1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

The same as Lord British, I want to go to the stars.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Time Lord, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Operation Paybacker~

There's no doubting that our game could always use a revenue boost, so here's the idea...

We once sent @Lord British into space with our gaming dollars, so asking for payback isn't out of the question, because I think he actually made that trip a profit making endeavor, setting up one of the first business models for actual space tourism...

We need to do the same within our game, through selling an exclusive planetary tourist travel to each or any single planet (each sold separately).

Our original backers and those that have already paid to have access to all SOTA's future content could get there for free, yet they would have to craft or get crafted a special steampunk looking space suit in order to be able to gain access to the planet (due to it's unbreathable atmosphere).

Those who purchase the ticket with real dollars, may receive, "just as we received in our seed investment funding drive" (in the form of a golden suit of armor), a similar perk, such as an official Lord British space suit which could resemble that of Lord British's actual suit with possibly a few modifications such as a Lord British coat of arms somewhere on the suit.

The travel itself could be made through some sort of space ship, yet could even be made without the any space ship, through the use of some sort of "Red Moongate/Lunar Rift", as was once described by Sherry the Mouse in a book in UO. It could be anything, just as long as it gets we players to the planet surface.

Content of the other worldly planet/moon could be made as simple as being in the spirit of "The Savage Empire", or as deep as "Tabula Rasa", yet I think it should be in the spirit of The Savage Empire, due to it's experimental and raw nature which would seem to me much less expensive to make content for. Such an endeavor would strongly suggest to the public advertising, that the spirit of "Tabula Rasa" in even deeper planetary travel content is better planned and undoubtable forthcoming in SOTA's future.

So this would be sort of an advertising stunt, fund raising stunt and unique forthcoming content stunt all in one, which could be able to be launched, "as soon as it's funding level was reached", through selling the planetary travel package mentioned, with the suits being distributed as each ticket was sold, in order to raise awareness of the funding project. Until such travel was ready, these suits would be the same in hunting/armor value as founder's armor "and a source of light", yet can never be reproduced through crafting. The crafted suits would look far different, in Medieval/Steampunk design, yet require the most in-depth crafting materials as well as craftsmanship, yet only craft'able once the planet's content was made public.

This is a general description of the idea and not meant to be specific. It's only intent is to show a roadmap, which would reflect the same roadmap that Lord British used/uses himself to forward his real life space tourism business model.

He wanted to go to space, so he did, so let us go into our own space, in the same spirit in-which he accomplished that.

I have my money ready in that same spirit as was invested in our "seedinvest". I still have my "2" golden sets of armor and my golden row home, and I wouldn't hesitate spending that same amount or even much much more to have that special space suit hanging on a mannequin waiting for lift off.

Just a savage thought in world funding o_O...

Lets privatize our own space exploration $1000, $2000 a ticket?
    all comments welcomed :D
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Duke Aventine and Elrond like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I want to go to space o_O...
    Ultima 2 did this, so why shouldn't we, and soon?

For more info...
    https://www.filfre.net/2018/02/the-worlds-of-ultima/ Karma is difficult to escape.
    We only need to clone a new Warren Spector because a mouse kidnaped our other one :(

The U2's space cannon does look umm... o_O~TL~

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Duke Aventine likes this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'd support a Moon or Martian themed SOTA expansion -if- there was a clear tie in to the game lore otherwise. Do we see that now (aka Tabula Rasa)?

Otherwise, I'd avoid it. Its too easy for a games to try to 'change the venue' to create new interest, when really the focus probably ought to go into strengthening core features.

Hats off to the development team here for continuing to focus on strengthening core features!

4. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

$1000-2000?

Nope.

Make it in game gold, stop pay gating everything.

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

$1ooo to $2000.... are you kidding ? I can go to the moon and back for $10.

6. Net

Net Avatar

I have been to the Moon for free back in Release 19:) You do not need any space ship if you time it right.

I definitely recommend the visit to every one;)

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Point well taken @Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin ,

The intent of this proposed sota space program would be to pay for it's initial development construction, while also providing a residual Cat-Nip profit for (planet) New Britannia's further content development, as well as further sota planetary space travel. In SOTA development terms, the program's construction demands are no more than creating separate instances for each of it's orbiting bodies and possibly even those major planetary body's orbiting moons.

The only unique demands, is either to obscure the skies of those instances through cloud cover, or reveal their unique sky's views of our current orrery, which would show many planets in retrograde motions.

