How did you find SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember lamenting how much fun I had in UO and thought "damn, I wish there were a good MMORPG for Linux". So, I made the rounds to all the current big MMO sites (WoW, TSO, etc) but none had a Linux version. They all seemed to have Mac versions, though, which I find baffling because if you can have a Mac version then it's not much of a stretch to have a Linux version. Anyway, nobody had a Linux version, so I did a search on "Linux MMORPG" (thinking that I would just turn up the usual suspects like Eternal Lands and PlaneShift) and there it was: Shroud of the Avatar! It was like...

[​IMG]

That was around R11. What's your story?

2. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I saw a post on Facebook when they launched the Kickstarter and I threw my wallet at the screen. :)

Mishras, K1000, mute209 and 6 others like this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

A friend said, "Hey Frank, you seem to have lots of money and very little restraint. Check out this Kickstarter."

4. Lained

Lained Avatar

I've been on board a day or so after the Kickstarter launch, probably heard about it via twitter.

K1000, hroth, Olthadir and 1 other person like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Homey don't play social media, so he was a bit late to the party. :(

hroth likes this.
  6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Looking around on Kickstarter, figured it was worth a pledge to see how it turned out.

hroth and Barugon like this.
  7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Pretty sure it came across as news either on Facebook or on Stratics as I was in the midst of hopelessly advocating that the UO Dev Team do something like COMPLETE the work on the newest client. Made it a point that it now became a race... either UO went ahead and finished the HD revamp in the EC or SotA released and that would be the direction I would take.

Well, in addition to real life things occurring (mainly spending a significant portion of 2016 in Shanghai), my playtime in UO dwindled to zero over the past couple years and since I have simply decided to let those accounts lapse and move to SotA (with various diversions in Path of Exile when I'm feeling more like that style of game). I have also supported Shards/Legends of Aria and will probably jump into it from time to time if I have the time.

8. Landor Gerrano

Landor Gerrano Avatar

Im a UO veteran (16 years) , because I had done all possible content, I got bored of it and quited it. 2 years later I heared about the SotA release. I asked my UO mate, caus he played very early SotA and he told me it was boring. But noneless I gave it a try and here i am playing since ~3 weeks ~136 hours in. Im not sure how far im able to go on but for now it is fun to play (exploring new stuff always fun!)

9. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

A UO Twitch streamer (Peeve) hosting my former guild head's stream (Zeapo) right at persistence. Bought it then joined his guild and sunk in tons of hours along with streaming it myself.

10. tc91101

tc91101 Avatar

I think I was emailed the kickstarter in early 2014.

11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I got a new cell phone back around 2013 and I went online to download Stones to use as my ringtone. Searching for Ultima brought up information about Lord British’s new game. I remember how excited I was!

Vermine, Rhiannon, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Ultima fan for 32 years. Started with Hacked copies of Ultima IV copied by my computer science teacher on an Apple II (just needed blank floppies) and would play for hours after school day after day.

Back then I couldn't even afford 55 dollars for a copy of Ultima V when it came out.

Been a supporter of this game through all the pain and it's finally starting to bear fruit. Looking forward to those physical rewards :)

13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I googled for 15 year for a game that looked like uo, which give you the ability to do whatever you wanted, with a nice housing system, pvp, and all that complexity. Found sota when it was beta and in kickstarter, at that time i didnt have a good enough computer to run the game but 2 year later first game i tryed when i got my new comp was this, and never stopped since :p

Barugon, hroth and Lained like this.
  14. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Kickstarter! Star Citizen had been released and I said to myself "I wish they released a revision of my other favorite game, Ultima!"

Happened a few days later.

Spoon, Barugon and Lained like this.
  15. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings All, It is my routine each morning to check out the deal sites and Kickstarter was part of that. Saw a post about a new game by Lord Briti.... did not even get to the end of the sentence before I click on it. In a previous life time I ran a software store call Games and Gadgets in Atlanta, GA and sold Apple, Atari, and Commodore 64s and played Ultima III so many times along with all the other LB games since I had access to them ;-). So I started small with a collector pledge on 2013-04-15 and then upped to Citizen before it was funded. Still throwing "my wallet at the screen" as @Oakenhammer says.

Barugon likes this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

For me and my husband, seeing "Richard Garriott" at the top more or less sold it. We'd both had some experience with various iterations of Ultima. He stumbled across an advert for this right around when the first few releases were happening and we both got on board and fiddled around with the early iterations of the game in all its clunkyness. We did this through about R20 or so, through the cycle of wipe/test/repeat. Scoff looked at me and said, "When this goes persistent, I am going to play the **** out of it." And here we are, nearing 7k hours /played....each....

Barugon and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Old Ultima V and VI fan.

Wanted an RPG for my mobile and EA had something like the Ultima Forever thingie for iPhones. (Wasn't close to the originals though, but good enough for commuting leisure.

Through that one got news of the Kickstarter. Checked it out and was at first excited - then looked at the financial goals and the feature list etc. Said to myself - that is waaaaay too little money to make anything decent. So didn't pledge a cent.

Kept tabs on the project though, then they did the monthly releases where one would get game access. There was also an alienware promotion etc. So in early-mid 2014 I got the minimum to get access. Then I read up on the business model of the lot deeds and the upcoming episodes, checked out the revenue and cost etc. Then checked out the monthly releases and that they were on time every time and with a very good hit rate on the plan-vs-execution with regularly added content. Said to myself that this is happening.
    Checked out the missed stretch goals, added two and two together and said - Episode 2 is when this is going to be really nice.

Then they released the player-owned-towns and suddenly I had the minimum pledge but with a POT.

From there I simply expanded through dedication and trading in grand tour, rares and promotions.

evillego6, Barugon, Lained and 2 others like this.
  18. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Don't remember the gaming site that made the advert, properly drank a few beers and kickstarted it just like Ultima Ascendant :)

Barugon likes this.
  19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I saw an ad pop somewhere (can't remember) for the KS. The appeal for me was a solo RPG with a strong story (Hickman!) that could crossover into multiplayer. The other appeal was getting a closer look at a game in development.

Never wanted to play an MMO, but as the game drifted into one, I had to make a choice. I chose to stay with it, but struggle to find the time to keep up with it. Even though my original interest (solo RPG/strong story) was never realized, it has been quite a learning experience. Plus, there are plenty of people I know now who keep me connected.

Barugon, Deadly Habit and Sir Frank like this.
  20. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I might have heard of it through working with/for Stratics for a short time. 19-year UO player, RG fan. I pledged as soon as Kickstarter launched. Missed the “chicken room” but I’m pretty sure I was there for the next release.

Initial pledge was minimum as that’s all I could afford. Eventually I got on a payment plan and here we are.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.