Your first experience with Ultima and Lord British

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by CastChaos, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

This may be why the first game I ever seen was Ultima II. I think it may have been the first one to get ported to the c64 and Ultima I actually came later. Not positive but I remember for some reason Ultima II was the first one I could get and I could not get or play ultima I until later.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  2. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

You are correct. The original Ultima was released for the Apple II only.
    Sierra Online then ported Ultima II to the Commodore 64. It was only in 1986, when Origin completely recoded Ultima and renamed it to Ultima I - The First Age of Darkness, that Dr. Cat ported it to the Commodore 64.

By the way, my first Ultima game was also Ultima II on the C64, but I was just a little kid and forgot all about that until I played Ultima VI much later on my Compaq 386 PC :)

Sir Cabirus and Sebastion like this.
  3. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Ultima IV in Commodore 64. I believe in U6 I learned about hex & adjusted my gold amounts. Although it may of been a different game (disclaimer)

Fox Cunning and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I started a new play through of ultima 7 awhile back need to get back into that...

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yea. That dr cat is an amazing fellow. I met him at the HoBLotH II and his quests were amazing. Cheers to you Dr cat and sharing an amazing time at the tavern in cove!

6. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

In elementary school, when I was 10 years old, my friend said you have to play these games, and installed Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, and Savage Empire on my computer. Of course I bought them later, but it's thanks to him that I discovered Ultima and Lord British.
    It took us about 2 years to finish Ultima Underworld. For the longest time, we couldn't figure out what keywords to type at the end (talismans, volcano). What a game.

7. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

I read of the Ultima series in PC PowerPlay #6 "Best PC Games of All Time" in 1996. Ultima won the RPG category. Next to a brief description of the series was a picture of the Pyros scene from Ultima 8.

Back in those days you still had to buy games in the store. Ultima 4 would later be released for free on one of the cover discs for the same magazine. Shortly thereafter I was able to find classic re-release copies of U7 and U8. Not long after that I was able to purchase the Ultima Collection at EB games for $50 AUS (pretty standard local price back in the 90's). And now I finally appreciated what the "from the creators of Ultima" label on my original Wing Commander box meant.

From then on I was hooked on the game. I would later play Ultima Online and the entirety of the series. And I've tried to follow the developers of these games ever since. :)

8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Ultima 7 on a friend's PC. We had no internent, no hint books. It was glorious.

That was soon followed by U6 and Underworld II on my own PC. Such fond memories.

Sebastion and Sir Cabirus like this.
  9. Snoferret

Snoferret Avatar

Ultima I on 5.25" floppies on an Apple II back in the 1980's.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I printed out the A2 firmware on a dot matrix printer and then learned to write code to use the frame buffers on it and produce animations like rotating scissors, faces and etc and stuff using trigonometry. That is when I realized I wanted to be a mathematician. Sadly, after a few years in college, I ran out of money and realized I would end up a software engineer. But, man do I love math.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I had found Ultima I for DOS and I think Ultima V on some freeware BBS when I was really young and had loved the sense of challenge and experimentation it forced my young mind to do.

I had seen Ultima IV for NES and Black Gate on Egghead Software shelves for the longest time, and I had wanted them, but they never dropped in price enough for my parents to make the call.

Then I got Ultima Collection and Underworld(s) for a good price a year or so after their release and they stole a ridiculous amount of time from my youth.

Sir Cabirus and Sebastion like this.
  12. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

For me it was the Ultima IV-V-VI box set for Windows. I still have it somewhere with all of my old software (still in the original box with everything that was in it). I played it on a 25 MHz machine with Dos 5.0.

BTW...That's also around the same time I learned (the hard way) not to delete the . and .. files from a directory. :(

Sebastion and Sir Cabirus like this.
  13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Ok you want the 'very first' ? Well... that one I remember really well, as if it was only yesterday...

... I was introduced to Ultima V. I read the keyboard commands and learned to steal the torches in Iolos hut and open the door. And talk to Smith. Then I wandered and died. Then I started taking torches in LB Castle, and wandered through the kitchen and guard rooms, and onto the roof etc.

The very first time I played it I thought the game was absurd. It wasn't until I read the entire game manual and found the map in the back of the box it occurred to me there it was an entire world. It was legendary and brilliant and because of Ultima V I am a very competent typist.

In fact I remember the very first play of Ultima V, 6, 7 and 8 and Underworld 1. I can't remember which direction I headed first in Ultima 9 and Underworld 2 though.

Regards,

Sebastion, Tahru and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Corgano

Corgano Avatar

First exposure here was Ultima V... college roommate had it, so we'd sit for hours tag-team playing the same game (and lost track of time, so missed many-o-class). Played through VI - IX, and finally spent a good 5-6 years milling about UO (on Lake Superior and Baja shards mainly). Met some great people there, and still keep in contact with a dozen+ who were part of our guild (Society of Archers).

15. Curt

Curt Avatar

Ultima IV. It was the first of them that got to european market as far i know.

16. Valdric

Valdric Avatar

Ultima Online, when I had my own PC and lived on my own.

I never played Ultima 1-8 when they first came out.
    My family never had a PC when I was growing up. Instead, I was playing Atari and Nintendo. No one cared about computers in my family I guess...

Sebastion likes this.
  17. Darth Jodoc

Darth Jodoc Avatar

Back in my day... :p

Honestly, the first Ultima game I played was Ultima V on the Commodore 64, but upon discovering previous games, I went back and played Ultima IV in order to transfer my character over to Ultima V and continue the story properly... if the Transfer Character option worked correctly. :( Even still, I enjoy the game thoroughly and try to play it again and again when I can.

Ultima V still remains my all-time favorite of the series, and it's made me a life-long PC gamer. (Who needs consoles anyways? Bah! Darn kids—get off my lawn! :p )

Sir Cabirus and Tahru like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The first Ultima I played was Ultima IV on C64 back in 1985. I instantly fell in love with the game and became addicted to the series. I bought every Ultima thereafter and later tried Ultima I to III, too. Up to this day Ultima is my favourite RPG series. My favourite game in the series is Ultima VII (both parts) as I have never seen a world that felt so alive before - and even after as I think no game ever came close to the world simulation of Ultima VII.

I bought and played Ultima Online, too but never got into it. I missed experiencing a story, the world that felt alive full of NPCs with their personalities and schedules, my old companions Iolo, Shamino and Dupre and all of the others and I generally missed the feeling of being the hero that saved the world.

19. Zelek Uther

Zelek Uther Avatar

My first Ultima experience was Ultima III: Exodus on a 10MHz PC XT with CGA graphics (320x200 in 4 colours).

Years later a friend showed me Ultima Online, and I bought a new PC so I could play it. This was 1999, so my first UO experience was The Second Age. I still remember the feeling of logging in for the very first time. It was night-time in Britain, and I was standing outside the Sweet Dreams Inn, while the light from the nearby street light flickered on the street cobbles. My name: Zadok, and my chosen profession was Blacksmith. An entire world to explore, to carve out my niche in... filled with adventure and real people!

This was the first MMO game I had ever seen, and I was amazed at the possibilities.

Now I'm excited to see what happens with SotA! May it combine the best of UO with the best of the learning from all MMOs since.

20. Ciciro

Ciciro Avatar

I read a series of articles about Ultima. I am, after all, younger than 7 of the games in the series. :p

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.