Shroud of The Carpal Tunnel Pain

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Nymbil, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nymbil

Nymbil Avatar

I tried this game early on, and only played maybe an hour because having to hold the right mouse button in order to turn, becomes very painful. I left then, and just came back to the game after 4 years, and was so disappointed that despite my feedback then, and the feedback of many many other players, that nothing was ever done to change this. I still can't believe they ever thought it was a good idea to begin with. It is like they have stock in carpal tunnel braces and wanted to increase the demand.

What the heck is wrong with just a standard wsad setup, you know like every other mmo on the planet? Any chance there will ever be a change made? At least just give us the option to turn with a and d, side step with q and e, and have the camera recenter itself every few seconds. Anything would be better than the current system.

I would just like to be able to play long enough to give this game a real go, after spending $65 on it in 2015. I still don't even know if I like the game. Due to the messed up control system, I can't play long enough to find out.

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

What has stopped you from going into the option no and setting up the keyboard the way you’d like? It’s easy enough to set up the different move options to the ward setup you’d like. You can then turn using the keyboard.

3. Nymbil

Nymbil Avatar

I have changed it, but it is clunky. The camera movement causes eye strain from the clunky movement, frame skipping, and dragging, and because it isn't smooth at all. Plus I still have to hold down the right mouse button to move the camera with any type of precision, because the character movements with the keys are so clunky. I have found no way to just move the camera around with the mouse, without having to hold down a button, like I can in ESO for instance. Modern mmos allow you to set "free look" on your mouse, without the need to hold a button. If that option is there, I have yet to find it, and from the searching I have done online, lots of others can't find a way either.

This game was released in 2018, but looks and plays like a game from 10+ years ago. I mean LOTRO is 10 years old and has better movement and camera control.

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the "toggle cursor" mapping.

Time Lord, Elgarion and Jaesun like this.
  5. Nymbil

Nymbil Avatar

Thanks, that helps. It isn't nearly as clunky, still feels like a game from 10 years ago, but not as clunky as it was, and I don't have to kill my hand holding a mouse button down. I'll have to add a comment about it to all the other posts I found. Most people are looking for "mouse look" or "free look".

Time Lord likes this.
  6. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Hi and welcome back to the game. I agree the option should be there but I disagree most people are looking for it . Me and many friends I know usually turn that option off if it is on by default in many games. - apart from the few that are more into FPS combat style games. If mouse look is enforced I usually wont play the game at all. ESO is an exception because its best played from first person view so naturally mouse look complements it - I actually put a lot of hours into playing ESO and got high level char there. ESO is a decent game but my beef with it from start is they could had made a far better sandbox using the Elder Scrolls IP.

The game overall is a classic sandbox experience but unlike most sandboxes it actually has a storyline too which is a positive for me. Like most sandboxes you can expect a deep crafting experience too. It has also one of the most deep housing systems you can find in a mmo. Wont go into many details since part of the fun is in the discovery but welcome again, and feel free to ask any questions here, in game or on discord. I hope you like it.

Note: Remember to claim your items from the button upper right corner if any. There is an item(worth 1 usd) you talk in universe chat with and if I recall well you claim it either there or goes directly to inventory. If items will appear on the claim window when you open it, just drag them to your inventory

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I stay in cursor mode (aka mouse-look mode). I use the Tab key to toggle in and out of it

Time Lord and Echondas like this.
  9. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

This is tangentially relevant, but I can highly recommend playing with a trackball.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I love the right mouse click approach. Thank you for your opinions and welcome back. Maybe Port will ADD some additional controls that may ease you while NOT REMOVING what works for others.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Carpal Tunnel :confused: and adjustments~:(
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes: That's no joking matter and I do hope you find your way through it or coping with it. I myself have had the surgery on both my hands and at times, I adjust my game style to manage the hand stress involved with my love of the game.

