Renting!

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Poor game design, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

Http://www.thecaverns.net/speakeasy

Sites not a hundred 100% done yet, but ill be renting rooms if the demand exsists.

2. stile

stile Avatar

Those that rent from me have priority consideration for vendor spot(s) at my shop if game mechanics allow.

Http://www.thecaverns.net/sfb

3. stile

stile Avatar

If not, not a bog deal. Assign the cost as a copper. Or if a minimum you can always just hand it back.

4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

In what way would it be possible for a landlord to "behave badly"?

5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

This. This is important. If someone owns a house, they should have the right to set the amount or keep it free. This would prohibit price gouging. It would encourage fair play rather than people buying up housing to make personal profit.

I already know who I would rent from, and it would surely be someone with ethics, who is not using a game to make a personal profit.

Bow Vale and AvatarAcid like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well I would imagine the main reason someone to rent in a PvP town is for in fact PvP. I wouldn't have thought it would be in the landlords best interests to rezkill tenants etc as his rep would soon get known and he would end up with no tenants.

Jatvardur likes this.
  7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Seems to me, that tenant would move out on first incident and report that landlord. Could they get their rent back? What if they paid real cash? So what would the consequences be for a landlord that did this? I know some pks that lured people to their house, to kill. You get wise to this type pretty quickly.

Rent seems like a can of worms.

8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I don't think it has to be a can of worms. If both parties agree on terms up front, using a pretty simple interface, then that set of rules (term and pricing) is the sole governor of the landlord-tenant relationship. If one of the parties isn't satisfied with the arrangement, he can wait for the agreement to end. If the tenant doesn't pay, the agreement ends. Maybe there's some griefing that will happen. In which case maybe just do month-to-month rental arrangements so you don't have to live with a bad situation too long.

9. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Buttons could be easy.

(*) Land Lord allow renew = pay more and can stay longer this is default
    (*) Land Lord will not renew = When your time is up your gone, (no complains because no loss.)

This last one can be optional if Land Lords are allowed to evict when there is still prepaid tier left.

(*) Land Lord evicts = Remaining unused tier returned to tenant, (no complaint because no loss.)

10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

In theory, this sounds pretty simple.

But, what if a landlord suddenly decides they want to double the rent and the tenant doesn't want to pay? Sure, they kick them out. But what does that tenant then do with all their stuff? If bank space is limited, then what? What if they had a vendor with a lot of stuff as well? The risk is all on the tenant's side, not the landlord's. They can kick people anytime they want, for any reason.

See, that's why renter protection programs started. Because sometimes landlords really are not reasonable and cause hardship on tenants. So, how will this issue be addressed, particularly if that person paid real world cash?

It doesn't have to be a can of worms. But human nature being what it is, it will become one.

Xandra7 likes this.
  11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Burden should be on the tenant to make sure he has enough inventory space when the lease ends.

Design it so the tenant can only get evicted at the end of the lease term, a date certain. Then nobody can complain about not having enough inventory/bank space.

12. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

The Landlord can double the rent if he wants but the renter would have the remaining time he has paid for before he would have to pay the new rate.
    If the landlord kicks the renter before his time is up then the remaining time the renter has left is rebated.
    If the renter decides to leave before his time is up his prepaid tier is forfeit

this by in game design eliminates complaints of gold lose by renters.

13. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If a renter already has enough available space, then they would have no need to rent in the first place.

14. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

What is the benefit of renting if you already have enough available space and all the burden is on the renter? Why would someone want to rent at all if this is the case?

15. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

It's a bit disturbing that people don't think about consequences to the landlord for their behavior, but only that a renter has no recourse and they are penalized. If that isn't a totalitarian housing concept, I don't know what is. How does this make the game enjoyable to anyone except the totalitarian?

Xandra7 likes this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Don't confuse bank/inventory space with housing. The benefit of renting is if you want housing space but either can't, or don't want to, pay for a lot and a house. So you rent space in someone else's house. Same as in RL.

What's totalitarian about it? It's an arms-length transaction between the renter and the landlord. Everybody knows the rules going into the transaction. Nobody's forced to be a renter or a landlord.

You might want to look up totalitarianism. Doesn't really apply to this context. :)

Jatvardur likes this.
  17. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Any system used that has the in game design where no one can lose gold be it landlord eviction or otherwise will be fine. Complaints will have no teeth if there is no gold loss.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Right. So where is the incentive to rent?

19. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

More storage space can't be bought except through a house or renting. It's the only incentive I can think that a person would want to rent. If they have to reserve enough bank space in case they lose their renting status, what is the incentive to rent? Gold is meaningless in this situation.

20. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Yes now would you want that lost along with prepaid tier on the whim of a landlord?
    That is why i suggested what i did, it gives the renter no loss of gold and time to find another place if there is a reason to leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.