Your fondest UO memory? Or, worst UO memory?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by crossbowsoda, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

My fiance/wife/ex-wife cheated on me and left me for her future husband that she met through me as he was an online friend/guildie.

Now, I can't decide is if that is the best or worst memory...

2. Bure

Bure Avatar

I remember living in the barracks at Ft. Benning, GA back in 1998 and alot of us played UO. After final formation for the day, we would run up to our rooms and log on as fast as we could, and all meet in game for a dungeon crawl somewhere. That is probably one of my fondest memory, the closeness of the community.

My worst memory would have to relate to buying some ingots off a vendor just outside of town. By the time I realized I had bought enough to make my character over weight, out comes a PK. I was easy prey as I couldn't move and couldn't click fast enough to drop the ingots. Oh the good old days

Lord Royou and Olahorand like this.
  3. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

best:
    - placed my tram castle at my dream spot.
    - finally legendary tamer

worst:
    - my live in my first fel small tower
    my little worker was killed every day,
    it was nearly impossible to reach my home with ressorces i gathered,
    my neighbour killed my every time he saw me, in my home, through the walls and rezzkilled me although
    wow, that was a fun time :mad:

4. bmoconno

bmoconno Avatar

I really love reading about other peoples memories about what is absolutely my most favorite game of all time.

It's hard to pick a single memory. I loved my guild. I loved Moonglow. I loved IDOCs and placing houses. I loved crafting. I loved playing on my disarm thief. I loved every moment I played UO.

Sure, terrible things happened to me (exploits that saw my houses robbed, Trammel, losing my castle when the house claiming system came online), but I wouldn't trade any of it!

I realize that SotA is going to be an entirely different game, but I'm excited to see what Lord British has in store for us!

5. Ceal Astra

Ceal Astra Avatar

Ah, I loved everything about Moonglow... Favorite memories would have to include early days, learning to bake with a complete stranger, my first boat, (shamefully) leveling my archery in the zoo >.>

I don't remember a worst memory, but most embarrassing would be the time I forgot to equip a weapon, and attacked a pig outside Britain, and after it killed me, it continued chasing my ghost through town until I took refuge behind the castle gate. My friend and I were dying with laughter, but sooooo embarrassing.

Bellbane and Olahorand like this.
  6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Before AoS:
    - Best is hard to say. Fist time to log-in, reading the rulebook and selecting my face... To feel a living world, to find my first friends inside, even to kill animals for money. Exploring, to tame some animals. To put my first small house and to feel very powerful because I got 100% in one skill, some role playing. My first llama vortex. :p So, the early beginning.​
    - To be overkilled while I was new and I was just trying to talk and meet people. I lost even my key.​

Ater Aos:
    - First time I read that "I had an artifact". I know, them sucks but I never feel something similar for an item, even in "moderns" MMOs where the equipment is everything. Also fist time that I killed the last champion with a lot of mates from different and international guilds. And I got a +25 stat scroll!​
    - When my house fell down (EA changed some rules in the housing system, so you needed to log-in faster to refresh the house). Ciao UO forever.​

Lord Royou likes this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

And I will add in bad moments: When RG left EA/UO.

8. Piecekeeper

Piecekeeper Avatar

Lake Superior here. I played all through college and it kept me sane when I failed out(partially due to not showing up for tests when farming dragons). My favorite memory was with a group of guys I ran with, Bud, Saint Rob, and Jira. We perfected the hally explode one shot kill and when that nerfed moved to heavy xbow mass slaughters. We would have one player in all valorite running around as bait and run reds into us all night.
    My first great memory was the first time I went on a red raid. We ran into Papa Smurf. 100 resist when it was impossible to level and everything under energy bolt did nothing at all, e bolts took 1-3 hp off him. We fired hundreds of spells off, at least 10 of us, while he slowly picked us off laughing the whole time. I then vowed to someday be so epic...

WolfGeist and Royou like this.
  9. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Probably meeting LB at his castle in the beta, and being at Blackthorn's castle when Rainz killed LB. I was there! I took these screenshots;

[​IMG]
    This is the 2nd time I met LB, the first time I met him he was near his garden I asked him what
    he was doing he said "testing the music". Shortly later I saw him in the throne room, I'm the one
    on the right, back then I seemed to play in full screen mode for some reason.

[​IMG]
    That's my yellow text saying "Indeed, mages", seconds before he died LB said "I see there are mages among us",
    I had yellow text because I was copying LB who also had yellow text, I happened to take the only known screenshot
    of dead LB with his LB armor on. For the most detailed image gallery chronology of when LB died in
    UO check out my The Death of Lord British page: http://uol.artfulgamer.com/archives/razimus/lbd.html

Khloec and Lord Royou like this.
  10. Royou

Royou Avatar

Cwmbran South Wales UK (Gods own Country)

I bet that was a Dev in disguise.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Belrindor

Belrindor Avatar

Worst memory in UO is when after 6 months of saving for a house someone was able to wait beside my house until I logged on and PK me before I was even out of the loading screen. They then looted my body, took my keys, and I lost everything I owned just like that in the snap of my fingers. Some guy by the name of Reltorr or something like that.

I quit then and there and have never been back.

12. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

I'M SO SORRY!! If I had known it was yooooouuuu...

j/k That really sucks. But I totally understand.

