Your first experience with Ultima and Lord British

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by CastChaos, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C64Television

C64Television Avatar

Ultima 3 back in 1983 on the Commodore 64. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. But then again I was only 12 going on 13 years old. LOL

Sir Cabirus and Schmidbauer like this.
  2. Duke Aventine

Duke Aventine Avatar

Ultima IV in college.

I have a vague memory of Ultima III Exodus on the NES but get mixed up on the dates for that.

Sir Cabirus and Schmidbauer like this.
  3. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

My first exposure to Ultima was in the late 80s, around 1988-ish, I caught a glimpse of a pirated copy of Ultima IV or V. My brothers friend bought the Ultima games, my bro copied them, and probably xeroxed the manuals to get past the copyright protection. I wasn't really allowed to play but when I was I wasn't too into the clunkyness of it, at the time I had a Nintendo and probably Sega Genesis, so I wasn't used to Turn Based Strategy games, the closest to that I would had experienced by that time would have been Zelda which is barely turn based at all. So I let my bro play Ultima IV & V and VI, but when VII came out I was all over it. It was by far the best game I had ever played. Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Ghouls N' Ghosts, Altered Beast, none were even close to the greatness of Ultima VII. Ultima VII was a living breathing world where items weren't mere pixelated backdrops but actual items that could be interacted with. Due to the popularity of Ultima VII, and other things going on, Nirvana, guitar, etc, I didn't get much time to play it, but when Serpent Isle came out, I was able to play it from beginning to end. I would wake up at 4:00am, 3 hours before time to leave for school so I could get those 3 hours to spend in Serpent Isle every school day, so psychologically I feel like a resident of Serpent Isle to this day, as strange as that sounds. The game blew me away, it was the same engine as part I, but upgraded and the quests less daunting yet still enormously better than any other game out there. I didn't merely play Serpent Isle, I lived and breathed it as a citizen, I took over an NPCs house and made it my own. I would hang out not knowing which quest to do next because the manual didn't have much to offer and unlike games today there wasn't a giant glowing yellow arrow pointing the way, so I took my time and spent a good six months in that game the first time I played it. Then I bought Ultima VIII myself, played it from beginning to end and treated it much like Serpent Isle, the vibe was darker but I spent a good six months slowly slumbling around in the Pagan landscape with no guides and no internet. I don't believe I got the internet until around 1995. Waited a few years and in 1996 heard about the Ultima world I knew and loved with Online attached. I had visions of Ultima VII meets Ultima VIII in an online setting and couldn't wait for the online quests that would await. Of course UO has no quests it's the most open sandbox MMO ever made, but aside from that I still had enjoyable experiences in UO, but nothing compared to the offline worlds of Ultima VII; I, II & VIII.

4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Love this thread :)

My first experience with the ultima series was with Ultima 4 in the mid 80's when I had just upgraded to a commodore 128. Went to the local computer store to get some blank 5 1/4 inch floppy disks and noticed this
    game on the shelf. I bought it out of shear curiosity and was hooked on the series since.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  5. Shade 03

Shade 03 Avatar

Akalabeth

Atogrim and Mata like this.
  6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

prolly U IV, but didn't play it, just watched my bro play it, same for U V and tried VI but VI was still not as fun as Mario Bros/ Zelda for a kid my age back then, but when Ultima VII came out it trumped anything console games had ever done. First time I "met" him was in UO in 97 on a few occasions, he was always nice and posed for a screen shot.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  7. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Shade 03!

8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Ultima, late 1981 on an Apple ][

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  9. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I stumbled on Ultima III when I was probably 12 around 1984 or so. My dad got it out of one of those trading clubs. Sorry RG it was "borrowed". I had no clue what I was doing and had no manual. It took me a few months of messing with it to figure out how to play I seem to recall. I played it all the way through. I played IV when it came out. I think it was IV that I remember messing up the final password. I had to go through that dang dungeon probably a half dozen times before I figured it out. I bought and played V - IX after that all the way through as they came out. I also played the NES version all the way through maybe around 1987. I never had much luck with UO though. I bought it when it came out but my system and internet couldn't handle it. I think I might have still be on dial up.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  10. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

The invulnerable King in Ultima III Exodus on the NES. Who didn't try to take down the King?

11. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Was maybe 6-7 years old. I remember watching and helping my dad play Ultima V. He was a developer for a company making POS software and credit card machines. We had a lot of high end computers around so I was lucky on that end. By Ultima VI, I was really into it. We'd sit together and play for hours. I'd color the illustrations in the compendium if things got a little slow and help translate runic stuff and take notes.

When U7 and Serpent Isle came out, my best friend and I would stay up late, taking turns questing, eating swedish fish, ramen and capri suns. When it was time for bed we would sneak back to the computer and resume playing trying to be quiet as mice. Once his mother found out, so she took the disks and hid them not realizing that you didn't need them to play. She also had done this for Wolfenstein 3D because she found out how violent it was, which at the time we needed the disks to play so..she thought she was being clever again. We just let her think that her scheme had worked. At some point we discovered the joys of the hack menu and all it had to offer. We spent hours creating our own world, breaking the game completely, fixing it and then when we were kicked out of the house Calvin and Hobbes style, we would dress up in our medieval gear and go run around in the woods pretending to be the Avatar. Or Link. Or whatever the name of his medieval-based Sonic the hedgehog character was. Good times.

