How many MORE years is loot going to suck?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

An additional thought for this - what if the loot for said monsters or current monsters was adjusted to be like Heritage? That might help with what @Aetrion was mentioning above?

2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I don't think making things BOP is a good options on a player market system. I am not saying that some items could not be but rather that it maybe best served to randomize in zones spawn locations of the named so that its not always where you expect. Or even take it further having the possibility for them to spawn in completely different scenes that make sense. Example a high elf named Wizard could spawn in any Elf scene so that its just luck you happen on it offering a more fair advantage to all as well gives us what we really need a reason to explore zones. I also think we need way more quests, there should be quests relating to all scenes and meaning. Why is this old burn out house here in this zone or these ruins? beyond deco have a reason for it. Look at Vanguard and Pantheon they offer reasons to explore every building beyond just deco. EQ , EQ2 the same. Treasure chests in scenes should also be 100% random location never in the same spot to give the surprise side of exploring.

Like many we all visit only 1-3 scenes usually regularly to grind because there is no reason outside of these to go else where unless you are a crafter and needing supply.

Add in some faction vendors and faction levels like that of virtue. kill X and Kobolds will start to allow access to special vendors and quests... kill others and gain access to special mobs. they have the ability to change mob faction making better use of it to unlock things would make many things worth the time, especially if there are specific rewards offered.

Many ideas can be though of to help improve but need resources to add all that type of stuff. IMO long term I am sure we will get it all but that is one issue every game has is how to keep a player engaged... this is the first game I have played this long because I have not capped my levels, but at the end of the day I am doing the same things over and over because there are not enough options for adventure. Ep2 will fill some gaps but I think they really need a quest maker Dev who will just keep adding small things to do but that is just my opinion :)

Boris Mondragon and Echondas like this.
  3. Echondas

@Xee - had to ask Moon what BOP meant - he explained it's "Bind on Pickup" from WOW - and there was also BOW (bind on wear).

Those are all good ideas to avoid going that route and I think it could work! :)

Another thought, when you mentioned questing -- what if there were GOOD quest loot items, that incur durability loss - but the quest to get them was repeatable? IE: a really cool belt that does something useful but only has say 20 durability and can't be repaired with ancient essence or COTOs - so people were forced to kill that monster fairly regularly, to get this item again?

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

for sure, or even make it take fuel cost instead of durability to keep the effects working. example clockwork armor could require a quest item with X chargers, or a weapon of the flame keeper requires lava crystals which you can get by turning in X of this to the same quest person to have them recharge the items. many ways to offer the same and to keep upkeep reasons to do things. heck some of these items to turn in could require crafters and the likes to help make even. example the lava crystals may require you to fish in lava to get. Or the clockwork armor requires someone to take items to combine to make a fuel cell that the npc fills up etc. this way you dont make Best in slot armor artifacts completely and they require more then just top mw or enchanter. Give more things for people to make and sell that fill these fuel costs.

Echondas and Boris Mondragon like this.
  5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Yeah i dont expect to be covered by treasure when i start playing a game

Sean Silverfoot and amarious like this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

No one here IS.

What we are asking, is that they take a look at what they DO give out in loot and apply some form of THOUGHT to it, so that it feels rewarding to actually play this game.

There is (almost) no progression... you fight a tier 1 skeleton mage, and you get (either/or/both) a crappy wand/staff, some regs and a little gold. You fight a tier 8 skeleton mage, and get... wait... you get the same damn thing. There is nothing you get from fighting a tougher creature (other than the one in 5000 artifact drop, or another roll at the same type of crap loot table via a supply bundle) that lends to any kind of sense of accomplishment. The closest you get is the long bow drop from high tier archers, and the elf bow drop from highish+ tier elf archers, as one simply gives you something more than scrap, and the other can yield higher tier crafting materials.

The near-complete lack of reward starts with loot and snowballs from there.

Even the reward you get for finishing episode 1 (the original end-game one, that is) felt more like a slap in the face than a reward for completing (suffering through) the mixed-up, completely imbalanced and buggier-than-hell main story quest line. Yes, I know this isn't loot, but quest rewards are part of the same problem.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This is just my own observation as well as asking some specific questions to Chris the other day on discord, on why the current loot system, is basically terrible and unrewarding.

The developers go through the various loot bundles and change or alter them by adjusting the chance to drop field of the various loot bundles.

Every person who actually plays the game uses kill count (not percentage drop). Like currently Wyvern heads. In a patch they mentioned that these should drop more often. What does that actually mean to people actually playing the game? My best guess would be that you will probably find a Wyvern head from around 1 to 300 kills.

Chris can however look at the number of a creature killed and the number of a specific item has dropped. One thing they cannot actually see is how many of a specific creature was skinned vs how many have dropped a specific item. That current isn’t a metric they can observe or check.

I can only hope that Chris understands the difference between what a loot bundles percentage drop rate is set too and then how many of a specific creature a player will have to kill in order to find one.