Such interplanetary travel and their unique skies would open many new COTO Store sales opportunities such as different orrery for each planet (instance). Yet further into such a project through design, there are even deeper COTO Store motives, such as within the following example, where the motives for owning and operating large agriculture farms would drive COTO Store Land Lot sales, which is one of our player's highest priced purchases, providing real world significant profits to further our game development.

The "special" space suits that come with the initial "sota space program pledge rewards", sold for $1000-2000 or even $3000.00 USD are unique and exclusive, yet a different design of sota space suit will be able to be crafted ingame in the same manner as any common suit of armor currently is, yet using extremely rare ingredients for it's construction. The reasons that each ingredient within the process of getting to space has a need to be extremely rare, is that our sota space travel should be far more complex a task than walking across our overland map to visit any particular normal hunting instance (area). Our space travel should take planning, with many things needing to be specially prepared to achieve it's goal. The more complex the player's space launch is, the more special loot any space traveler should expect to receive, in ingame profits to help pay for their next space journey as well as lining their pockets with valuables in all their current forms (gold and rare crafting elements).

Please read on for further deeper examples of what is production wise, inexpensive to program and possible through adequate player funding through selling exclusive space suit content which is not able to be replicated through crafting. Other more Steam-Punk styled suits would be able to be crafted, yet what each sota space program backer is getting for their early backing, is a "SOTA Space Program Founder Space Suit", (which is in the same spirit with the same properties as our past's exclusive Founder's Armor).

Example or Normal SOTA ingame Crafted Steam-Punk Style Space Suit... which cannot be ever repaired to it's full original value, "yet also cannot be repaired through use of COTO". Going into space is expensive and a gamble to one's life if your space suit ever should break, "and one day it will o_O!"

[​IMG]
    Example of @Lord British "SOTA Space Program Founder's Space Suit"...
    [​IMG]
    Stick one of our current "keg's" (for containing outer-world breathing supply) on it's back and add a Lord British Crest on it somewhere as if a "Mission Patch", and you get the general idea. It would be 100% repairable always, because it's wearer is a founder of our space program (aka non-tradable). Such a SOTA Space Program Founder's pledge, could even be market designed for 3 different funding levels, ie/ $1,000.00, $2,000.00 and $3,000.00 level pledges.

Example:

• $1,000.00 pledge level, you get the Suit.
      • $2,000.00 pledge level, you get the Suit, and a set of exclusive SOTA Space Mission grow anywhere "Carnality Mushroom" planters (read on for further details).
      • $3,000.00 pledge level, you get the Suit, a set of exclusive SOTA Space Mission grow anywhere "Carnality Mushroom" planters, and an exclusive SOTA Space Mission Observatory Home and Village Lot (taxable yet able to be upgraded).

o_O Time Lord's Story Times... A SOTA Example in Space Travels...

~Subterranean Discoveries in Time ~ The Lore within the Journey~
    It was only just five to 500 years a week ago deep inside The Time Tunnel, when "Explorer Willy Simright", an evolutionary scientist, had discovered new properties in a subterranean plant he was studying, as the oxygen emitting
    Spores that came from them caused him to very slowly become light headed and aroused to the point of anger, which his friend working near by him digging up pieces of an old strange relic, "Doctor Worn Spectacles" came to see what so vexed his friend. Pulling Willy Simright away from the mushroom's, Doctor Worn Spectacles exclaimed, "Willy, what's the matter with you?". Just a day before, Willy Simright had been transplanting his newly discovered mushrooms from under an old outhouse into a large planter, when he found something else within the dirt and grime which lay hidden just below one of the mushrooms. It was an egg which had strange nostrils on it's exterior which were slightly runny at the time while it was pulsating green light as if it were a very large firefly inside. He decided to place it in his pocket that day and not given it much attention since.

So there the two of them were both wrestling around all the while spreading mushroom spores everywhere, Willy obviously very upset and Worn wrestling with his friend trying to calm him down, when the egg with a runny nose slowly rolled out of Willy's pocket right between the two of them and "BOOM!", it suddenly exploded throwing the two of them back far away from each other leaving them with ringing ears, burnt clothing and darkened astonished faces. "Well that explains allot" exclaimed Worn, to which Willy asked, "by what do you mean?" So Worn told Willy of all the old pieces of junk he had been digging up to which he had before had no explanation to what it all may be. "We must take all we have found to the island of Elysium and Port Phoenix where our colleague "Inventor El'Must Airex" is studying advanced metallurgy and lighter than air craft design as he could have use for all we've both found".

