I suppose the other moment for me is when I first realized I was reading runes, without needing to look them up and translate anymore. My neighbor and I would write messages to each other using them.....was sort of our "code".

Carlin the Archer and AvatarAcid like this.
  3. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

Playing and figuring puzzles out in Ultima Underworld, my first Ultima game, and talking about it with my best friend in elementary school.

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Getting killed by a cat at the Brittain bank.

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Say what?

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Successfully laying an ambush for a PK group by running past a known PK house, leading them into a box canyon, and annihilating them by a force held in stealth.

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

This. Ultima 7 was my first Ultima game and I didn't realize just how evil the guardian was until I heard his voice for the first time! So of course U7 parts 1 and 2 in their entirety are my favorites and I love every bit of them. I loved finding the Hoe of Destruction and learning its history. I didn't even mind searching through fish after fish to find the key. To this day, I can pretty much remember right where that fish is.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  8. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Ultima V for sure as it was my first boxed game and kept me entertained for so long, the interesting mechanics of combat and NPC interaction. In UO for sure has to be friends of a like mind I met and still chat with, and being hunted by PK's and slaying them in both one on one and group fights, always a laugh!

ge97aa likes this.
  9. ge97aa

ge97aa Avatar

I remember being so frustrated by this! I must have spent hours trying to find out how to interact with the harpsichord so I could actually play notes. Then to finally realize all I had to do was stand in front of it and press the number keys...

NigNog likes this.
  10. Vothric Vileheart

Vothric Vileheart Avatar

Ultima VII in general .. Too many good times for my childhood.

UO .. Taming. My freshly made tamer getting a cat and having no idea what the game was all about - to taming my first dragon. I have yet to play a game that nailed taming so well, and made it so enjoyable.

11. carbonbased

carbonbased Avatar

Loading a ship up with torches, bolts, and food, then hunting for the kraken in u7. I didn't get that the tentacles were supposed to he it, so I thought there was some dangerous monster out there that I had never found.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

docdoom77 likes this.
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The best memory I have was of Ultima VI, when I blocked off the entrances to Trinsic while all the locals were out of town (or did I kill them? I don't recall), and declared the entire town my own personal villa.

I then started collecting all the various items from around the world and decorating all the buildings with artifacts.

Well, I was young, and it was entertaining for me. :)

PingPong97 and docdoom77 like this.
  13. PingPong97

PingPong97 Avatar

Ping-Pong / Zazzam from Catskills Server checking in. My fondest memory is in my profile. However, my fondest memory would be: Buying an "Item Bless Deed" for 16 Million Gold around the time Valorite Weapons were introduced and gold was worth something. Which left me with a Alch/Poisoning/Fencing Faction Dexer character.

I also had reserved, teleport, invisibility, magic reflect - rings/bracelets.
    - Typical Scenario:

1) Lurk around Yew moongate ( Being in Shadow Lords Faction )
    2) Have 1000 Attempts at stealing my (blessed) Valorite Short Spear
    3) Attack anyone and anyhting ORANGE! that came through the Moongate.
    4) Using a Vanq Kryss, Hit with Deadly Poison then Switch to (Valorite Short Spear)
    5) Usually 1-2 hits after poison Knocks off 25% of their bar.
    6) Gain a faction point!!

To Wrap it up:

Victim calls 3-4 Buddies, I stay at gate waiting, FULLY equipped 125/125 Items. Get Ganked (apply invisibility ring, teleport away while invisible, pick them off 1 by 1)
    - Called a Cheater, and they make no attempt to fight me anymore. Just have recall Pre-Casted while yelling at me.

More just for fun-

*There's so many more memories, Black Sandal Gathering - Having guards repeatedly called on me by "SpOnK" - no matter what town I went to.
    *Having the FIRST "Ornament of the Magician" on Catskills, a day or so after Release.
    *Being a Kid and setting my Alarm to wake me on server up at Buccaneers Den to try and get that "rock." - Which was 3 a.m. - Go back to bed and go to school unsatisfied every time.
    *Getting a Blessed/Newbied pouch from PDFaceless on Test Center (Where you could set your skills/stats) - Putting everything in it, Including the best possible Valorite/50%/SSI/DMG Lightning dagger you could make ( after 1200+ Attempts) - Dying and Coming right back.
    *UoAssist, Purple Potting (3..2......Throw) - Explodes on target. And figuring out how to Link 4-7 pouches with Purple Pots, and Throwing them all at once.
    * And the fact that I Never joined a guild - Except towards the end - (CVL) The Cavalieers

* Then playing Freeshard's Divinity and one Created by Marlboro. - To get that Halberd/Mage feeling back.

Thanks for letting me share

- Ping-Pong (Catskills)

14. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Booting up Ultima VII Part 1 the first time, watching the intro and wondering what the heck was going wrong with my monitor and then...

"Greetings, Avatar..."

The voice of the Guardian still sends a shiver through my spine to today.

docdoom77 likes this.
  15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Avatar! Know that Britannia has entered into a new age of enlightenment. Know that the time has finally come for the one true lord of Britannia to take his place at the head of his people. Under my guidance, Britannia shall flourish and all he people shall rejoice! And pay homage to their new.... Guardian. Know that you too shall kneel before me Avatar; you too shall soon acknowledge my authority. For I shall be your companion, your provider, and..... YOUR MASTER! Mwaahaahahahahahahahaha!

Uh.... sorry about that. Couldn't help myself. :D

Ragnabrock and Akeashar like this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

My favorite memory was when i first saw a red run from us! Being victims all the time to pkrs, we were gatherers trying to make an honest living, i in particular was a woodsman always out chopping wood, and getting ganked! I would be so mad about it i almost quit! but then i thought to myself wouldnt it be nice to see them run for once!? So i designed my guild (CYS) Consider Your Sins!, for you old schoolers, you are familiar with that part of the game! The one thing a red had to say to turn to grey or blue and stop getting killed by guards and healers! I designed this guild out of about 30 victims of Pkrs, we starting hunting down every red we saw! Kill on sight was our MO! We had gotten so good at it that Red guilds would run from us on first sight! Mission Accomplished! that was the greatest moment of UO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.