I personally have been waiting for someone to add an actual kill counter for each specific creature and then the number of times you have killed that specific creature.

Once someone actually adds that to a mod, I’m going to collect a lot of numbers. And then I’m going to share that with you. :)

Gorthyn, Sulaene Moon and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Well, I am also tired of the Gray Supply Bundles all too often being better than Yellow, Blue and Orange Bundles. Consistently better.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This isn't my experience. I get artifacts from yellow bundles and I don't from grey bundles. I also get higher level potions from the yellow bundles.

Sean Silverfoot and Echondas like this.
  10. Echondas

I got about 400 of those gray bundles tucked away - you’re saying they’re good now? o_O

11. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

thats a major problem when people start collecting stuff like this that can change in the futur... id put an expiration date on those bundle, open before 7 day or its gone or you sure to get only an apple and an orange from it ;p
    That way its easier for the dev after to add new stuff or change stuff into bundle without being compromised the first day it come out

Vladamir Begemot and Elrond like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

A skeleton warrior is tougher to kill than a basic troll. Using a troll, a mid tier creature, to gauge the ammount of specifically jsut artifact drops (im assuming the "lack of loot" really means "lack of artifacts" when discussing whats currently in game), you have to keep in mind, trolls are nowhere near endgame difficulty.

there are a whole whole lot of people soloing palces liek the rise, killing dragons themselves, and AN artifact is not that rare with those things. Artifacts are very rare on lower tier creatures, like trolls.

If you simply increase the rate of artifact drops on mid tier creatures to the same as it is on high tier creatures, you will remove all reward associated with fighting the hard stuff.

If you increase the drop rate of all artifacts on everything so that they drop on mid tier creature like they current drop on top tier creatures, the current value of artifacts will drop by a factor of 5x

^id actually be fine with the value of artifacts tanking because of this, if they could be salvaged for even rarer chance of components that are used to make even better verions of crafted items.

13. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

I brought up in stream as well and @List said he would tell the proper person to look into it..probably never happened. Fixing salvage or bringing it back to where it was pre r69 seems like it would be a quick fix.

I wish we could form a player consensus on issues or even 1 issue to press during stream rather then have the standard dozen or so wishlist requests and questions out of left field that can’t be addressed right away anyways. Maybe we could actually get the devs to focus on something and get it straightened out.

14. Numa

Numa Avatar

I was thinking that the mob bosses in SOTA should be able to "loot" one or more items from the avatars it vanquishes. This is NOT a permanent loss on the part of the players the boss defeats. The player loses access to the item for just 24 hours or so.

The mob then adds the "looted" item to it's horde so popular mobs will have a lot of good stuff for successful solo or raid players.

Perfect behavior for dragon bosses btw :)

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Arkah EMPstrike
    How long has it been since you've killed dragons solo and what arty's have you gotten from them and how many you killed without getting anything better than a haunch ?

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Numa
    How on earth is this "NOT a permanent loss" for the dead avatar, if the item lost is added to mob loot ?
    Ya' lost me there, bro........

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The OP said nothing about bundles, but rather loot on anything.
    Having said that, supply bundles suk as bad as common loot on mobs.

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm hoping with this shift to Heritage Items, that also includes a nod to gaining items for playing the game too. :)

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup, agree totally...

Amen, brother....amen

Yup, and it never will until Chris understands what players at all levels - (both buyers and sellers) - require for a functional economy.

What would, finally make the game much, much more fun for almost all of us would be the same universal vendor search that UO finally implemented after the Luna bot monopoly damn near cost them the game.

Let us do a search for any given item on every single vendor ingame. It's not an impossible technical task, UO did this years ago.

Do ANY of us have the time to run to each and every town and 200+ POTs in the game when looking for a decent price on any specific item ?

And if you can't find it today after running around all those 200+ POTS looking for vendors that may or may not even exist, will you do it all again tomorrow ?
    Of course not.... (hell, I don't even think it's possible within a 24hr period).

TOTALLY UNREALISTIC and yet that's what we have ...

Without SERIOUS COMPETITION we will NEVER have a truly functional and FAIR economy.

When EVERYONE can REALISTICALLY participate - THEN AND ONLY THEN will we have an economy that works for EVERYBODY.

** Ok, you owners of - what you think are prime spots for traffic - tell me what a horrible idea this is - but first explain it to those 150+ POT owners with residents who have vendors in their POT that is *not* next to Brit
    Disclaimer: Both of my rl fav teams lost tonight, so I'm not in a great mood... thus the cut-to-the-chase basic facts about stuff that I think is killing this game.

Yup, very true...

20. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

And please remove all the junk from loot table i´m sick and tired to clean up bottles, jars, useless 5 minutes buff food and tons of ugly deco stuff, the need to clean up those from my inventory daily is annoying, let carpenters craft deco stuff.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.