El'Must Airex met them at the docks of Port Phoenix excited because he too had made a discovery which created a lighter than air gas. The three went to the special telescope observatory home of El'Must Airex where they all shared their new discoveries, Doctor Worn Spectacles with his archeological discovery of all the old parts he had dug up and Explorer Willy Simright with his mushroom spores and both told El'Must Airex about the strange glowing green pulsating egg with nostrils which sneezed and exploded when coming into direct contact with the mushroom spores. El'Must turned away from the two touching his chin as he often did while inventing and said, "I too have something to show the both of you which I've been keeping very secret". El'Must opened a hidden room within the observatory where, there, lining the walls were many glass containers full of the eggs, some pulsating, while many others showed no life at all. "They come from space" El'Must explained. "I've traced their origins directly back to a specific location on the planet Carnality and fall just off the coast here in the Sea of Storms". El'Must went on to say, "When I at first discovered them through seeing them glowing in the sea, I began using them to create the green chandeliers you see lighting this room, because they die in their egg form after two weeks. The chandeliers make the room smell nice due to the small amounts of oxygen they emit. It is from the dead eggs comes a gas which I use in my more advanced lighter than air ships. This is the first time I've encountered any stories of them having a runny nose or exploding". "Doctor Worn, leave those pieces of metal you found, as I suspect they come from another time, as has been known to happen within The Time Tunnel". El'Musk went on to say, I'll contact @Lord British and he will get a hold of "Dollars Smell" who I'm certain can help get our project's new investment funding arrangements well organized and contact @DarkStarr for our needed creative staging artwork design o_O...

Story Cast Nor Appearing:
    • Willy Simright is not appearing as Will Wright of Spore and The Sims.
    • Worn Spectacles is not appearing as Warren Spector of Ultima and Epic Mickey.
    • El'Musk Airex, later to become better known as El'Musk SpaceX is not Elon Musk of Tesla and Space-X.
    • Dollars Smell is not appearing as Dallas Snell of future Video Game Hall of Fame and Video Game of the Year Award winning, "Shroud of the Avatar" :D

Five to Five hundred pass...

~Skipping Tales Across the Stars~

It was morning and all had been well prepared and planned. Carnality would soon be crossing the trajectory of the Space Cannon which had been constructed by the late great inventor El'Must SpaceX as he had come to be known in history. With the discoveries of Doctor Worn Spectacles and the great Explorer Willy Simright of the Carnalitian Egg's relationship with the Carnality Spores, this morning's journey would have never been possible. Those late great men are now all but myths as the vast passage of time from ours to theirs grows ever more distant in memories. We still don't know who or what had first made the cannon, who or what had destroyed it, or who or what had saw fit to hide it burying it deep within The Time Tunnel, which is now New Britannia's main supplier of fresh Carnality Spores. It's a shame the planters they are in can never be used for any other crop, but to be able to travel into space was well worth such a cost. I do hope the spores stay fresh for this morning's journey as they can only remain live spore for 2 (real world) weeks. Oh how so many are needed to be grown for so little harvested seems a heavy agricultural toil. It still amazes me the network of Space Cannons that make connections with all the other planets from Carnality when they align coming into conjunctions. There's no conjunction today, we are on a mission to gather Carnalitian Eggs for travel and harvest Carnalitian Jelly for oxygen enough so when Carnality comes into conjunction with Despite a more heavy hunting party will be sent there. That great journey will take much more Eggs and Spore to make such a crossing, from New Britannia, to Carnality, to Despite, then back to Carnality and home again to New Britannia once more. The Space Cannon network all having automatic response, they, along with the spore and the eggs now make all planetary travels possible, "yet the timing necessary is in everything!" A single earth hour being all there is possible at destination before the automatic systems of the cannons return the "Space Ball" back along the same pathway way of cannons it came from. To miss it is certain death with a total loss in everything that character had looted. With backpack space being so limited due to carrying the needed space suit supplies of Carnalitian Jelly or twice as much Carnality Spore to compensate for any lack of Jelly, along with cannon supplies of Carnalitian Eggs and Carnality Spore for the necessary propulsion, there's always so little space left to bring back the most valuable loot to be found anywhere. It's amazing how that small amount of loot repays such a great price and effort paid by so many, "but it does!" I myself have never been to the other planets, as the very valuable Carnalitian Jelly is most needed for those of greater adventure ability than I could bare. If I did, I know my only worth would be to scurry about gathering what resources I could while trying not to be killed. The very brave and talented are best for such missions, while I am best skilled for Carnality. I've been there 3 times this week just to gather enough for the upcoming conjunction's mission, and I know those great adventurers will well reward me for it... "if they live" ... and what of the other secret combinations El'Musk's diary spoke of? A single miscalculation and they ever come back at all o_O...

