Holding right mouse button for camera view: Game breaker for many

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FanofIolo, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

All they have to do is make it so 2 finger swipe controls the camera, at least in the Mac version.

It might be that Windows 8.1 doesn't support the gestures, because Apple doesn't release an enhanced driver, I don't know.

So maybe Trackpad support, or at least Apple Trackpad support on Windows, isn't possible.

Still I have to think there's some PC Trackpad, Logitech Trackpad users for PCs out there.

Atlaua (MGT470) likes this.
  2. Hempy Do`Herben

Hempy Do`Herben Avatar

3. smack

smack Avatar

I'd be surprised if they did not allow keyboard and mouse rebinding / customization to address this. I'm personally not bothered by it but very good points from those that are.

Mercyful Fate and Kuno Brauer like this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Before any one asks, that doesn't mean you can't "right click"

5. vjek

vjek Avatar

Nope. Been using a mouse since mice have been available. That's part of the problem. :)

RSI is a constantly looming concern, the longer you use devices like keyboards, mice, and most other human-machine interfaces.
    For me, it's about reducing the use of the mouse as much as possible. I have tried, over the years, dozens of styles. I've learned Dvorak, on a real Dvorak keyboard. I've used three different kinds of trackball mice, and have spent far too much money in the quest for the perfect keyboard (for me). After, 10, 20 or more years with these devices, it can add up to some serious injury, if you don't have the right environment, equipment, and habits.

As has been discussed at length, now, as long as there are options to bind all input functions to either keys, or the mouse/buttons (or not), then all users will be able to customize their interface and be ~happy. The controls, as is, are so heinously bad for RSI that I tested less because of their configuration. I know my limits, and being in constant pain for days after a few hours of play? Been there, done that.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

ZOMG! A game breaker! Now why did I never think of saying that?

Everyone, you arguments are invalid.

Isaiah [MGT] and Lao Yang like this.
  7. JackW

JackW Avatar

As is you spelling. j/k

Just a bump since this Mac developer thinks this is a new issue.

8. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Yeah, I have to agree. The camera should follow your movement not force you to follow your own movement. The only time you should need to right click and move the camera is to see what your character looks like from the front.
    I've never played a game that makes you constantly adjust the camera. (SWTOR, LOTR. EQ2, EQNL, Horizons and a few others). I would beg you to update this feature it is a serious nuisance.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Editing on a tablet is a pain.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I agree (and have said so in numerous posts in the past, but just can't stay away). I really want an option for Bethesda style control. WASD, mouse moves the camera w/o pressing a button, and a button to interact ('E' for instance).

I know you have the option to change the camera controls, but that completely disables the ability to interact. Not a good solution. I want a better option, please!

JackW, Mercyful Fate and tekkamansoul like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

You don't have to hold the right mouse button to move the camera...

[​IMG]

12. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I will try to champion this internally for everyone, myself included. I have become comfortable with the current implementation over the last many months, despite it not being my preference.

If I remember correctly, one of the things that stops us from implementing familiar camera schemes is our need to interact with the world using the left mouse button, especially during home decoration. Some ideas along the way (like an implicit mode for decorating) have been discussed along the way, and maybe there is a new solution we can move towards.

I'm happy to keep a watch on this thread and hear any other ideas folks have.

Lord Beaumaris, JackW, Kvow and 4 others like this.
  13. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Thanks! I don't see any reason why we couldn't interact using a keyboard button and some crosshairs. It works in other games. I would LOVE that as an alternative.

JackW and tekkamansoul like this.
  14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

On that note:

Can we possibly have a passive control toggle that allows us to use the mouse wheel to rotate furniture instead of Q and E?

I tend to get a little OCD about furniture and decoration alignment, especially since many of the keep and larger house floors have stones laid out in square grids, which do a wonderful job of telling me how misaligned my furniture and carpets are in comparison, not to mention how asymmetric the house is in relation to that aforementioned square grid floor. ;)

Kvow likes this.
  15. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

When it comes to house decorating and camera I find myself constantly adjusting the camera to get where I'm placing the item completely in view, underestimating, then releasing the item so I can adjust the camera view again!

16. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

You do if you want to be able to interact with the world in any way. This is not a very good option at present.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Agreed, the current implementation isn't the best but it's something I see them improving over time. For now you just have to toggle it back and forth using a hotkey.

18. Olik Halvdan

Olik Halvdan Avatar

Decorating is a small part of the game. Many will not care about it at all and even for people who do have houses they will only decorate a small percentage of the time compared with other aspects of the game (except maybe for the maze builders). I'm not sure that hobbling the interface for a small percentage of the interaction.

Many games only allow you to click on/interact with the object at the center of the screen and have no concept of a movable cursor. I'm curious what it is about the decorating that makes a movable cursor necessary? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to decorate if the cursor was fixed to the center of the view.

JackW likes this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

A moveable cursor is necessary for decorating for the same reason it is necessary for gathering, crafting and combat.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  20. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

One massive -1 from me for the idea of a fixed cursor. It's absolutely the worst thing about Skyrim and Mass Effect. What's the point of a world if you can't interact with it?

Saosis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.