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I forget the names of places but i was passing by the Training area in Thelom, where you could pay a NPC to beat up. There were three people causing trouble there, killing other peoples hirelings they were training with and basically being jerks. I hate this type of behavior and had to speak up, they were from memory very abusive as they were in Trammel and of course i couldn't plain outright kill them there. Well i opened a gate to Felucia, to my little shed by Brit graveyard and they followed me in for the arranged fight.
    It was 3 v me and i thought i was in trouble but i knew then they were miles away and would not likely be back terrorizing the new players whatever the outcome. I needed not have worried as they were terrible, a typical bully with no class or skill and i killed them all off in no time. Feeling rather pleased and relieved with myself i happily looted their corpses and killed their horses( me bad) and in a short time one then the other came running back on their corpse run, being chased by wraiths. The pleading from these two to help them, lightly poisoned by the wraiths but with no means of reversal was all rather comical and i just sat and watched them die. It seemed a just end to their day of picking on new players when in fact they were not much more themselves.

14. Caerunnos

Caerunnos Avatar

So many good memories of UO, it's hard to recount ! GM'ing blacksmithing early on, and being so happy that I'd just sit in Britain offering free repairs for days on end... Meeting friends and enemies that would be around for years.. The first time a very good Red stole my regs, and mercilessly pursued me across half a continent - the sheer persistence had me laughing and cursing all at once.

Not much in the negative : Spending the first 6 weeks of gameplay hoarding gold coin to buy a small house deed, and being certain that I'd found an out of the way coastline where it could be placed. Naturally after being unable for hours to place it properly - I resorted to asking help from a casual acquaintance I'd met around the Brit bank a few times... who claimed to be excellent at dropping houses into difficult spots. ( tell me if you've heard this one before, LoL.. ) One moongate later, and handing over the property deed -- *Kal Ort Por* and never saw him again. Man was I bitter and outraged ! Thankfully it didn't destroy my ability to trust everyone in UO ..but it sure taught me a valuable lesson about playing in these newfound online communities. :D And honorable mention for never being a fan of when Taming got so out of hand powerful, that everyone simply *had* to have dogs, dragons, etc flocked around them. Pretty sure I was a minority opinion on that one, though.

A little more reflection tells me that the single greatest moment of my time in UO was almost definitely when we purchased a second PC for the house - no longer would my wife be demanding it was "her turn" to play !!

ledoc likes this.
  15. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Didn't really play UO that much... Worst memory, will have to be that it totally ROFLstomped existing Ultima lore with stuff like ninjas and samurais.... :/

DimwitTheWise likes this.
  16. Redbluefire

Redbluefire Avatar

I played Lake Superior for quite some time. I started just after LBR, and I remember one of the first things I did was craft a bag of 50 leather helmets. I sat by Brit bank trying to sell them for hours and I had no idea why nobody was buying them! :p

But my best memory was when I met someone who was quitting, and they asked if I wanted all their stuff (house included!). Of course I did! They gave me a marble tower in fel, and a bank check for 1 mil gold! I don't remember who you were, but thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. Trippy

Trippy Avatar

I'll post them as I remember but something that UO had that I have not seen in other games was the random tasks that would pop up. I remember one time a Dev/GM/someone showed up and said the city needed lots of logs. About a dozen lumberjacks and I farmed for about 30 minutes and gave all the logs to the him. Once it was over, he gave us all a unique sash. Hope there are things like this in Shroud.

Redbluefire likes this.
  18. sirkrazyk

sirkrazyk Avatar

KrazyK/Dead Bear
    Sonoma

My fondest memory was waiting at an IDOC for 24 hours. I thought the small tower would fall at any second and just when I thought it was going to fall... the owner came running through the forest and opened the door! The owner was a good person though, I told him/her about my wait and they gave me a whispering rose.

Another memorable moment was winning the horse race tournament series at the Britain farms that was hosted by UO Stratics. I cant remember what the prize was but I remember it being a bag full of sweet rares and a nice size check!

19. Kalorexoc

Kalorexoc Avatar

My fondest memory was "running the Gauntlet" as I called it. Which was basically the road from Brit to Vespar or Crossroads. I remember running down that road my first day in UO, Circa 1997? I was in Middle school. I was traveling from Minoc with the intentions on getting to Brit and see LB's castle. Well, it wasn't long down that road that suddenly characters with red names didn't seem to enjoy my company as much as i thought I would theirs... So i started booking it towards Brit. One gave chase while the other yelled at me. I DO remember that the one PK chasing me had a Halberd AND Heater shield equipped! anyone remember that from way back when? before they took that ability out lol?

Anyways, he finally got tires of chasing me, and after a long frightening run I was nearing the end of my journey...until, "Whats this? a medium wooden box unlocked...with 25 stones of weight inside of it, in the middle of the road? right outside Brit? LB's castle can wait, what fortune awaits me inside this box!?!"

So, i opened it..found something to the affect of 25 books inside, and a nice deadly poison trap. So as i began to frantically run around in circles, a guy with a rather Gandalf appearance pops up out of no where, proceeds to finish me off, desecrate my body with his pet chicken, and his body...and then say something very similar to "Thanks for the shitty shoes *******!"....I was the *******.....?

It was at that very moment, I knew I had found my favorite game (aside from Ultima 7 pt1 and pt2).

Caerunnos likes this.
  20. Kalorexoc

Kalorexoc Avatar

Oh, Also I remember when I met some guy at the brit bank, he gave me like 2 millions gold coins, and said have a nice night! I was so excited, and then i followed a bunch of other people the the graveyard where other players were gathering for a massive fight Reds versus blues, apparently this was a nightly ritual. While people fought, and called me newb, I looted so many bodies and amassed so much amazing loot/armor/items I thought i was set for life!! Then i learned that the servers go down at night. and wont be back up for hours. and that the last 20-30 minutes don't save...
    Man was i pissed.

Bellbane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.