Any good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Damian Killingsworth, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Hello Everyone!

After 4/20/15 I will be leaving the comforts of the modern world for about 5 months. Alas, there will be no internet, or cell service. I am mailing my self about 50 pounds of books and looking for recommendations. This seems to be the best place to look

My favorites are mostly fiction:

Tom Robbins
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
    Haruki Murakami

Non Fiction:

Thomas Friedman
    Studs Turkel
    Noam Chomsky

Thanks in advance!

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If you have access to power, I would suggest you get yourself an e reader and save the postage costs....you can put thousands of boooks on them.

Some series off the top of my head

saga of the seven suns(light scifi series)
    The Dragon reborn series.
    Game of thrones.

Cosimo, Solazur, Jatvardur and 4 others like this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

such a good idea! why had I not thought of this?

Cosimo likes this.
  4. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I highly recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Also, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series (both 1st and 2nd) are great!

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Wow, that's pretty O.G. It's been a long time since I heard anyone talk about that !

Non Fiction:

Girl in a Band By Kim Gordon

nibiruman and Destroying Angel like this.
  6. Damian Killingsworth

just curious if e books are easily downloaded via torrent

7. Ciciro

Ciciro Avatar

Time Patrol series by Poul Anderson.

[​IMG]

Destroying Angel likes this.
  8. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I'm reading this book called "Replay." It's what the movie Groundhog's Day was lightly based on. Already turning out to be very entertaining. I just finished and would definitely recommend "Martian" by Andy Weir. "The girl with all the gifts" by M.R. Carey is entertaining. It's a zombie type survival kind of book that is decent. Not for everyone. "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline is pretty decent but I feel one might be put off by the seemingly endless references to the 80s. "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card is amazing. Should be read. "Wool" by Hugh Howey was pretty good. I would even recommend "The Hunger Games" if you haven't read them. I breezed right through them and never had a regret. "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. I didn't care for the beginning, exactly, but once he is out to sea.... very easy to imagine a crazy journey as described. Definitely get an e reader. Our favorite so far has been the kindle Paperwhite. Long battery life. Bright and feels good on the eyes.

9. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

cough cough the 100 best sci books of all time just search for ebooks sci fi :)

10. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

You may have to convert to work with your e reader. But there are sites that do it fast and for free.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've tried to read the Wheel of Time series many times, and have never been able to get past the the first couple of chapters.
    The Thomas Covenant series joins everything ever written by Dickens on my list of books that should never have been.

Jatvardur likes this.
  12. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

:( This makes me want to cry a little bit.

Cosimo and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Cheer up :) Not everyone agrees with Rufus :)

We'll find a way to destroy Dawn's keep and rename it "Dusk's Ruin".

nibiruman likes this.
  15. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Paul Sage gifted me Book 1 of The Belgariad when we worked together on Tabula Rasa. It took me three tries over a few years' time to get past the first half, but oh boy when I did I loved it. Books 1-5 were fantastic, and I enjoyed books 6-10 as well (a little less than the first five, but still)

And I grew up devouring Dragonlance books, so I think you should read at least the first six of those. (Chronicles trilogy and Legends trilogy)

16. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

- I recently read "The Martian" by Andy Weir, and enjoyed that one a lot. Was actually surprised how MUCH I enjoyed it.
    - If you like Ultima, you might be able to find the Ultima book somewhere. It's out of print, but I am sure it can be found ;) First part is a bit of biography of RIchard Garriott and how he came up with the games, the latter part is rather rough walkthroughs of the games, written like a little story. Guess it's mostly interesting for Ultima-fans
    - I recently read "20th century ghosts" by Joe Hill (son of Stephen King), which was an interesting collection of short stories... a bit similar to his dad's style, yet different as well.
    - I recently started rereading collections of Robert E.Howard, esp. his COnan-stories. They were written for pulp-magazines, and of course, you can easily tell they're from a different era, and sometimes they seem very old-fashioned, but still, I do enjoy rereading these, as Howard, at least IMO, had quite a talent for creating a fascinating setting and pulling his readers into it.
    - Someone mentioned "Ender's Game", and I agree. I didn't really know what to expect, but once I started reading, I finished that one quickly, a pretty good page-turner.
    - Dunno if you're interested in something like that at all, but I read "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story", and that was quite a fun, interesting read.
    - Someone mentioned the Wheel Of Time-series, while someone else kinda voted against it. I did read the first few books, but then kinda lost interest. However, ymmv, so maybe try the very first one, give it a try. The series is quite popular, and if you like the style, you might enjoy it tremendously...and those books will keep you busy for some time, its a pretty long series =)
    - Have you read anything by Dan Simmons? If not, and you want some more SciFi, please, if you can, check out "The Hyperion Cantos" (four books... some of the best SciFi I have read), and maybe "The Terror"

those were the first few ones that came to mind

Cosimo, rune_74 and Doom Angel like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm going to go with Daemon, and Freedom by Daniel Suarez.

If I needed good books to get me through 5 months, those two would be a good place to start. There's no long term series commitment. If you like the first one, you'll like the second one.

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Shogun - James Clavell
    Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brien
    Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson
    Gotrek & Felix Omnibus - William King/Nathan Long
    Blackhearts Omnibus - Nathan Long
    Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
    Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac
    Walden - Henry David Thereau

Just a few that I enjoyed reading and re-reading through the years! :)

19. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

All mine are fiction.

Audiobooks:
    Dresden Files (About ~13 books now. Wizard detective in Chicago. The audiobook is read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy))
    The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson. I dislike most of his books. I love these two (third coming 2016). They have two very nice readers for the audiobook. Hard to fully explain this one but the first two books are over 75 solid hours of listening, so they'll take up a lot of time.

Book/e-Book:
    The Demon Cycle (Terrible audiobook readers. I just use read the books themselves. 3 Books atm with a fourth coming next month hopefully. Demons rise up in the night to kill people.

rune_74 and Destroying Angel like this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This dude has it right, both those on audio are great, if you have not read Patrick Rothfuss's name of the wind I will feel very sad for you.
    Read demon cycle also on audio it's do able and a worthy mention. There's also petter v Britt warded man series pretty awesome to. But I can go on and on about books and series I think I own like 3000 or so of them.

Can't lose with:
    Jim butchers dresden files, Sanderson way of kings and Rothfuss name of the wind (all are series)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.