You're losing PvP cause..

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Antrax Artek, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I would like to deal with pvp argument and how many players continue to say false about pvp balance.
    At first it was said that the death school had a huge advantage, following these statements was repeatedly nerfed in the various patches, also increasing the fizzle chance with any nolight armor.
    So attention has shifted to the various schools opposed like air and earth or mores.
    The flame on the buff lasted for months, so players thought it would take too much advantage of those who used them.
    In short I heard them all, every school was attacked in its own way, not only magic but swords and bow were also considered op.
    Having tested a lot at this point I really came to the point of thinking that the bigger problem are players, their closed and bigoted mentality, their need for relief, the total absence of the hard core idea, the lack of creativity in creating decks and combinations of equipment. Equal to the inexperienced worker who complains about the government because he does not find a job.
    Many of you seem to have completely forgotten the ultima online soul, what @Lord British and his team wanted to bring to life with this masterpiece.
    I've really tried so many combinations, mastering all the weapons:

Dagger + cloth armor and death
    Bow + Mail and Light
    Staff + cloth and death + air + ice
    Dagger + plate and fire + moon
    Axe + full plate and light
    Pure Ax warrior and plate
    Pure Archer with mail
    Pure dual wield sword with plate
    Sword and shield and light armor and many more
    Pure ice mage and cloth
    Pure death mage and cloth
    Fire+air mage + mail and many many more
    Polearm+shield and mail earth and ice
    2h Polearm+plate and some death

I've won near all duels and fight in pvp with any of them and you want to know the secret? There isn't.
    For now my mind works at 100% and i can do better and better decks everyday and improve my real skill and reflexes and i'm not alone i hope (Kor is a good sample).
    I would like to help you understand the game, the actual power of a character is based on a myriad of possibilities and variables, not through schools like 90% of you believe:

Adventuring Level
    Equipment
    Decks
    Number of Glyph in deck
    Number of locked and unlocked Glyph
    Status/Attributes
    Magic and Elemental resist
    Potions
    Poisons
    Player real skills
    Reflexes
    Good Performance
    Foods
    Pets
    Passive skills
    Skills Combinations
    Brain

All this overwhelmed, it is compulsory to win any type of pvp, duel, outdoor combat, but not only, it is the base of pvm.
    Magic Schools are not op, the combination of all variables is.
    All this to make it clear, especially to new players that there is no imbalance in the game, there is no unbeatable combination and that anyone with a bit of brain can achieve excellent results.
    Stop this false spin that does not bring anything good if it does not ruin the perfect harmony of the gameplay of this game.
    I want to remember once again, Sota starts from the basics of our Ultima online.
    If you're losing your pvp the problem are you, not the game. Remember on the other side of the screen there is another people not a robot.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

So really what you are saying is if you lose in PvP it is because you are bad at it? or did I miss understand "the game is balaced and anyone with a brain can win."

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

haha indeed, and "starts from the basics of ultima online" rofl...

mhm...

Sir Cabirus and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

No, these days people are going crazy cause they lose vs me
    Yes: if you lose in PvP it is because you are bad at it

Lou100 likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I disagree with you. I think that's an oversimplification of how this game works and doesn't work.

1. This game requires very little player skill to be "good". It's all about character skill. If you lose in pvp you may be bad at it, but probably your character build is bad.
    2. The reason players are constantly complaining about one skill over another is because every time there is a change to balance one skill the other skills immediately fall out of balance. This is the fatal flaw of this combat system. A flaw that I've been talking about for 4 years. To put it simply, if you make Death Magic 20% less powerful, by default you're making all the other spells and skills 20% more powerful. Which is why once the devs "balance" earth magic, everyone will gravitate towards the new "bestest" skill that does the most damage and either use it or complain about it.
    3. There are also factors outside of your character build and your player skill that impact PVP GREATLY, like artifacts and potions, and if the claim is that people that use these effectively is a deciding factor in who is "good" or "bad" at pvp, then this would only show how dense the pvp combat in our game is because that means everyone needs to be using as many potions and artifacts as possible (which is not a sign of skill, just poor combat design).

So I would ask you to reconsider your statement quoted above. It's not helpful to make pvp better, and it ignores important realities that must be considered if we're ever to evolve what we have into something that can be considered "skillful" when you win.

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Wow, just read this all. Wow...

This goes back to what I have said many times, every PvP'er in this game thinks they are the best PvP'er ever. Every PvP'er in Uo thinks they were the best PvP'er ever.

Once again this is an attack on the majority of players in this game that is still in BETA asking for balance before release which is what our responsibility is to do... communicate to the dev's how things are looking in the game... right or wrong. Yet, they continue to be attacked for doing, usually by the 1% people who are vested in their current "uberist" build that can be had and have a vested interest in not changing it. This post is shameful and absolutely not accurate to how balanced PvP has been since persistence.