Later that day...

As we approached the launch site, we loaded the 8 eggs and 8 kegs of spore required for the four of us to make the journey. On the side of the Space Ball I was glad to see it held Sir Elrond's craftsman mark on it which assured it's quality enough to make the the trip there and back again before becoming a heaping mass of recycle material upon it's home re-entry into the Sea of Storms. El'Musk's invention of the re-entry balloon was all that stood between burning up into a molten mass as a shooting star or sunken into the Sea of Storm's deep abyss never to be seen again. Such a wonderful things space balls are made of. Almost every seemingly before, un-useful and cheapest quality mined metals all combined into a gigantic well forged sphere where a multitude of adventurers could fit inside and be lifted into space, yet only if the cannon had been loaded with enough eggs and spore to make such a lift-off possible. It was El'Musk's leather re-entry balloon which caused my less worry about it. Made from massive amounts of leather for a single use, it gave everyone a better outlook in every launching that was ever made. All that, just to be rendered totally useless after 4 launches, space is such a deep expenditure in search of the valuables each planet had to offer, which was always the very small, very few and compact most rare valuable loot to be ever had, yet even much of even it was non-durable consumable raw resources and such, brought back to make things meant to be used elsewhere. About 30% of everything from space was to get back into space, while 60% seemed all to be crafting materials, %5 in adventurer's spendable spoils, leaving the remaining 5% being the most powerful weapons and tools from those who had first created the cannons... but oh', what wonderous things they all were! It was as if Gods had left them behind :eek: "left in the hands of the most powerful creatures who ate them and those Gods along within their flavorings!" :confused: An hour upon planetary arrival certainly doesn't seem enough to subdue such forces no matter how powerful the hero, but working together, they do o_O...

As we all mount-up into the space ball, the launch siren begins to sound...

Once the number of passengers equaling the eggs according to distance necessary has mounted, an automatic 10 second timer is activated... 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1...
    The kegs burst open inside the cannon's chamber releasing the live spore inside them causing the eggs to sneeze and "BOOM" we're off to the planet Carnality!
    (Hawaiian style elevator music begins to play while the planet instance is loading)

Instance Loading... 10%... 20%...30%... 50%... loading sota space tourist visa information... 70%... 80%... immigration time stamping all sota space passports... 90%... 97%... checking for fruits and vegetables... 98%... 100%...

~The Winged Carnalians~

Then with a whoosh, the space ball comes to rest inside the chamber of Carnality's space cannon as it's door opens. We all check our watches, "One hour, we all know what to do, lets go!"
    We head off into the direction of the Great Carnality Hives, two huge mounds of dirt with which what appear to be fireflies the size of a gust ball with humanoid faces. We begin throwing flowers everywhere (using the sow seed skill) to help sooth the Carnalian's argo they had for us, and there they were, the hives, with a very large open area between them which was always littered with Carnalian corpses. Each hive has either all males or all females coming from them fighting against one another to the death, the males fighting the females with their stingers and the females spitting acid back at the males.

