You're losing PvP cause..

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Antrax Artek, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Wait, guards arn't going to do much more then they do now? Where was this said / posted?

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

In the last dev hangout.

They may do some more stuff in PVE...but there are technical reasons (and use cases) that the devs appear to be uninterested in creating solutions for.

I'm now hoping that perhaps we can get guard "towers" that attack players that do bad things.

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Oh ****.
    That goes against.. so many things. .. huh
    Appreciate the quick response. I had missed that.

4. Xarras

Xarras Avatar

I've only been playing for a few months, always in pvp, and have only been "challenged" once. The other dozen or so times I've been in a pvp situation it's been whilst I'm dealing with a PVE fight. At my level and experience I don't expect to win but I would like to get some fighting experience from the situation instead of getting killed before I realise I'm in a pvp fight. I'm enjoying the whole game, especially the thrill of a sudden pvp confrontation, but so far I've only experienced Rouges and Antrax you killed me at a res-point hardly the action of a Gentlemen ;-)

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You can do it and get the extra 10% of xp, but you will hardly win any battle except people like you or me would flag themself more often or allways.
    Or visit pvp scenes.
    But to win you need practice and to understand the skills you and your opponent is using, at least all skills.
    On Page one @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos
    wrote it's all about dps.
    Sure but it is also about your level very much, your skills and your deck, your buffs, if you are observed before to pick the best counter build etc... etc...

But one thing you need to know.
    I dont know how much heatlh and focus you have.
    But people max have double or triple.
    They may make 3-5 times the damage you can do.
    They may have all resistancies high and high end gear.
    And to get to the point where the measures are you need to grind a long long time.
    I for myself, although i like RPvP renounce until things are better balanced and it's more about playerskill than about grind time.
    But without any caps, i think you / we can forget this. Sure there are "ways" to do it. But i wouldnt like to walk this Path.

6. Drocis the Devious

This is the major flaw with the current pvp system. Only the fools or the insanely high level farm xp in pvp zones. The rest of the people there are only there to kill the fools.

The developers seem to think that's ok, that MMO PVP is really more about group vs. group fighting, and they don't seem to have a plan or a want to support solo pvp fighting. Which is very unfortunate. I keep trying to change their minds, but it's probably going to take a lot more people speaking up before we see real action.

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

At least for PvP scenes there should be no groups, but friendly fire!
    The lore says that the shards make us wild and attacks anyone, even other outlandrss/ avatars or friends!

PvP scenes would make more sense in total if you are allways solo and everybody can attack everybody.
    Then also the false flag invites for PvP scenes stop. Once someone wrote he was invited to a PvP group, they entered, disbanded and killed him.
    Now one will say what great PvP tactics.
    I don't want to talk about Honor in war , there is none.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

PvP is not about DPS. My best strategies in PvP as knockdowns, stuns, charges and high healing over time as well as buff buff buff.

Stundorn likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

With couple of month space between the last time I played I think they've done a good job balancing some of the skills.
    I still think though melees and archers are having a hard time still.

Back then they already made some of the stuff that was possible (like being unkillable) no longer possible.
    Even before I was always under the impression a decent group of people can beat anyone.
    I think a lot of skills lack their purpose now though, Chaotic Feedback has no place in any build anymore imho, maybe I have to look at it from a different pov.
    Same goes for other skills that got nerfed in the past.

I pretty much agree with the OP though that basically any build can be viable in certain situations.
    However that doesn't solve the problem that you still need to level most of the magic tree for its resistances... but I don't think we will see anything else in the near future.
    Also some skills that require twitchy reactions should IMHO be way more beneficial - opportunity strike e.g.

More schools need skills like that as well.

Also it would be nice I think if more buffs would cancel each other out, but they become more powerful on their own.
    We also need some form of purge on enemy's buffs.. so they need to recast them.

Overall combat is really something that is becoming more positive in Shroud. Well done @Chris !

2112Starman and Stundorn like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

When you knock someone down, their DPS is zero. It's always about DPS.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't think anyone here does not understand that you need to deal damage to kill someone, but what many are pointing out is that they can take people who can possibly deal more dps then them out in other ways, meaning pure dps does not give you the sure win in a fight.

E n v y, Stundorn and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Vallo Frostbane although i am more the theorycrafter here about pvp i agree and i also see that all nerfs or adjustements are going more or less in the right direction, but there are a lot of more things that need to be adjustet and the time to grind a competetive PVP Character is too much imho.

i like your idea of limiting skills in decks to balance the Jack of all Trades versus a more specialized character.
    Resitancies need to go completely from skilltrees if you ask me.

