Your fondest UO memory? Or, worst UO memory?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by crossbowsoda, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeno

Xeno Avatar

Ah yes, now I remember. Thanks!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh what good stories you guys have. It was a fabulous time for me. Made many friends, but only one has kept in touch and we are still good friends today.

Anyway one of the many memories of a night I so loved was of a guild event. The guild I was in did Friday night fun things. So for this one we got in groups of 3 or 4 and

went to town and talked an NPC into joining us on our journey. Ours was a wimpy, whiny guy. We had to keep him alive for a long journey to meet up with our guild . The winners would get a bunch of gold .

Of course everything in the world would attack this NPC. He was a magnet for trouble. He'd run around screaming 'help me, help me' I don't want to die. So funny. ;) It

really kept us on our toes to try to keep him alive. It was such a wonderful night, and of course there were many others fun times, but I just loved the ability to mess

around with those NPCs like that. They said such funny things.

3. Cathan

Cathan Avatar

Ah, fond memories. I remember getting my first house about a week after I started playing. I logged into Sonoma, and before I had taken two steps a person came up to me, asked me if I was a new player, and then gave me his house, saying he was leaving the game. His house was RIGHT outside town, too.

My character was a shepherd, so I used to have fun shepherding birds through town, looking sorta like the pied piper.

That was a great game. :)

Bellbane, Kal, Lord Royou and 2 others like this.
  4. Rade

Rade Avatar

I remember quite fondly sitting at the Britain forge on the Chesapeake server in 1997 doing repairs for people who would line up for me. Reputable smiths were few and far between, but I soon found myself getting entire bags full of Invulnerability and vanquishing items to repair. A good reputation and good smithing skill earned me lots of decent tip money and a prime vendor location at the home of a customer who appreciated my in-game work ethic. I found myself in the United Blacksmiths of Britannia not long after and quickly maxxed out all of the crafting skills. The UBB forged its own player town around a small lake southwest of Trinsic called Hammerfell and enjoyed a strong community with a lot of player created events and fun.

I was originally excited about bulk order deeds, but quickly realized it would be the end of anyone's reliance on me for repairs as every player in the game rushed to create GM smiths to get the uber lewt. I always believed that anything beyond one character slot per shard would lessen players reliance on one another and hurt the community aspects of the game. I am pleased to see that oversight will be corrected in SotA.

Kal, Idunaz, Alexander and 1 other person like this.
  5. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

It would have to be watching someone cast their first blade spirit :)

ledoc and Rilman like this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

The old server that had rat men and lizard men attacking Brit with the occasional giant snake rain. Those were the best of times just trying to gain enough skill to survive outside town and scrounge up some bone armor. Everyone was poor. If you had a horse it was considered a good mount. If you could control a dragon you were a God.

Kal likes this.
  8. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Avatar

I played a full maxed out thief. So much fun looking in other bags, stealing things and then just run away hide wait 2 minutes and then teleport away to home :D I was specialized on stealing money in dungeons from dragons and players.

My method:

- Stealth to player
    - Open Backpack
    - Steal money
    - Run away 10 Tiles
    - Hide
    - Stealth away 10 Tiles
    - Wait 30 sec
    - Teleport to cove bank (No guards)
    - Save the money :D

50 Ways to loot another:

Here is the uo thief song:

Siili likes this.
  9. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

Gold!!

Just remembered having only 1 computer to share with my brother and having to do shifts when factions first came out to help guard to Sigils for 24 hours. Weren't the best days of PvP but those early days of factions had some pretty huge battles.

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'll give you a silly one. It was 1997. UO was the first MMO I'd ever been in. My mind was blown... I couldn't believe I was in a real world, with real people.

I was delirious. I was feeling stupid. Someone was making cloaks and gave me one. I went outside and ran up and down the street shouting, SUPERMAAAAAAN! SUPERMAAAAAAN! SUPERMAAAAAAN! with the cape blowing behind me.

Totally silly, I know. Even for me at that time of my life (I was 22 years old!) it was utterly silly. But I was so, so, so happy and mind-blown, I couldn't control the silliness because of my happiness.

11. Eldgrim

Eldgrim Avatar

> tossing a purple pot on a stack of purple pots to kill afk's
    > trapped boxes between brit west bank and brit moongate
    > small houses on top of lord british's castle
    > small houses placed in a ring without gaps between them to block out a large area in the middle for a guild
    > 87 magery player winning against 100 magery player because pvp was a real life skill not a number or a level or an item
    > the different shades of safety and not being totally safe anywhere
    > being red and teleporting through town to avoid getting wacked
    > a rune marked to an underground cave room in yew
    > stealthing into a house behind the owner and looting everything when he leaves
    > helping noobs
    > that shard you could play with 100 skill gates and items you could get by typing something, this one is foggy, or maybe it was "set magery 100" and "get reg bag" and there were faction battles green people in a castle by brit GY, summon 4 daemons and run in yelling "all kill"

Kal and Mattsy like this.
  12. Fringe

Fringe Avatar

So many great memories but my favorite has to be....

Back when UO launched I played with some close RL friends for the 1st month or so on Great Lakes. They all split from the game pretty quickly so I was left to myself to make my own fun.

I spent many hours loot recalling (as I called it). Go into dungeons, ignore the baddies, loot every locked box until I was full, recall out to my merchant tents at the Moonglow moongate. Once there I would catalog my loot and place on vendors for insanely cheep prices and repeat the process. No matter how many times the PKers tried to get me in those dungeons, I always managed to recall out just in the nick of time...a situation that always got my hearth thumping. Can't say I have ever had a game before or since get my adrenaline going like UO did.

