Combo Glyph Usefullness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toadster, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

So I am wondering how many people actually use the current combo’s regularly and if they are balanced power vs trouble.

Negatives:
    You have to train two skills to use them
    You have to unlock you deck to combine them
    You have to add additional glyphs to keep from getting slugs
    Trying to stack combine and move is tedious and trying.

Positives:
    They do a different move that vcan be more powerful

But looking at douse and juxtapose:
    It gives about 5 extra dmg per tick for fire dmg but requires a lot of work to stack and use. This for me does not balance out and makes it something I rarely use in combat.

Suggestion:
    Let us drag combo glyphs into a locked slot and make the charge time equal to the combined charge time of the two glyphs used.

I think this would make combo’s more relevant and would still require someone to train two or more skills to be effective with the combo.

I would like to also see additional combo’s requiring more glyphs to use.

Evaporate = douse and juxtapose
    New combo = soothing rain + douse for a healing with fire buff
    New combo = douse + soothing rain + juxtapose for area effect evaporate.

Vaiden Luro, Sentinel2, Sid and 3 others like this.
  2. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I use hybrid locked/unlocked decks, so I’m used to constantly stacking glyphs. I want to use combos since I find them a cool part of the game. But the few that fits my build are unfortunately not useful enough.

Titan smash (knockback + body slam) delas dmg and gives knockback effect and stun.
    This one is decent. It doesn’t have the damage to armor drawback of body slam and can hit multipel targets. However crushing blow is simply better. CB takes no combo, has shorter animation and longer stun.

Splintering strike (crushing blow + stone fist) deals dmg and gives damage resistance debuff.
    This one is truly pitiful. At gm+ level in both skills it gives less than 9 points debuff and can’t even be stacked. Break armor does the same thing only way way better.

I would love a rebalancing of combos, as well as adding more. It’s a very neat concept. But I guess that not so many use them, so I can see why it’s not a high priority.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'd like to use the combo system more.

Been waiting on the devs to flesh out the system further for the trees I focus in.

Which led me to largely forget about it.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I use a mixed lock and unlocked deck (the first 5 skills are locked, like body slam etc....). With Spear, I don’t even use any combos. But with my Sword guy, I use all the combos for sword.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes, Yes, Yes !!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Vaiden Luro and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I use a mix of mostly locked and some unlocked slots and I use evaporate all the time. I have douse locked because I like to keep it active all the time and I keep the spot directly next to it unlocked and have 2 juxtapose glyphs in my deck that drop into that slot. It's pretty easy to combo them up from my mouse buttons and helps a bunch versus mobs with 1k+ health.

It's not worth the effort to stack the combo with completely unlocked glyphs for me. I've tried a few different set-ups, but have been unable to find anything that works well for me.

I wish that once I move the unlocked juxtapose onto the locked douse, I could also then charge the combo.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Charging combos could be useful, agreed.

I use quadruple slash as my primary attack (two-handed swordsman). There aren't any other combos that I use. The ice thrust might be useful, but the fiery shiv seems much too weak to throw flamefist into the mix. I use sawblade sweep with my AoE deck, but I haven't used that since shock monkeys joined the kobolds at Naryad.

Combos are super cool! More and better would be very welcomed :)

Vaiden Luro and FrostII like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes they would......... :)

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I would really like to be able to stack them with my finger jockying, but it's just not realistic. You have to make the combo twice, then stack those two together. That's a lot of real estate. I've done it occasionally, but sadly not much.

I think after you get the combo created and sitting on your bar, putting EITHER of the two original glyphs onto it should add to the stack.

Jason_M likes this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I’d prefer just letting us lock the combo glyphs.

FrostII likes this.
  11. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

That's my favorite suggestion so far. It's not cheap to stack combos with their component parts for three reasons: Combos take up more priceless deck space; cost more focus; and, despite these heft costs, are not (much) more powerful than standard glyphs that have been (more easily) stacked and charged. There may need to be a rebalancing of the combos in thia case, but not by too much in my opinion :)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  12. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I like the core mechanic that combos are harder to use. But the power level has to match the effort. They need to be rebalanced to be stronger, and they should have a way steeper increase in power when stacking because it takes twice as many glyphs and more effort.

Vladamir Begemot and Barugon like this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont use a bunch of combos at once because it takes up deck space, but i use quadrouple slash all the time in my main deck,

They have certain advantages that are situational but arent considered super powerful or anything. I use quadrouple slash to save focus (cheaper than 2 double slashes). Also if i know im about to be stunned because it will continue to hit while im stunned

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I say more combos, and better balance in existing combos (mostly: make them more effective / worth the effort)

Unlocking your deck is a good thing ;-)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Toadster FYI You can start a combo FROM a locked glyph. Hold it, then hit the unlocked one you are comboing into.

Dhanas and Jaesun like this.
  16. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I am for anything that will add more manual glyph stacking to the game.

Combo's are a good start, but you could also do things like

Stacking sheet music for a louder sound from your instrument, Bait to simulate those 5 barbed hooks, Food buffs for when you're really hungry.

Anything really.

Perhaps if they could up the stack count as well. Personally I find 5 or 6 to be inadequate.

17. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I stacked for a long time and carried mind lock to keep the stacks for the most useful time. Once the heat system was added stacking glyphs manually became more of a chore during combat than the benefit it gave. The only piece left to an unlocked deck is combo’s . And I have not found a combo that is worth going back to an unlocked deck. It was fun for a bit designing decks that would not get Glyph locked, but finger cramps outweighed the ability to caste some level one spells while you were stacking the big ones. I don’t know how much power they would have to add to the combo’s to make it worth unlocking a deck for me, but it is far greater than what they can add without unbalancing a lot of things.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Just to be sure, you know you don't have to use the "Start Glyph Combo" button, right?

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen, brother @Toadster .... Amen

20. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Hold one number press the other. I played hybrid mostly 1-4 unlocked allowing for 3 stacks of 6 each with a locked mindlock. This allowed for quick casting the main low focus spell and room to stack the larger dmg spells. It had no glyph locking and 0 dead draws. This also gave me the room to 6 stack and lock combo’s.

Now the spots it took were 5 slots with mindlock for 3 spells where a locked deck would give you two extra spells. Lowering your unlocked slots would start having glyphs lock where you have nothing to stack and all three glyphs out. You could add another unlock on the defensive side but by doing that you now end up drawing dead when your defensive slot is full and a new defensive card comes up on the draw. Lot of people wondered why they were drawing so slow unlocked and this was normally the reason. And then you also run into issues of not having the right spell when you need it.

Now if they started requiring stacking manually again I would get a mouse with enough buttons to macro it but trying to move with WASD and click 1-2 2-3, 3-4. Over and over again was doable but a real pain in the ass during long fights. Also if i played a fighter that didn’t have to worry about movement so much to survive it might not be as bad.

Vladamir Begemot and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.