Zone and Dungeon content

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Omegaflux, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omegaflux

Omegaflux Avatar

I enjoy all the aspects of PVP in UO and am positive I will get into it here on Shroud at some point. That being said I recently had a discussion with some players about how already existing areas could be used to expand content.
    I am sure this is not a new thought but here it is anyway:
    Since PVP is already optional, and we already have the option to skip sieges and checkpoints, why not allow players to explore areas such as the Fall, Blood bay and the Shardfalls in a "non-open, non-PVP" setting. You could even keep the "Open" option as PVP only.
    This opens up these already existing (in many cases, previously unexplored) areas to everyone. Specifically those who do not wish to PVP at the time.
    New content for many, already in game. Should have little to no effect on those who enjoy real PVP (a little more effect on those who just want to PK or steal from the easy prey) and would even reduce some complaints about griefing. Seems like an easy win to me.

I have PVPed and PKed for years in UO and many other games so I have heard spamfulls of the counter arguments and still think this would be beneficial to the community.

Thanks for considering.

Witcheypoo and Tywen like this.
  2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I don't recall which release it changed, but things like the Shardfalls USED to have the ability to enter a private mode which helped to avoid any PvP. They changed it to permanently open, permanently PvP. My guess is this would not change back any time soon.

Omegaflux likes this.
  3. Tywen

Tywen Avatar

I agree with Omegaflux. I am NOT a pvper. never have been, and never will be. i'm not good at it, and its not a aspect of any game that i enjoy. therefore, there are whole zones in shroud i'll never get to experience.

Some will say that's my choice. which it is. I agree.

But at a time when staff is at a low level due to recent reductions, and yet a desire to create more content to keep the current player base interested and invested in the game, there seems to be a simple choice.

1) invest unknown numbers of man hours creating new zones, enemies and situations to fight, etc... seems like something that would easily go into the hundreds of man hours, especially when it comes to working out the bugs.

or

2) keep the non pvp choice open. create a non pvp toggle for the pvp zones.. and boom, several whole new areas for myself and like minded players to explore and play in. (i could be wrong, pvpers will certainly disagree with me, but i think the majority of Shrouds players base is similar to myself, and shuns pvp; therefore, you'd open up new content to a vast majority of the game population.).

my guess to implement options 2? probably about 30 minutes of coding.

Truly seems like a no brainer to me. I hope some efficacy minded developers will consider Omegafluxs idea. its really a good one. Otherwise, most of the players (IMO), will never seen some of the wonderiful stuff you've already created for the game.

Thanks for listening and your consideration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.