I went on like this for several months and eventually made some friends, joined some guilds, roleplayed lots, etc. but some of those moments playing by myself really set the foundation for my future fun. Both financially and strategically.

Bellbane, Lord Royou and Kal like this.
  13. Klemper

Klemper Avatar

I would have to say that one of my favorite activities was sailing my boat north of Britain and sailing it behind a cliff, completely concealing it and making me untargetable. My friends would then park two more boats around mine and I would set a macro to mine ore (this was a time when unattended macroing was not illegal and not frowned upon. I would then hide and mine... back then you could mine without revealing yourself). I would come home at the end of the work day, and sail my ore to my Large Smithy house to the swamp north of Trinsic, where I would drop the gazillion tons of ore on to my front porch, and smelt it all. I still to this day have many ingots from those early days. I watched a player spend hours trying to figure out how to take me out on my concealed mining boat/hidey hole area, but never could target me.

Another memory that was quite funny, was that when a player would talk in game, they would not be revealed. My first trip into Dungeon Shame had all of these invisible players talking with text popping over their heads.

Lord Royou and Kal like this.
  14. Klemper

Klemper Avatar

Oh and when I first started playing UO, I met up with two players at the Inn on Atlantic.... they were always seen standing outside the Inn.... Lexce and Max Sterling....... they helped me a lot with learning how to survive in UO in the very beginning..... Learning to survive was an awesome thing to me.... avoid anyone with a red name.... if someone goes gray, around you, get out of there...... or kill them

The reputation patch pretty much ruined the game for me.... and the Felucca/Trammel split.... because a lot of the FIGHT OR FLIGHT aspects were altered.... I continued to play... but it was never the same. Glorious Lord Big Taco..... yes and my personal rule...... AVOID anyone named after FOOD.... they are a PKer

My wife and I used to play together as Bank Thieves at the West Britain Bank.... (Bonnie and Clyde) We would wear the same colors as a popular Guild..... Burgundy and Blue colors if I remember correctly.... Ticked them off severely! My wife and I made a deal with them.... we could wear their colors if we never stole from them. We honored that agreement. Oh and then there was Sir Timothy, who used to teleport on top of the West Britain Bank to avoid us!

Bellbane, Lord Royou and Kal like this.
  15. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I didn't realise I would go Red if I killed npcs and I was looking to decrease my fame, so I was pretty horrified to find myself in Fel marked as a red. This one guy ran up in to his house and I managed to somehow convince him I wasn't evil and had made a mistake. We then spent about 2 hoursa playing chess and he let me stay logged in his house safe until my red status wore off.
    Second best would be finding a bag on the floor just running around Tramm, I picked it up and inside was a full rangers set, a potted tree and a few paintings, I made enough gold to buy myself my first house. I did spend a few minutes looking to see if anyone was around who might have dropped it but the nearest guy had no idea :S

16. lemonkey

lemonkey Avatar

One of my favorite times in Ultima Online was spent wandering through the forests and coming upon a tavern right in the middle of nowhere. Even better still, a tavern that had people who regularly met there to sit and chat/tell stories/etc. It really made the world feel truly persistent and I looked forward to each scheduled event.

Lord Royou, Eriador and Kal like this.
  17. Mattsy

Mattsy Avatar

Yes! Can't remember the name of it but that was great fun!

18. crendelmac

crendelmac Avatar

Ok, I can't just do one of each, so here's my best few and worst few memories...

Best:

Getting blessed with the opportunity to join my first guild, OoJ (Orders of Justice) on Napa. Some of the most wonderful people I have ever met online... and still keep touch with several of them long after we departed the game.

Getting to place my first tower on Ice Isle Felucca side. I was so ecstatic! I never shook so much when the IDOC fell I almost didn't get it down in time!

Killing our first Harrower. WOW what a challenge that was! But OMG what loot!

Worst:

As a newb, I was out mining north of Brit in one of the caves... out of nowhere all i see is "AHHAHAHAHAHA!" and an invisible PK came out of nowhere and In Vas Flam'd me! ...dead...

Losing my first house when I had no idea about the timeline for 'refreshing' the door... only made that mistake once!!

Buying a bless deed, applying it to my silver vanq short spear and later that same night, losing it to a disarm bug! I actually think I shed a tear!

Finally... P16... you old-schoolers know what I'm talking about!

Kal likes this.
  19. Hawkins

Hawkins Avatar

I ever received a 700,000 bank note in the bank of Skara Brae. I guess someone was exploiting a bug there but accidentally I became the beneficiary. :D And I didn't report it because I got 700,000. That's around the price of a villa back then, when I was very broke as I just returned UO Third Dawn with a new account.

Lord Royou and Kal like this.
  20. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

The first time (and only) I got scammed. Running through Fel and saw a red, so I hid. He tracked me down and told me not to worry he wasn't going to kill me. He checked out my gear and said he had some stuff I could use and showed me back to his house. He gave me a bunch of better gear and then said there was a sword on his vendor that would work good with it. So I bought this sword for 10k. Then he went on to show me some pvp tricks and how to hide and how to run, dropping chairs, etc. Then told me I had 10 seconds to run. Needless to say he caught me quickly and butchered me. He took back the sword but left all the gear and didn't camp me. I remember laughing my head off at how I got suckered. But it was a good lesson, 10k well spent and I did walk away with better gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.