Coming upon this scene of pure carnage our team springs into action...
    The winged Carnalians pay no attention at all to our team as they are indifferent to or presence there. The 2 healers with us begins to cast healing spells of all types both animal and human healing spells, which causes the steady flow of Carnalians both male and female to build into an even larger swarm each fighting the other, until from each hive comes a single huge Carnalian, one of the male hive and the other of the female hive, each heading directly towards the other. The male has a huge blue pulsating abdomen, while the large female has Carnality Eggs pulsating in a wave of green. As they approach each other the adventurers of our group spring into their battle stances attacking both the male and female before they can touch each other, for if they do successfully touch, even more of the small winged Carnalitians will be born and immediately turn their anger toward our group attacking in swarm. Our team successfully puts down the male first and then quickly the female while looting the harvest of Carnalian Jelly from the male and the Carnalian Eggs from the female, yet as soon as the female is killed, the entire swarms of both male and female Carnalians begin attacking our team with the males shooting their stingers at us and the females spitting acid, "both quickly eroding the integrity of our team's space suits" as we all run our way back to the awaiting space cannon. We still have a half hour before the automatic launch back to New Britannia, so we ready ourselves for another go at it. This time armed with fruits and vegetables along with the rest of our flowers, we out through the cannon's doorway while spreading the fruits, flowers and vegetables everywhere which calms their remaining argo and turns the attentions of the Carnalians back onto each other. We then begin to repeat the process all over once more yet because we weren't fast enough in our first harvest attempts,

the space cannon's alarm sounds and we all rush back entering the cannon just in time for blast off. The loaded kegs of spore are re-released into the chamber, the remaining Eggs sneeze and "BOOM!" back into space headed strait back to New Britannia.
    (Sea of Storms instance loading...)

Upon re-entry the balloon deploys and splashdown, returning to New Britannia with our successful harvest of 24 kegs of Carnalian Jelly and 32 live Carnalian Eggs. Each of these may only be able to be used within their life span of two weeks, yet the conjunction of Carnality with Despite is only a few days and a few hours away. Our backpacks almost full, exiting the space ball, we happily swim our short way to shore. Yet there was something missing we hadn't noticed before then. It seems that one of our team members was missing.

~Meanwhile back within The Time Tunnel~

Elrond emerges exiting an outhouse doorway, the same old outhouse where Willy Simright had first discovered the Carnality Mushroom and the first Carnalian Egg. No one has yet to figure out why, but there still seems to be some kind of hidden portal from Carnality that exists there.

[​IMG]

Back on shoreline of Port Phoenix, our team is very happy to see Elrond awaiting there who shouted, "I was very close to collecting that rare mineral I'd been looking for when the first wave of angry Carnalians began attacking which caught me by surprise! I'll ready another space ball for tomorrow if you all still feel up to going again!" :)~The End~

~This Example's Truer Points in Aftermath~
    It's just an example, yet with elements that seem missing within our current New Britannia sota experience, a few hint of levity in comic relief which we saturated into all Ultima's past. Within this example the planet Carnality takes on a key role within our space exploration as a sort of supply depot where all the needed outer world space travel materials can be found for further planetary explorations. The Moon in real life is just such a place with it's hydrogen 3 deposits and lesser gravity making any blast offs taking far less energy to achieve.

The main example here, should be the use of a network of space cannons, and much like the Oracle, it's original manufacture origins well hidden away in time. I also tried to emphasize how important our space program could be to not only our actual game's profitability, selling ability and production ability and cheap develop ability when thinking of such an expansion, which only truly involves the cost of our programmers to create a few more hunting instances... of which they all should be well use to doing and experienced in the doing. The Lore should take care of itself as it always has been doing, in becoming an ever growing and expanding web which has thus far successfully been able to expand and cover every newly created instance we've thus far seen.

Another point I'd like to make in favor of the space cannon network is, "if you want to truly hide something extremely special, then hide it behind a grand puzzle, of which the systems and player material requirements of the space cannons and their timers set to leave the planets within a certain time limit seem to fit such a difficult to pass puzzle description quite well.

Our astronomy/astrology also gets a boost from such a space program, in having to first blast off any time Carnality passes over the space cannon, and if there is or are other planets in conjunction with Carnality, then the space ball will not truly stop at Carnality, automatically blasting back off from Carnality instantly to blow the space ball to that Carnality conjunct planet to land to rest there and wait there an hour before blasting the space ball back down the chain of cannons making it's way back to New Britannia. It makes good usefulness in our Moon Dials in this way, in planning ahead early for trips.

This sort of space cannon network also would work for our offline sota mode as well and even encourage those players to become more (SOTA COTO Shop $$$) invested in acquiring more real-estate.

Many of the elements from Ultimas pasts, such as Martian Dreams are already here within New Britannia in the form of Tesla style technologies, Tesla only having made an appearance in Martian Dreams. Tesla power in New Britannia is all fueled through wind power, which is available through current supported content.

