1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

A quick update on harvesting skills!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

Chris will different tier level resources appear visually different in R15 so players have an idea what they are getting themselves into before attempting to harvest a node?

Also,

I assume each "skill level" is worth 5 points otherwise your example would result in total skill of 25 and not the 45 you stated. Correct?

2. danz409

danz409 Avatar

this is quite interesting. however if there is higher tier nodes coming out. i hope they adjust accordingly. finding copper nodes that only have a %8 of harvest chance with maxed out mining skills and a pickaxe of propsparity is scarry!

Tahru and Ice Queen like this.
  3. danz409

danz409 Avatar

also. if not for the "boost" of skill points given at the start. i don't see anyone gaining any skill any time soon with all but tier 1 nodes being un harvest-able. would take ages looking around for those particular nodes for that 10-50 exp. and even longer to get levels to put those skill points into harvesting skill of desired tree. anyway. balancing will be a late alpha/beta thing. hopefully they will give the skill boost at the start of real R15 release.

adjusting amount of experienced gained based off difficulty will be nice. such as succeeding in harvesting a 30% or 8% node will net like 1000 exp or something.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Just a thought on the prosperity tools.
    It's nice (IMHO) to have a pay to play advantage, but if after we pay to play you decide to degrade or remove the advantage, I would expect to have the option of selling them back to the store for a refund, not a store credit. You might want to consider that before making any final decisions.
    Changing the rules after buying a virtual item with virtual money is one thing - not always well received but still, no real harm done.
    Selling a virtual item for real world money and then deciding to change it's characteristics after the fact is understandable as the game develops - but once it no longer meets its original design criteria, I should have the right to decide if it is still worth any or all of the original real money purchase price.
    I'm just sayin'
    Sil

Tahru, Brent Sasz and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Tsk, just whip harder your slaves guild mates, to make them gather more and quicker!!! :p

Tahru, Logain and Themo Lock like this.
  6. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

danz409,
    Those nodes with the 50 points are not rare, I kept finding them. Of course, this is the first iteration of crafting the devs will monitor the numbers and adjust as needed as time goes on.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Is anybody getting XP for harvesting stuff? Or do we only get XP for crafting stuff right now? Personally I don't seem to get any XP when I field dressed some bears.

Although critical harvests are cool.

Tahru likes this.
  8. danz409

danz409 Avatar

i understand that. however the amount of nodes it takes is increadable. and this is just for level 2. so its hard to think of how many nodes its going to take for the higher levels

as said. hopefully more balancing will come in later alpha/beta releases. *crosses fingers*

Tahru likes this.
  9. aaronvf

aaronvf Avatar

I just cried a little. You complete me.

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I agree

Tahru and Brent Sasz like this.
  11. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I screenshotted every Prosperity Tool in the addon store to make sure the promised effects do not change from what they've been marketed to us as being. I advise others to do the same, just in case people start getting cold feet for whatever reason.

Right now we are not seeing the promised effects (speed increases and extra quantities and quality and so on), and with the harvest skills and limits now being in the game, I would hope the tools start working as advertised.

[​IMG]

Net, Ice Queen, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  12. Baron Blackbird

Baron Blackbird Avatar

Howdy,

I understand not having to repair the tools & how nice that is, but please let me try again if you will. Will a player be able to harvest the hardest/rarest nodes with these tools or will we need a better quality of tool in order to do so?

Being able to harvest all nodes with a set of tools is more important to me as I'm a pack rat & if I need to carry two sets of tools in order to be efficient, that is what I would like to know. One set (the 3 add ons) to harvest everything they can without breaking & then another set entirely to harvest the hardest/rarest stuff, because the add on sets can't.

Thank again,

Baron Blackbird

Tahru likes this.
  13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Although they already have strayed away from the whole increased quality part, if I remember rightly, it can be argued that they are meeting the other properties or have plans to meet them.

As there are skills that increase chances of harvesting a node, the speed at which you harvest and the chances of the node remaining after a harvest, a harvesting tool adding +1 to all three of these (or +2 or +3, depending on what they want to do with them) effectively meets all of the promised abilities as follows:

Adding to the Swift Gathering skill increases the speed at which the tool allows you to harvest

Adding to the Skillful Harvest skill effectively increases the quality of materials you harvest, as it will allow you to harvest nodes you might not have been able to without it, and so increases the likelihood of receiving added materials such as zinc, tin and the like (when looking at mining, for instance) above and beyond the basic iron or copper

Adding to the Meticulous Collection skill effectively increases the chance of multiple harvest, increasing the quantity.

So, lets take the Pickaxe of Prosperity, for instance.... giving it a +1 to Swift Gathering, Skillful Harvest and Meticulous Collection under the Mining skill tree would be an admittedly cheap way to go about it, but it DOES make good on the promised effects., without giving too much credence to the pay to win crowd's arguments.

Tahru likes this.
  14. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

The prosperity tools are indestructible, but not the most powerful tools possible. Will they give you access to the rarest stuff? Probably not. But it appears they'll make leveling up and gathering most nodes noticeably better than what you will buy at a crafting pavilion.
    I don't know what skill will be needed to craft the best possible tools - my guess is a grand master Tinker - but they will be made in game and don't exist yet.
    This probably won't make you feel any better but I hope it helps
    Sil

Tahru likes this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The info on the store page is not the only promises made relating to the prosperity tools, making items that were sold for cash crappy is a sure fire way to start a riot. They are supposed to be upgradable to high end tools (but not the highest), indestructible and pretty.

Ice Queen, Tahru and Lord Lonn like this.
  16. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Some guys already telling us we won't be getting the tools we thought we bought? These guys above for real?

The screenie shows the item I bought, it better deliver as advertised.

17. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

We've been discussing this ingame. There will be riots if any deal is reneged on.

Ice Queen, Tahru and Lord Lonn like this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Port has been doing a pretty good job of going out of their way to deliver on promises made to backers, i would not stress too much ^.^

Tahru, royalsexy and Lord Lonn like this.
  19. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Then what's with these guys above going round telling us the tools are going to get nerfed?

Tahru, Isaiah [MGT] and Lord Lonn like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

they are players making suggestions

Tahru and Lord Lonn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.