Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A noob tries dungeons

Discussion in 'Release 59 Feedback' started by oplek, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

I knew about dungeons, but I didn't watch any deep dive or anything about it. I wanted to try my hand at it with little information. Here's my experiences, which hopefully will be helpful.

Harry and I knew where these things usually start. They're craftable, so therefore, we want recipes. We set out for Ardoris. We checked out the crafting merchant, and moved onto the carpentry merchant. Seemed logical, but nothing there either. I tried Owl's Head, since sometimes it differs by town. Nope. Housing and decoration merhants? Nope.

I decided to check out POT merchant towns for recipes. I shopped till I dropped, and found nothing (I think I just got unlucky here).

I decided to try the COTO merchants... and found nothing dungeon related.

I broke down and asked The Universe for a hint. The Book Merchant, I'm told. I would not have guessed. Books? Are dungeons made out of books?

I found such a merchant and bought one of each, whereupon Harry and I recalled back to the house.

First things first, I needed an entrance. I appeared to have a recipe for that. Though, I didn't have the gems (and apparently 50 consecutive player vendors didn't either). I ended up buying the coffin entrance from someone else. I plunked it onto the ground, and tried to open it.

It wanted some kind of "deed" for the dungeon. I didn't have one. I looked through my recipes for some kind of start room, and didn't find anything. They weren't labeled as "deeds". I must have missed something.

I made the rounds through the book merchant, COTO merchants, housing deeds merchant, etc. Nothing labeled "deed" or like it might be one. I looked at the SOTA store, wondering if it was a store-only thing that had to be purchased. Yes, there's several dungeon related thingies there... including a couple "foyers".

The hell is a foyer? It looks like a room, with the crafting icon looking like the others... is that what I needed?

I had a recipe for that, and its granite requirements were steep. Sounds like promising. Sure, enough, the entrance accepted that as a selectable option. For dumb people like me, maybe the title of the "foyer" should include something about "dungeon start room"?

So then I was inside my first, one-room dungeon. I had another room to attach, but there's no instruction as to how to do this. I stumbled across it accidentally. I was at the connecting-hall join, and randomly clicking, a panel appeared which gave me some options. I closed it. I glanced over at Harry and asked, "How did I do that?" I didn't actually know.

The wall seemed to have a small hitbox where my cursor lit to green. Looking closer, I saw it. It was an extremely faint blue symbol floating in the air. Apparently that's what I clicked. It'd help if it glowed, or wasn't in the dark.

I selected my 1x1 room, and I was well on my way!

helomech likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

My dungeon design is on paper, so in a way, you get them from books. Or at least paper, which books use. And blue prints are also paper.... ;)

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

First, remember that basically we're ALL noobs when it comes to dungeons, since this is only what, the second or third month of them? I don't know where you're going to find "veterans" of a brand new system, just people who know to read the release notes, etc.

Second, nobody is going to be reselling the generic recipes/blueprints because the recipes are re-teachable (the rare ones weren't at first, it got changed when devs thought they were and found out they weren't), and they are from multiple NPC vendors. There's not a lot of point in selling RT recipes when someone can just teach them.

But also it's still in development, so I would expect that people are waiting to see how things shake out. We still haven't had our parts delivered for the store dungeon patterns. (in R60?) And selling crafted dungeon parts requires someone to craft them, which requires granite, which is in rather short supply because of all the people crafting parts for themselves.

Those gems are such "old" stuff and easy to get from mining and treasure chests that I guess nobody bothers to sell them anymore. However, I know that I have seen crafted entrances for sale on player vendors, at least in Novia Market. Maybe I should make a few and see how they sell.

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

Then all recipes should be from the bookstore. I didn't even know that "blueprints" were a thing until I found them on the merchant.

The purpose here was to provide some feedback from the perspective of someone who wouldn't have seen the notes, and had no prior knowledge, to hopefully shed some light into the intuitiveness (or lack thereof) of what's present. If it's still in development, then they need this information even more.

The very notion that our source of information for these things would come from reading monthly release notes is just staggering. It's not a question of "knowing how to read the release notes" as you so condescendingly put it, but rather, that this is a requirement, is poor game development. The entire point, as you so amazingly missed, was to see how well it could be figured out, without reading the release notes, and without having to pester other people for information.

It was definitely a struggle. Games that require you to pull out a manual and start reading, have something left to be desired.

... which, at that point of the investigation, I had no knowledge of whether they were purely loot drops or not. Given the inexplicable decision to put them on book merchants - the one of the few merchant types I forgot to check - it increasing apparent that they weren't available to simply purchase. And if I didn't' have my knowledge, in this experiment, I wasn't going to know if they were re-teachable.

I really don't know what this has to do with anything. At no point was I complaining about the availability of granite. I commented about no one selling a ruby, from those I searched, but that was more a side-comment.

I didn't care about store patterns, or anything like that. At no point did I mention looking for patterns. I was looking for anything in-game, and without having to rely on asking others, that'd clue me in on how to do it.

I checked to store to see if I could get a hint, and I got it, and immediately went to craft a "foyer" - as I had to incidentally find out was a necessary component.

So great. It's still under development. Now they can take this feedback to help identify where the rough spots are in figuring out the system. I can't wipe my memory to be a new player, to help test the NUE with a fresh perspective, but I had an opportunity to do that here. But if people are just going to erroneously nitpick the feedback, being utterly oblivious the the entire purpose, despite that purpose being clearly and unambiguously stated in sentence #2, I guess I just won't bother next time.

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Blueprints aren't a recipe, they're a consumable. And they are at the book merchant. The only recipes/blueprints that you won't find there are the rare drops.

When it's not literally last month new, people will make guides and videos. Actually, I'm sure they are out there already.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just want to point this out. If there's any missing information then please let Portalarium know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think (speculating here) that when Elwyn refers to "Release Notes" he means the Player Instructions.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.