Your fondest UO memory? Or, worst UO memory?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by crossbowsoda, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

Really hard to try and narrow it down to a few memories. I could probably write an entire book on my uo experiences.

I remember my first time logging into UO in beta. A guy who was in my guild from Diablo let me play his beta account because he didn't like UO. I first logged into UO in Trinsic. I just remember being in awe at the sight of all these other real people running around in a persistent world. Just those first few seconds of being in my first real virtual world was all I needed to be hooked. I remember just running all around Trinsic with no clue what I was doing and just listening to peoples conversations and trying to get a grasp of everything.

When the game went live, I started in Minoc, and soon realized the demand for iron ore from the crafters that hung out at the Minoc blacksmith. I would drag large piles of ore there, and it didn't take too long before I realized the need for a packhorse, as people would just snatch the ore off the ground and I would lose all that work just like that!

My first experience being pk'd was on the eastern side of the mountains that were SW of Minoc where I would mine ore. PK's quickly found where the easy prey was and it was something I would always be aware of going forward, making sure I raised my hiding and magery so that in case of a threat I could hide or recall away.

I remember joining my first guild, The Empire, on the Atlantic shard. The guy who recruited me was named Aika, and to this day was probably the most friendly, unselfish player I've ever met in an MMO. He would always go out of his way to assist any friend that needed it. I remember when he was saving up for his dream of owning a tower, and I was just saving up to get a small brick house. I told him I needed about another 60K to buy it, and he just gave me the 60K even though he hadn't saved up enough for his tower yet, saying he would be able to recoup the money soon enough so he could buy his tower. He did end up getting his tower, and was so excited. It was great. You just don't see that type of selflessness in an MMO these days.

I could go on an on, but I'm at work and should probably be doing more work and less nostalgic storytelling!

2. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

---In the days right after the "house placing" madness Frida the dungeon thief found she could open locked doors in Lord British' Castle. There wasn't really anything interesting there, BUT....one day Frida was atop the wall at the entrance. She was able to operate the mechanism that lowered the portcullis (sp) (that kind of lattice gate thing) and lower the porcullis, locking out the populace!
    --Laughing at the irate townsfolk, who desired to get in for their mounts and pack mules in the stable, Frida boasted that she had bought the castle!!
    --this was on Chesapeake shard. Soon after the GM's fixed the portcullis such that the prank could not be repeated.

ledoc, Redbluefire, Fireangel and 3 others like this.
  3. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

Best memory? Getting banned from Imanewbies castle.

Imanewbie was there, Imannoying and some other "Ima" I can't remember. Myself and a few others had dropped by and we had been invited inside. I said something like "I feel really bloated" and emoted *fart* whilst setting off a magic trapped pouch at the dinner table.

"I ban thee".

Lord Royou and crossbowsoda like this.
  4. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

edit: I realize a lot of people reading this must think I'm a horrible person. But I'm not, really. I'm not a griefer.

Sooo many good stories. Wish I'd written them down.

One of my best memories tho, must be.... Ahhh my.....

The time when..

Me and a friend blocked the entrance to one of the mine caves near covetous with two pack horses.
    We went inside and pummeled, (with our fists) a miner to such low health that he didn't have the stamina to run away.

We threatened him with his life to mine for us or lose it.
    He agreed......
    (He could've refused, died, and lost a few pickaxes.. He had no ore yet.. Or, ICQd a friend to come kill us both... He didn't.)

He agreed and mined for us for about a half hour.. producing and providing us with not quite 200 ingots I believe..
    We'd beat him down every so often to keep him too weak to run.

We'd chit chat a bit but mainly told him to "shut it and keep working''

After 30 minutes or so, he said he had to go.. IRL. We let him leave, with his life.. and definitely an interesting memory.

That is such a real and true example of role play on our part, and the miner's.. of Good and Evil.. The two thugs and the miner.
    ONLY in OLD SCHOOL FELUCA could you EVER experience such a great moment of role play and gaming.
    The feeling I had, having that kind of interaction between people over a computer, blew my mind.

Thank you UO!

5. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Finally, one of the ones with common sense, who took the time to 'learn'

6. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Good memory #2.

I was transfering a key for my small shack near vesper beach... The old, hide it in a bag under a tree gag.

Got to it with my other character to find it gone! and my house being looted!!

The character I had sucked and I couldn't defend my house! I ICQd a friend to come help... He got there kind of in time..

All of the sudden..... Server restart!!!!!

I spent the next 10 to 15 minutes, trying to log in, over and over and over and over again until finally the game was loading!!!