To cope with my own Carpal Tunnel while playing SOTA, I will play normally, yet when I've stressed my hands too much, I rely on "auto-swing" / "auto-attack" which greatly reduces my left handed keyboard button demands. It does sound like your main problem resides in your right hand and for that I'd suggest doing some mouse shopping to increase your comfort and help extend your playtime. For my mouse, I have a "Naga Hex programmable mouse" which sits very high and hurts my hand and I also have a very low sitting mouse from "Logic Tech", which does not hurt my hand. I think all hands are different, but that's what I came to find when managing my own wrist/hand stress as I deal with my carpal tunnel and my love of video games. The reasons I keep my "Naga Hex programmable mouse" still in use, is that certain functions within all my gaming, including here in SOTA, are more easily managed by having the programmable functions of the Naga do all the work.

I use both these mouse (mice?) and between them both, I've managed to have reduced my wrist and hand stress to a manageable level so that I'm not further damaging my carpal tunnel, while I manage all my gaming addictions :p

o_O If I'm hunting in low level areas, I can manage solo without too much stress, but if I'm headed for more intense action, I manage my carpal tunnel much better as a sidekick in a group of players where I can back off when needed.

o_O Oh, and another thing... "I don't do quests" because :eek: it's all just a bunch of dialog keyboard button mashing when it comes to my carpal tunnel and me :confused:

Nymbil :p Funny name (not to pick on you but I just noticed), that's a name that certainly wouldn't fit me with my own carpal tunnel :D as I'm anything but Nymbil/nimble :p If this carpal tunnel problem of yours is a relatively new condition, then you may need some life changes to deal with it as I did. I once was in the top players of games, but now I'm the same as playing with hands full of thumbs :( but I still enjoy playing, which is more than I can say about many of my other friends who didn't make gaming life changes and just drove themselves until they just couldn't play anything any more :( So I do hope you find your own level of toleration to be able to continue your gaming :)

I do hope you've found this helpful @Nymbil
    and do hope to see you along the trail :)~Time Lord~

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  12. bugmaster77

bugmaster77 Avatar

I suffered from the exact symptoms of what I thought was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, for several years, as a result of once being an auto mechanic and YEARS of PC gaming with mouse and keyboard. The mouse hand was by FAR the worst. The problems extended all the way around my shoulder to the muscles underneath my shoulder-blade. I went through months of massage therapy, exercise, stretching, everything I could to avoid doctors and costly surgery. Surgery began to look inevitable.

One day my wife tells me she had been drinking DECAF coffee for the last week and felt a lot better, in a myriad of ways (no afternoon energy crash, much better sleep schedule, more restful sleep, etc.), so I decided to give it a try.

After ONE WEEK, of no caffeine, ALL my Carpal Tunnel symptoms subsided. ALL of them. I was astonished, as this was totally unexpected. I am totally serious--a complete disappearance of symptoms.

Before I quit, I couldn't use my keyboard/mouse for more than a few hours a day, or I'd pay the price the next day with pain shooting up my forearm. Now, I can sit here all damn day if I chose to do so. But, to be entirely honest, I feel SO much better after dumping caffeine from my diet--my shoulder/arm no longer bother me--I can once again do things the pain previously prevented me from doing--I have far less desire to sit at my computer.

As a result of this incident, I now think that MOST Carpal Tunnel symptoms that people experience are not from repeated stress, but rather repeated stress while under the effects of caffeine. Simply remove the caffeine, and all the symptoms go away, with no other behavior changes required.

So, for all of you that sit there at the computer all day, coffee cup at hand, or that Big Gulp full of Pepsi constantly sipped and suffer from what appears to be Carpal Tunnel, AT LEAST TRY TO REMOVE CAFFEINE from your diet before you take drastic measures, like surgery. It's simple as F*ck to do, actually saves you money and can completely change your standard of living.

Simply switching to decaf beverages might be all the change you need to see improvements in just a few days. It only took a week for me.

This isn't some attempt at self-righteous manipulation of the masses to suit some arbitrary desire of mine, but simply something I accidentally discovered and hope can save some of you some pain and trouble, not to mention money.

Cheers, and Good Health!

Cozy Firesong

PS: Starbucks sells Whole Bean, DECAF Espresso beans in 1lb bags! I was loath to give up my morning Latte!

Spoon, Jason_M and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.