Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Raymond's Hammer Quest: Please reinstate, or remove references for new players.

Discussion in 'Release 65 Feedback' started by Amariithynar, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

Asking Raymond (refugee in Soltown) about his job has him mention his hammer and he asks you to get it for him, though no actual quest begins for it. He will remark about his hammer in general after that point, as well. As a new player (despite my old account) I saw this dialogue as being a 'hidden quest' and spent the next hour and a half or so scouring Solace Bridge for the hammer before, frustrated, googling about it to find out that apparently the quest had been removed some time in the past, but the references that remain still lead one to believe that you can still find his hammer in Solace Bridge.

Bedawyn and Jaesun like this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Raymond no longer offers the quest/task to go get his hammer. However, players who already have that quest need to be able to turn it in, which is why he is still allowed to talk about his hammer.

You mentioned that "he asks you to get it for him." I don't see anything like that in his responses. Could you let me know which keyword gave you the response that stated or implied you should go get his hammer? I'll update the text if he's misinforming the player.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

There are at least a couple other NPCS in Soltown as well who tell you that Raymond is looking for his hammer. I'm afraid I don't remember which at the moment, but they're the standards that say "I don't have any quests for you, but this person and this other person do." I also spent several hours as a newbie this spring looking for that hammer.

Typing while @Sannio posted... in my fuzzy memory, it was the other NPCs that clearly implied there was a quest there, while Raymond's text was more vague. But as a new player, I ran into lots of NPCs with vague text only to find out from the forums later that they had a quest I needed a specific keyword for, that never showed up in the natural conversation. So to a brand-shiny new player, Raymond's text might be fine if it weren't for the other NPCs, but to a slightly-less-new player who's been trained that there are hidden keywords, Raymond just screams "I've got a quest, and you can't have it, nyah nyah!"

Amariithynar likes this.
  4. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

Or even just an old-school gamer that is new to the game, and remembers the scads of hidden quests in various games, the various Ultimas included. Raymond's text is basically framing it as "I can't do anything without my hammer. Bah, who cares about it anyways!" which just sounds like an old grumpy guy who desperately wants you to help him, heh. But yeah, a lot of the other refugee NPCs also mention that Raymond was looking for his hammer, so it definitely felt like there was a hammer there that could be gotten. I'd get the exact dialogue, but it changes from when you first go through his dialogue, as well.

5. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

There have always been a few chatty NPCs there that hint at what some might think would be a quest only to turn out to be nothing. If it is a quest 1. it will show up in your quest log. 2. You will get the quest icon on the compass/map. So unless you see those two things there then its just them being chatty or old quests that do not work anymore. I always thought that horse in Soltown would be something but it was nothing in the end.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.