Possibilities:

• Human breathable atmosphere may or may not exist on other sota planets
    • We currently can grow more crops than we have use for.
    • If there were a crop which provided a harvest which could be then "brewed" into breathable "Mushroom Dust" which is highly toxic, yet providing a shart but long enought time to accomplish things on the planet "Carnality" (aka conditioning Cranality's air enough to be breathable for a short time), this would fill this need to refill space suits, yet take massive amounts of that crop to make only extremely small amounts which take a long time to ferment/brew, yet after aging, has an limited life span. Mushroom Dust is not harvested, it can only be "dusted", which means the Mushroom must remain in the ground after harvesting and provides no seed, yet is transplantable through seeding it's spores.
    • Carnalian Jelly is much more suited for space suit oxygen, as it lasts longer when stored than fermented dust and requires less to accomplish space travels.
    • Space Cannons are not necessarily the only way such travel could be imagined. Instead of the idea in space cannons, transport could also be made through magical means, such as a traveling ball of lightning or even an outhouse that magically appeared when astrological timing was optimal for it's appearance (planets aligned or other conjunction aka "whatever, whenever and whatever"). Find the ball lightning on the overland map while it moves across the map, put your space suit on, touch the lightning ball or the magical outhouse and you magically travel to the planet. This is to say, imagine what you will, we need a way to get to space.

Carnality:
    Feeling morbid sexual desire or a propensity to lewdness.
    It can become addictive you know o_O...
    [​IMG] [/spoiler]

Our modern SOTA is missing the comic relief in the spirit of what old ultima always had.
    When Ultima was much more successful, we were relying on far less seriousness than as in now... just sayin'
    That's just something to seriously think about... (The Three Stooges were featured in The Savage Empire).

Any comments or ideas welcome,
    ~Time Lord~

Elay likes this.
  8. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Still nope.

If raising funds for development is your end goal do that on a fund raising platform, not within the game itself.

If you want the game to be more accessible to as many people as possible you don’t throw up pay gates to new areas.

Also OTT price tags for exclusive rares. Leave that for the cash shop.

If you want new areas like this it needs to be open and fun for all, with no entry blockers like money. If money is involved it is effectively a DLC and should be priced as such.

This constant obsession to add triple zeros to the end of every dollar is only going to narrow the number of players willing to be involved. That sort of thinking is only helping the few that want to ‘get rich’ with hoarding rares few others can’t afford and ultimately wastes devs time. More so if it’s a timed exclusive and obscenely expensive entry.

I just don’t understand how your idea will really help the developers raise money, it will certainly turn more players away. It needs to be a tenth of your costs to attract the most not the few.

Superbitsandbob likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm certainly not going to try and convince you that paying real money for a different space suit than can be crafted in the game is some sort of paygate. I agree to disagree.

Our sota's development and the entire mmo industry within our genre is shrinking and especially in the area of successful crowd funded games. Many have become seen as scams producing nothing other than prospectus of ideas then to sell to other companies who can develop due to the sizes of their corporate's budgets such as EA Games. SOTA has been able to remain within those few crowd funded games, yet struggling for further development funding dollars. We barely have enough to remain alive with our development slowed to a snail's pace. We are about to get mounts, which comes very close to releasing the last thing which had development promises linked to it left over from Portalarium. Mounts could be the last big thing we ever see developed for our game within our life time, "other than new adventure hunting instances", which that's all this is, with only a bit more role play drama in the form of the
    a space cannon instead of a sign post identifying it's entrance on the overland map.

The only other difference other than the space cannon from a signpost instance entry;

• That the space cannon instance entry's destination changes on the same timing patterns as the planets cross each other in our sky.
    • The space cannon entrance does require any adventurer wishing to enter, deposit the amount of "player crafted and gathered materials" to grant their entrance into the instance. Such deposited materials are then "consumed" through entering. If the destination changes due to planetary alignments, then the entry's material demands for entry are increased due to being aligned with a more special destination other than the daily available entry to (in this example) Carnality.

There's a very limited amount of things to buy within our COTO Shop. It's most of "Walmart" cost effective items, other than it's larger land deeds and items that require large lots of land in order to place them. Within the provided example, all is focused on increasing the value of land deeds needed for farming and also increases crafted material demands of all types, all in massive amounts so as to provide our game with a very favorable dumping ground for currently stockpiled items which are currently in over abundant supply. Such "entry material demands of the space cannon" are it's "only fee for entry". Through consuming so much of materials to enter, the space cannon entry becomes an indirect ingame gold sump, because if these over abundant materials are in stockpile, then they are most likely sold to NPCs, which only increases the amounts of ingame gold within our economy causing inflation. Yet... with such stockpiles of materials needed in massive amounts for space travels, this increases the actual value of our ingame gold.

