Player Run Towns - Lots Question

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Sir Tim, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

My clan is planning how many of what lot types we can put in our play run towns. We noticed Row Housing was missing from the "examples" in the descriptions.

Are row houses allowed?
    What other buildings can we put up there?
    I noticed NPCs will be allowed, is the a limit to a certain number or specific selection?

Thank you.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You are posting in housing you should post in Town Hall > Player Owned Towns.
    There you will find the answers to all your questions.
    I'm on a mobile now but send me a PM and I'll bombard you with the links you need.
    There is much easier tools out there.

Isabel, AvorinSwiftslay and Sir Tim like this.
  3. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Spoon, thanks for the link. It answered a lot of questions.

I took a look at the Player Owned Towns Calculator.... I happened to realize something that the pledge may be wrong.

In the pledge it says the Town can fit 84 village lots... that left 0 square meters for roads! Basically some players would be land locked. I think I need to wait on the level of planning till we get more info because the dev team obviously didn't fully think that out. Now I could be wrong and the square meterage is "buildable" space only and there are roads, but they are not included in the square meters. But that would be the first time I've ever seen a town NOT count the roads and parks space.

If a dev can clarify... that would be awesome.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Tim;

Don't worry about the roads and the town square and all of that... those aren't charged against the square footage allotted for the town.

Jatvardur and Sir Tim like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There are different areas:
    The lot-size area - where you place player deeds
    The scene area - where roads, trees, walls, NPCs, NPC houses, terrain, etc goes.

The lot size area is the one which is a hard value which you see in the calculator.
    For the area size it depends on the template. So there is no hard number.
    But we have a rough estimate. (Pointed out by @Logain) In the add-on store description they compare the size of the POT to a scene in the game. Then you take that scene use one of the known sizes like a village lot and use as a ruler to measure the size of the scene.
    So in the description a holdfast is 2/3 of Braemar, so we measure Braemar
    here is a pic @Logain did:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2fx67huugf38dc/Braemarsize.jpg
    So now we can calculate a rough estimate for scene size.

Isabel and Sir Tim like this.
  6. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Do you know if player owned towns are going to be taxed? Can POTs tax their occupying clan members?

We plan to grow large and clan members that go inactive; we would like a way to remove the ones they place through taxing property. Not to mention it will help with weaponizing our guards and hiring mercs.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Player owned towns purchased through the add-on store will not be taxed. If you acquire a player owned town via in-game gold, that may be taxed.

Yes, if you own a town you can tax people whatever you want manually by saying "give me gold or I'll kick you out of this town".

8. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I was hoping for a system that automatically taxed them the way the game already does to people with the non-tax-exempt lots. I hope they add that. Anyway... I'll stop there as I make a post specifically for all this in the Town Hall > Player Own Towns forum as suggested by others.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Isn't in scope. If a settlement owner wishes to charge rent, they need to collect it themselves.
    There is no need for any automation, and settlement owners always have the right an ability to evict whomever they please at any time, for any reason or no reason at all.

10. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Yikes! I can see that being abused. Someone loads up their house with loot... evict to get loot.

11. Drocis the Devious

The player could keep all their stuff in the house. BUT they would no longer have a place to live. So if that's the last open spot in the world, they're at a very bad disadvantage.

It's a question that many of us have brought up countless times. So far we haven't gotten an answer from the devs have players will have some stability living in POT's. That said, they recently mentioned something about "renting" that will likely answer those questions when we get more information. Until then, POT's seem very risky to me.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Incorrect.
    The house and all of the belongings of the player evicted, including any decorations on the outside of the house, or on the lot itself go into that player's bank, as does the lot deed used to claim the lot.
    The settlement owner has no more right to the house owner's property than any other player.

Zelek Uther, Isabel and Jatvardur like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you don't trust your landlord, don't live in their settlement.

Zelek Uther likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

How would you know to trust someone in an online game? Do all players have the same connections or support structure?

There will be a land rush at the start of this game, and the people that choose the wrong POT to live in, may find that their options are not so good once the land rush has concluded. I don't think that's a fair amount of risk for people just looking for have fun. Especially when you consider that currently there's nothing to stop a landlord from simply changing the rules of the game. Afterall, if the people living there don't like it, they really only have one option - move.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you don't trust the landlord, don't live in their settlement.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

And so if you do trust them, and that trust is misguided? I guess you're just stupid and get what you deserve? That doesn't sound like a good way to retain people in this game.

Sir Tim likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The simple fact of the matter is that they're not going to put in the administrative infrastructure you want. And, were they to, any system they devise will still, ultimately, be based on Trust. There is no foolproof system and the more complex the system, the more the system can be gamed.

At least the system in place right now is very simple and very easy to understand.

So... If you don't trust your landlord, don't live in their settlement.

I say this as a landlord.

18. Drocis the Devious

I'm also a landlord and I say that renters should have, at a minimum, a contract that gives them some sense of stability.

The contract should be for 1 month, at a minimum, where players can NOT be evicted by the landlord for any reason. This contract may cost money, there may be a deposit involved, and if the landlord is unhappy with the renter the landlord should be able to keep the deposit per the contract. But landlords should not be able to just throw people on the street whenever they wish.

Tarsin likes this.
  19. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

My solution to this trust issue regarding Player Towns was to establish a community ran government (https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/player-town-governance.11830/) for that town. Yes there is still room for abuse by the actual town owner, but my hope is that anyone (like me for example) willing to go to the trouble of establishing the player town government wouldn't be likely to abuse it.. Towns should have by laws controlling how they function, and if the government in power abuses it there should be provisions to kick out the government :). If Portalarium was willing to take on some of the administration, I think towns like this could even defer some of the control to them. Realistically this is probably overkill, but still, I'd like to see some towns that are truly community ran, instead of just communities to support guilds, or communities ran by those interested in having town ownership power with their buddies.

Now if only I could convince Portalarium to support the ability to scale some subset of lots up or down. Committing to a specific lot size / quantity ratio up front is challenging...

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Feel free to do as you will with your settlement. How do you propose to enforce your contract?

I am very up-front.

I am a feudal lord. I hold the village of Dawn's Keep in the name of Lord British. The land is mine (until such time as Lord British revokes that right), and mine to do with as I please. I will promise to treat you fairly, but the land is mine, and should I judge you unfit to inhabit my village, I will exercise my right and revoke your right to do so.

I will promise to make that a last resort, but I will make no guarantees.

On the other hand, the land is mine, and Lord British charges me no tax. I will not muddy my rights to do with the land as I see fit in service to my liege by charging rent to my tenants and thereby incurring a fiduciary responsibility to them.

If you do not trust me to treat you fairly, it is in both of our best interests that you not live in my village.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.