I RAAAAAAN to the hiding tree, and there it was!!! MY KEY!!!

I swear to god, 3 seconds later I heard footsteps off screen then entered frame, the looter... Disappointed of course!

I was SOO happy! Probably the happiest UO memory.

ledoc, crendelmac, Bow Vale and 4 others like this.
  7. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

Lol that's a great story.

8. Idunaz

Idunaz Avatar

I also miss the Server wars at the Brit GY when the message would come across for the server saying the server would be going down in 15 minutes, and everyone knew anything from that point on wouldn't be saved, so it was an all out brawl between the pks, anti pks and randoms. Some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

rgubler and Lord Royou like this.
  9. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I remember seeing that for the first time and, again, just being mind blown. UO is the only game to have delivered me this feeling consistently.

I also didn't realise it was a time loop for server restart... I looted so much and stayed alive!!
    I was so happy with my bounty. Only to have the server crash. I then learned what server wars were truly all about.

Lord Royou and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

My first time logging in and agonizing over my first skills....after much debate I went with magery and taming. I head out of town after marveling at all the players the chat etc amd start plying my trade.. I have a couple of bears following me around I'm the King of the forest!! Slaying orcs and any other wildlife crossing my path what a glorious half hour it was..then a red name appears off screen "Vas Flam"..."Vas Flam" and I'm dead.

I head back to town in shock get a res and start yelling about someone killing me "the horror" and of course no one cared..a blue gate opens and a formidable looking player just walks out and of course I'm still asking for help and he asks me "you get PKed ??" Me "yes" .."where is he?" I tell him just outside of town I will show him. I ask if I should get some weapons etc he tells me not to bother just stay close to him no matter what.

Off we go time to show this bastard what for! He is still in the same area the corpses of my fallen bear friends at his feet... My new hero starts to cast...Here we go! And a tiny little flame fires off and he starts running back towards town!!! I stand there for a second then start following him (what the hell???) "Vas Flam" it hits me in the back I have a sliver of life left...running "Vas Flam" I'm gonna die...again!! Just as the fireball blasts me in the back I see my cowardly "Hero" screams GUARDS!!! GUARDS!!! GUARDS!!! And you can read my signature for what happened next.

My new buddy is looting his corpse and laughing at the PK I still don't quite get it but I am glad the ghost next to my ghost is cursing up a storm ;)...then I get a res request and accept he tells me to take what's left and enjoy...I lived of that gold and bone armor for weeks...great intro to a great game..many Adventures followed.

rgubler, Rade, Lord Royou and 2 others like this.
  11. Warlover

Warlover Avatar

The fondest memory in UO was that I never knew in which city I started. 2 minutes into the game I wanted to try combat against a fierce pig. The next thing I know was running around in my death gown not knowing how to resurrect. It must have been over an hour of running (and probally dodging the healers) until finally some player helped me to a healer.
    That healer was located in Trinsic and from that moment onwards I called that my virtual home.

12. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

Second favorite or maybe first ;)...after I had cut my teeth a little and learned a thing or two I was off adventuring and decided to go to covetous. Inside the entrance I see a few fallen adventurers I take a few steps in and a literal sea of red names pops up I'm instantly paralyzed/burn/electrocuted...that was upsetting but what really pissed me of was the "talking" afterwards like I stood some sort of chance to defend myself..Soo now I'm aggravated and back to town I go..grab a rune and back to covetous I go. I run in mark the rune and "Kal ort Por" before they can get me.

Now some of you may remember you could trap a Guard and force him through a gate this "bug" was removed shortly after but I did what needed to be done...trapped him and sent him through and followed right behind..a cacaphonie of teleports and "WHAMS!" Greeted me.. I got to see him drop 5 or 6 trying to recall and one that made a futile mad dash for the entrance ;)...15+ red corpses and ghost. I started looting black plate and weapons went back to town yelled "follow me for Loot!" Open another gate and few went with me to pick the rest clean.

That guard stayed in covetous for quite a while much to the chagrin of my new found "buddies".

A few of the reds did try and return for their stuff but they regretted their actions....again :).

AvatarAcid, Elron, ledoc and 8 others like this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This is an EPIC tale that should go down in Fables read by the Ancients! I wish I could have been there to see all those reds fall like that! :p

14. vjek

vjek Avatar

For 1997 to 1999, UO?
    Being able to kill anyone. :)
    Then not having anyone to kill. :(

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I played on pacific, summer of 1999. My brother and his friend had been playing for awhile so they got me started with a good amount of gold and told me to buy reagents and work on magery/eval int/meditation/swords/tactics/resist and I can't remember what else.. whatever was popular for pvp at the time.. I think it was explosion/e-bolt/poison/whack with halberd.