I see someone probably running around with different builds ganking people who are probably engaged in mobs... not one on one even starts (like you would see in virtue league)... claiming they are even. Sure... every build can kill someone when you jump a poor guy with half health engaged on a mob.

however, I agree, PvP has been becoming more balanced, especially recently. We no longer see cookie cutter air mages like last Sept, and no longer see cookie cutter death mages like last December. Now there are far more build that can be competitive. In fact, Im shocked at the purpose of this thread. I actually have not seen anyone complain about PvP balance in a while, most complaint I have seen are related to PvE (right now lots on Bows).

Stop attacking the people playing this game.

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You're losing PvP cause...

it will take me some more time to withstand your nice crit of 622 damage :p

and just to say about balance *cough* and UO - you know i just repeat hearsays - i was told there was a cap and *cough* nobody does crits that are 5 times higher than their own crits
    and nobody had double hp and such, but don't lawyer me bro' i ust was told so :rolleyes:

seriously i am a lowlevel, but... lets talk about it when i have tried this all out - unfortunately this will take some time *cough*

and then we talk about playerskill ;)

8. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I don't know what u're used to do in pvp, but I always do consensual duel, if your game is attacking people with less than half hp, gl, you're really pro

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If I was new to PvP, what's the first thing I should develop?

I am leaning to Earth magic + mace (not decided yet) + armor type to be determined

Great timing on this thread, exactly what I was looking for.

10. Drocis the Devious

LOL

That's really the best summarized way to reply to the OP.

Someone that gets wtpowned!1!1!! in one or two hits....what a horrible pvp player. ;)

Stundorn and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Coupe de grace on pvm mob, take a look at wiki (it does 5x dmg below 20% health, cost great mana and miss too much)
    PS: i never used it in duels or any pvp

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Post up some videos for proof. Lets see your elite PvP skills at work.

Ive steamed dozens of virtue league matches over the past 1.5 years.

King Robert and FrostII like this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I'm not here to show my tests and skill, if you want be good do it by yourself ;)
    Anyway today i've done many duels with some elite player for testing ( i don't give video or name cause i'm not here to put shame on friends).
    If they would , they will be able to intervene directly in the discussion.

14. Drocis the Devious

The core of this game, any build, any deck, is based on DPS. Max out whatever you think is cool and go attack people. There's not much more to this combat system.

Yes, there are three types of armor. Yes, there's magic resistance. Yes, it's great to have as much armor and as much magic resistance as possible. But at the end of the day, don't be fooled by anyone that thinks they have some kind of special formula or they're really smart or super clever during the fight. It's all about how much damage you can do and how quickly you can do it.

15. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Pm me on discord ;) i can help u

16. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I just wanted to explain that there is no special formula but only the brain.
    Maybe u misunderstood the post, cause u're only repeating what i've said, but with a critical attitude lol

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, I still take craaap for complaining about air magic in September when an air mage could walk out, spam chain ligning and kill someone in 3 seconds. At the same time, the crowd literally 100 in game yards away and 10 yards up on a wall would get hit with it. Clearly major issues that needed to be fixed. But the elite players fought about it with truly and honestly *nothing* backing up their stand other then they wanted to continue to use its utter destructiveness.... and every single player switched to be an air mage... which says something alone.

I honestly just think the OP is confused. Death magic for PvP got fixed pretty fast. Mostly that was us getting hit by death ray for 400 hp and watching the other player being healed for 300 at the same time (lich ring being a key here). They fixed that fast. Even the death mages back then said "ya, death makes a mediocre player great". I railed on after that relating to death and PvE specifically sure to the corpse explosion bug and the fact they could take out 30K ho mobs with is due to its endless supply of mana and health from tapping. Both fixed but it took months. I actually think death is perfectly balance now and people still are able to throw in death magic in PvP builds and are still top tier competitive.

The point being... THAT is balance... that is how is should be.

18. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Totally agree

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ive proven my ability to PvP in this game. People know my name. However, I have never seen nor heard of you. I dont have anything to prove. However, you are here proclaiming your elite PvP ability and putting down the community and you have not proven anything. What makes you such a great PvP'er in SOTA?

FrostII likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

No, I believe you're misunderstanding me.

I'm saying that this game requires very little thinking and a lot of grinding to be good at pvp. I'm saying that if my character is higher level than yours, I'm going to win in pvp because doing more damage to you than you do to me is how you win.

I'm also saying that it doesn't take a great intellect to grind. Just a lot of time. I'm not saying that pvp can't still sometimes be fun or sometimes allow one person to out smart another. I'm just saying that on a macro level the game is all about DPS, and you get the most DPS by having higher skills than someone else, which means that whoever grinds the most has the best chance of winning.

You disagree with that, which is fine. But there's no misunderstanding about what you're saying...I just think it's wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.