Also, we would roll up the cloth maps and take them with us. This is how I lost my U7 Blackgate map. My favorite of all. Sad face. There is a solid bronze Ether medallion replica from LtTP out there somewhere too. Alsoalso, inspired by Ultima, his mom let us actually make meade. He called it Yellow Lute Meade. We had fancy bottles, printed labels and kept it under the stairs to ferment. It wasn't half bad but we were 10-12 and hadn't really developed a taste for it yet. We did unfortunately develop a fondness for stealing wads of his mom's Drum tobacco to use in the pipes we'd sit around carving. Nothing beat a day of playing in the creek, adventuring in the woods then staying up late playing Ultima from which most of our inspiration came.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Sir Cabirus likes this.
  12. Getty313

Getty313 Avatar

1999 - Ultima Online
    Lumberjacking and selling bows over and over until I could afford a large "L Shaped" house.

Tyde likes this.
  13. Yskonyn

Yskonyn Avatar

Ultima 7 was my first introduction into the Ultima series. The massacre in the horsestable at the beginning of the game creeped me out at the time. I'd never seen such a mysterious and creepy scene before. I think I was 15 or 16 or so. Definately loved every minute of the game.
    The fact that there were many 'sandbox'-like elements was never seen before by me and that was the biggest draw. Unfortunately my PC at the time has issues running the game, so I tried to play it on and off. It took some serious dedication to configure my pc.
    I only found out much much later that there has been expansions for the game. Never played those yet, but I did get the complete collection from Gog.com a while back. If nostalgia hits, I'll check them out. :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  14. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Ultima 3 at age 8 I think.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I've played last year Ultima 3 for the first time. At age 60 :D It's a pure hack'n'slay but I like it. The first Ultima with a party and with music btw. And the map of Novia looks a lot like the Sosaria map of Ultima 3 :cool:

16. Perlateo

Perlateo Avatar

Ultima 3 was my first.
    mY favorite was Ultima 6
    There was never again a game that captivates me so much that i forgot i was playing a game.
    Maybe Ultima Online preTrammel.

17. agra

agra Avatar

Exodus: Ultima III, in '83, on the Apple ][+ . Oh, so many chests on the map.
    Ultima IV was, by far the best of that time period, though. So much awesome in such a small amount of storage/cpu/memory.
    I played all the single-player Ultima's right up to U8, but at some point in the main story of U7... there was a lich I couldn't kill via any means. And it's not that I would die, I just couldn't advance the quest because he wouldn't die. He was invulnerable, I think? At that point, there were enough other games I was too distracted to get back to it. ( Turns out, that was a bona fide bug, that they later patched. How about that? )

I don't think I finished U8 (the fellowship plot was... meh, for me) and the next Ultima/LB related game was UO in '97.

I think I liked the world, magic, look and feel in U7 the most out of all of them, though. It "felt" the best. Strangely, I hate isometric games, now. :)

Sir Cabirus and rune_74 like this.
  18. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

I remember seeing ultima 4 as a child. My brother was playing it on our Apple IIe computer and I remember being drawn into this fantasy world of endless imagination. I can still picture the tiny stick figures

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  19. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

There was this new fangled thing called MMO's and I was playing Meridian 59, one of my friends told me about this game being developed called UO.

I headed over to the website and that was it totally hooked on what was planned, possibly being added pre release and beyond. I stopped gaming purely to refresh the internet which in the UK cost me by the minute from the phone company just to see if there was anymore information released each day. When it did go live I had my copy installed and went out and ran round totally headless thinking what fun it was so much so my monthly phone bill was like $600-700 a month to play. I participated in the protest on US servers with fellow Europeans as lag was terrible at times to get our own servers and re started on Europa.

Not until the kick start was announced for SotA have I been as excited about an MMO and being in a guild of like minded older players as we all are now that played that initial release has only added to the anticipation of live release.

Tyde likes this.
  20. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

I am just arriving here myself. Due to personal medical stuff and a lack of confidence after that whole Tabula incident. (Sorry not Richard's fault...but the burn....)

Anyway, I've been a loyal subject since I literally cannot remember. My friend had the C64 we originally got hooked on the series with. We would have sleep overs and if it wasn't an all night D&D session, it was two to four of us huddled around that monitor hashing out how to get through the next challenge.

When Ultima Online came out, we were just starting college. We both had PC's, and we both got the beta access. My first (though certainly not last) beta test.

We were there for every major event, together we developed our "route" through Sosaria to pick up vendor stuff (aka thread spools) and resale for ludicrous amounts of money, we were at the assassination of Lord British, helped destroy a group of PKers by pickpocketing all their house keys (ha-ha, never mess with a bard!) , and we both had a version of a guy named Fischer. Dressed in robes, long hair and a beard, he traveled around on foot with nothing but a fishing pole and preached the virtues.

Good times. I met Richard and several of his devs throughout the game. (In game) and was always impressed.

Later, like...waaaay later during a demon invasion I held off the demon Lord's attacks by telling him a love story of an I'll fated couple. He gifted me with a drum that wouldn't wear out, so I could play uninterrupted. Greatest thing I personally experienced because it was me and a dev, talking, in-character and I've never experienced its like again.

Sorry it took so long to get here. After logging in the other night, I realize I should have been here from day one.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.