Well I was working on my magery, got up around upper 80s, feeling pretty awesome, joined Guardians of Light and decided I'd help the noobs from being pk'd. which resulted in me losing lots and lots of reagents from being killed. fast running was still working at the time and I had that enabled, but I ran into this group just outside of Britannia that was chanting wall, they ran around and blocked me from running away while their red PK'd me.

I died, and died, and died again to the PKs.. only time I ever lived was when I was with my brother and his friend... although one time he was taking me to his house and he got attacked by a couple of guys, I was trying to keep him healed (using greater heal) but I couldn't keep up with the damage. He had a lot of very expensive things on him, plus his house key, they looted it all. He was so mad.. told me I should have attacked them, not tried healing him. I never was good at pvp on UO.

Eventually I went on to taming.. just before trammel came out I had a lot of dragons and nightmares and I was holding up a bit better in pvp having GM'd everything. I generally didn't bother reading patch notes so one day I logged in and went to my stable and did a "claim all"... suddenly I was dead? what happened?

I had about 10 dragons, you can't control 10 dragons anymore so they went wild and started attacking everyone. I got guard whacked and my dragons were slaying everyone in sight..

wait.. I might be not remembering that right, I think my Taming skill was too low, my animal lore was GM but I think I only had like 75 taming, which no longer was enough to control dragons, that might have been what happened.

16. Xeno

Xeno Avatar

Two fond memories. First one is general - the test servers. Those were often my time to have fun PKing and just PVPing in general.

One specific memory was when I called a GM and they came to my house. After he left, we were making fun of the way he teleported with that special GM teleport (which essentially makes it look like he Kal Vas Flam'ed himself.) Out of nowhere Flamestrikes start appearing all around me and through my house. After 5-10 seconds they stopped. I tried to provoke him again, but no dice. Good times!

I hope the GMs of this game will be as interactive as in UO!

17. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

There was an experience, which caused me not to quit the game but instead still paying several accounts.
    Olahorand in Haven. The day came, he was catapulted out due to no longer being Young. Into some dschungle, where a giant serpent moved into his direction. In this moment the Internet connection locked.
    15 minutes later - finally connected again - grey world, munched down by the snake. After finding a healer and wanting to reequip - damn where is my stuff? (The time before I died as Young player, so I kept it all - and sure enough, I did not know anything about a bank at this time and had all my gold and loot still in backpack.)
    So basically ALL my stuff was now gone, together with the corpse. Cursing the unfairness of the game, not detecting the fact, that the Internet connection went down and acting in my favor, I wandered through the town in my grey outfit. A player - Duke Askalon was his name - asked me what my problem is. So I told him, what happened, and he took me to his house in the desert, where he gifted me a nice sword (of Power if I remember right) and some decent armor, and showed me how to fight. In this context I met also another newbie, and we struggled together against scorpions and Earth Elementals in the desert and cleaned the Moonglow graveyard to earn our first money.
    Later she got a small tower and I could live in it using some of the storage space.
    A few more years we played together, before she left me alone - and now she pledged for SotA as well :)

The worst: The introduction of WoW, making entire guilds disappear and the players never return.
    The second worst: Staying awake almost the full night before a long trip by car to vacation to loot an IDOC in Felu. Fell around 4 AM, and I managed to grab a Potted tree and some other nice items. But did not recall fast enough, got killed and looted with nothing left for the short night. At least no accident on the way to Danmark ...

*Salute*
    Olahorand

Bellbane, Lord Royou, Siili and 2 others like this.
  18. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

lol i had maybe 50 pair,must have gotten 1/2 from others that got killed trying to get them . they didn't know to have the mobs do your dirty work.

Lord Baldrith and majoria70 like this.
  19. Xeno

Xeno Avatar

Can you remind me of the black sandals trick? It's on the tip of my brain. I remember hunting Daemon Bone Armor!

Edit:
    Oh let me add a saddest memory. When my dragon of ~5 years, Puff, died. I think I died trying to get Daemon Bone Armor and no friends were on. No one was anywhere near me or the town. By the time I got back, he was dead. I never thought I could be so sad over the loss of a digital pet.

20. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

You got the sandals, from the healers in healers hut, sorry i don't remember the town name any more but was in t2a.

Xeno and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.