Someone wrote up about Reistance Potions, and that they need to forbid them at EVL Tournament because two Mages couldnt kill each other.

Where can i find the recipes for those Potions, anyone has a clue?
    I think making the Resistancie thing a Potions only thing would be a good solution.

Actually i'm thinking over to not use Earth Embrace anymore, because i do not use any other spell of Earthmagic and i want to reduce my Skills or Spells i use as a XYZ Mage in total.
    I just dont want to use some schools and have still hope that i dont need to to become competetive in PVP. Actually its not possible, but maybe in the future when more balancing adjustement is done.

Another question i may ask here:
    What about Potions instead of the Stat Buffs - i didn't use Potions, but some days ago i figured out i can use them while in combat.
    So i began to use Focus Potions while in Combat and i looted a Dex Potion what gives higher Boni than Airs Embrace without any penalty.
    Sure it lasts not that long, but i jut thought its maybe an option to use Potions instead of the buffs, not all the time, but when i feel it would help.
    Due to limited space in the non combat bar i already discarded the STR-Buff from Earth i think it doesnt help me that much and although the Focus penaltie isnt that hard, i now use this slot for Potions.

13. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I lose in PVP because the people I come across to go up against have really high skill levels compared to my toon. I have 1 GM skill which is polearm. Most people that I come across have 15-30+ GM skills. So it's a combination of, those people having more time to play, which in turn leads to them having more knowledge of the game and it's systems, making them more skilled than I. . and their characters simply being innately superior to mine. . . which is obviously my fault for not playing as much. It's been 2 years since I felt like I could actually compete with anyone.

14. Drocis the Devious

That misses my point.

When I say that the game is all about DPS, what I mean is that there's not a lot going on beyond that. Yes, you can stun, root, sneak up on someone, mez, knockdown, etc... But at the end of the day the entire exercise of combat is about who does more damage faster. DPS is not just who can get the most damage per second, it's about who can sustain that damage per second throughout an entire fight. So to not include all the time that you're stunned, knocked down, mezzed, etc.... is to not fully understand how this combat system works. It's great if @Sara Dreygon can do 2000 points of damage in one hit. But if she's constantly mezzed then her DPS is effectively zero.

To not include healing rate into DPS is also wrong. If someone hits you for 500 points of damage but you heal for 500, again, DPS is effectively zero. Who gives a crap if you had a big hit? Now you need another one.

The problem that people have in this discussion is that they don't get the concept of DPS being more than just OFFENSIVE damage per second. It's everything you do during the fight. You have to look at the fight holistically, and when you do that you realize that the entire combat system is about DPS.

If we had a combat system that was more like Chess and every move had a counter move, then DPS would matter far less because winning would be about counter moves and counters to counter moves. Doing 2000 points of damage in one hit wouldn't matter, because you'd either kill someone in one hit or they would use a counter move that would negate your attack entirely. It would be a game of sophistication, a thinking man's game. What we have right now is a spam fest.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Just not enough players.

Stundorn likes this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'l finish that line...

".......even less people would play"

There....done it ....... I deserve a medal :D

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  17. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

wouldnt matter with hard caps or a soft cap
    we have neither imo as most wont play long enough to ever reach it.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

That point is a reasonable one......that being said PvP without a decent playerbase......well it just becomes "chess" and combat is very predictable......very dull.

Disgruntled likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Albion Online has all kinds of people, and solid base pvp mechanics. Yet it's not satisfying to have guild vs. guild warfare as the only viable way to play the game.

More people is always a good thing to have. But it doesn't fix or develop pvp. Only good mechanics do that. If the game isn't fun, like it's not for solo players in Albion, people will leave and look for something else.

Disgruntled likes this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ok, so you saying the same thing everyone else is, I am failing to see why you are argueing with people then, are you asking for some other type of win method, like first to cast 100 spells in a fight wins? It already is like chess, knowing your opponent and countering their build and deck is HUGE. I am sorry you THINK is just a spam fest without any tactics behind it, but you have never heard or seen people trying to figure out tactics. Jack and Alex used to spend a couple hours everyday practicing and finding out new tactics, devilcult, vox starr naam spend time practicing and finding out tactics. Sometimes I will throw my 2 cents in and try and offer a tactic myself. Fizzlebang and belgator were also all about figuring out tactics. I dont know for sure myself, but I will take a guess that kor has spent a fair amount of time figuring out things as well.

2112Starman and Sara Dreygon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.