Other points of interest in our corporate mmo real world:

• If our game ceases to have a real world profit to continue it's development, then our game dies, or is dead on it's vine.
    • Chris and our development team do not work or develop things for free and their financial successes in the form of increased prosperity or decrease in review will effect our game's development.
    • Chris once said he could keep our gaming server alive for as little as $50 of income a month, yet he did not mention within that sentence that he could keep our development growing, and I assume that if that could be accomplished, it would be at a snail's pace, because it would become a hobby more than a 7 day a week 8 hour a day job paying his household bills. He has indicated that when some development demands are needed, he will and does use subcontracted or outsourced programing labor. All of that indicates that our game is not going to be developed at the same pace as it initially once was. This means that all we do purchase from our COTO Shop will be able to be played with forever, yet not increased in it's play value due to development slow down.
    • SOTA is not gaining players at a sufficient level for expansion or grand development. Portalarium did not wish to retain it as it steadily declines.
    • Something special is needed to set our game apart from the rest within our genre of crowd funded games. Crowd Funded games in general need to see SOTA as the pinnacle of example in a well developing game they can believe in, which will never go away and have constant improvement to.
    • "Elyria was revealed as a (possible or probable) scam", which increased available crowd funding players, yet weakened confidence within crowd funded games.
    • SOTA still standing and not a scam is in decline, yet with no further features which could draw more attention to it.
    The Funding Scam of Elyria?
    The game that harmed confidence in all crowd funded games...

Opportunities have presented themselves, yet with SOTA in decline with no new unique features to allure or brag about.
    A simple space cannon graphic replacing a signpost to enter a new area seems a cheap way to point out one of SOTA's best features, "the planetary orrery in our skies".

A houseplant is either in decline readying itself for the waist basket, growing or expanding needing new grounds, or in the prosses of becoming a bonzi tree never to be expand in many lifetimes.

Just as any space explorer, this game player is looking for life within our game's future and ways to expand it.
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Aldo likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Within the example above, where planetary alignments could trigger our gaming access to other planets, from the one planet which is daily accessible, to another planet crosses that planet, then that planet becoming accessible, we can see where each planet could hold a single instance. Yet this is not all that can be/or could be, had within such an automatic space cannon system making connections. If 3 planets align, or four or even more, such multi conjunctions could even open new instances accessible to the player. The more rare the single conjunction or great alignment of multiple planets, the more aspirations in expectations work to compounded such wonders within the player's game play. It's this type of deep involvement which encourages players to come play the game and stay in the game to see if they too could achieve such a once in a life time styled trip to a place few players/ or only those who long play the game or really get into working toward getting there, will ever get there to see.

For me, this is about deepening our over all gaming immersion through deeper preparations being necessary to get to where we're wanting to go. Even the lifetime limits given in some required things needed to travel take on and serve to deepen this deepest quality of immersion. "Space requires checklists that are re-checked to insure that everything is prepared at the time needed to blast off". That's the immersive quality our space travel should strive take on. Lord British knows that same immersion as well from his real life space adventure, and it's that most deeply felt immersive quality which could distinguish or game from all others as being well worth the personal game time investment, as well as their personal real life pocket books opening for our game's more robust possible funding future.

We are lucky to have such a space celebrity connected with our game, and it would seem to me a funding fail blasphemy if his game didn't have space travel in it. Reigniting Gaming World News Buzz is free advertising in itself. We have an astronaut and we're stuck on a single planet with no space travel... "That just seems gaming world morally wrong!" o_O...

If you had tamed a creature from another world, as a result of the example of space travel described above, and that creature needed to eat food from the planet it came from, then such space travel becomes emotional bonding, thus providing deeper immersion.

Engaging the player's mind through forcing the player to plan in great detail and prepare for through their home world labors, that draws the player in through deepening their thought prosses, which results in their deeper immersion through taking their mind away from their real world worries.

:eek: Aspirational Play o_O!' Possibilities and Wonder!

Something to day dream about!
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Just keep your eyes fixed on Richard's serpent neckless and it will hypnotize you into believing that SOTA can take us into space :D~TL~

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.