When its time to pick lots based on pledge level...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Schwanke, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

Before POTS i belived would be a total amount of lots equal to lots in pledges +30-50%
    and now its uncertainlty if that still that amount in npc towns
    or if its NPC town +POTS nowdays

2. syxs

syxs Avatar

Thank you DarkStarr!!!!

I didn't recall you ever saying it or anything close to it but the people seem to think that since only a few towns are in that the housing is going to be an issue only solved via POTs and that anyone below LM won't get the plot based on pledge level because of all the higher pledge level people claiming all the lots in NPC towns I am glad you came out and said it plain and simple.

And I will say again I didn't think that but people in this thread kept bringing it up.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If there are thousands of lots available in NPC towns to cover all pledges + 30% and you have 200 POTs as well, are you concerned that you'll have empty POTs and such?

I somewhat assumed that the suburbs like Holtrot with no NPCs in them that only exist for player housing would be cut back a bit since you're adding 200+ POTs.

Could you do a housing survey to see what percentage of players intend to live in POTs and what percentage of lots you need in NPC towns?

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't think has anything to do with PoTs. As far as I understood house space within NPC areas would be enough to cater for every lot deed that forms part of a pledge, every lot deed that has been purchased from the store......plus an additional 30% or so for players to obtain the space within the game itself.

PoT space is separate from all of that.......will some PoTs be empty? that's anyone's guess because a lot depends on the player-base. Assume 50k players I would say that if all pledge rewards/store houses were placed.......people played and took up the addition 30% or so by playing the game.......then started to fill every PoT........I would be surprised if every player would have a plot. This is still consistent with making land limited with housing being desirable with a market surrounding it.

I have seen or heard nothing to suggest any inconsistency regarding what has always been stated about housing.

Duke Raas and Ice Queen like this.
  5. enderandrew

But that is what I'm saying. If you create these suburb towns like Holtrot with no NPCs, no dialogue, no vendors and the exact same templates and drop 100+ of those towns in the world, then the map will only be even more crowded than it is before. If everyone is living in those towns, then the people who spent thousands on PoTs will be upset. Or maybe everyone lives in PoTs and these suburbs are just wasted space that devalue the hundreds of thousands people spent on pledges for lot deeds since there is double the housing in game for what you need.

6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

What Envy just said about the lots is correct.

and, if someone gets upset they can't fill their POT's because backers choose to live in Npc cities and Npc PRT, that's on them for being misinformed. Never once have the devs said we'd be forced into to choosing a POT lot with our rent free deeds. I assume the POT's might seem a bit empty at first but I'm betting that if the game is successful, they'll have no problem getting people that weren't backers to take a lot in their POT. A lot of people will be paying the minimum price for the game once it's released and will want housing, so POT's should fill up nicely over time during that first 6 months after release.

7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So what you need to do is go and look at the stats regarding pledge levels and work out how much housing is attached to those. Then add in approx number for store purchased housing. Take that total and add 30-40% and the answer will be a good guide to required amount of housing in NPC areas. Now look up the total number of PoTs split by size.......total up the total sq m and divide by what the 'average' plot size is (you could put a lot more science into this btw)......what your left with is the total amount of plots available in PoTs. Now add the the PoT space to the NPC space and compare to the total number of pledges.

It is highly unlikely PoTs will be empty.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  8. enderandrew

But it seemed like Starr was saying PoTs won't be considered and that they're guaranteeing NPC towns alone will cover thousands of pledge lots +30%. Which means we're going to have a very crowded map where you trip over a town literally every two seconds and housing is devalued.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I do not think of housing as a value personally so it does not affect me. I am not in the game for monetary gain. I love the idea of not "trapping" people and forcing them into POTs.

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

That's correct.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Its correct that PoTs do not come into it.

As for housing being devalued........your blowing this up into something it really isn't.

12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think some people forget, you only get to claim 1 of your lot deeds at first, if you have multiples.....the second one you have to wait until the add-on stage to place them.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-selection-sequence-process.11466/
    Add On Lots + Secondary Lots (Lord & above): These will not have any sub groups and would all go at once (but still before general public)

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    All of my lots will be placed in my player owned town. This will free up a couple lots at least in the NPC realm :)

14. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Considering that they had to fix a bug because accounts locked up when players have more than 40 houses... I am glad we'll have extra space to grow. :) Yes - that player with the locked account was probably Dallas on Hometown Island... but still... I am sure some players will go way overboard with it.

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

16. smack

smack Avatar

I'd like to get confirmation that POTs have replaced PRTs entirely. I thought they would only replace some of them, not all of them.

I hope they still retain some PRTs. It would give players the most options and flexibility where they'd want to live: NPC towns (if they can snag one), PRTs, and then POTs.

Because no player is ever forced to live in a POT, especially during lot selection, there simply isn't enough real estate within NPC towns to accommodate current demand (plus 30% post-launch). That's where PRTs would come into play, without having to create endless rows of housing within NPC towns or force players to live in a POT.

And I'd have to disagree that POTs replacing wilderness/suburban PRTs makes the game better...

Duke Raas and Atmosfear like this.
  17. enderandrew

It seems I was mistaken. Starr just said in another post they are still absolutely guaranteeing that everyone with a lot pledge has a spot in the world +30%, regardless of POTs.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

My advice would be to put in a statement about what you guarantee about numbers of lots in game towns in the housing FAQ. That way we can easily link to it when such rumors go around.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_52
    You will need to update that one anyway on AUG31 since a lot of it becomes obsolete then.
    Just something simple like "all pledge and addon store deeds have guaranteed placement in game controlled towns" would suffice for such purposes.

Why those rumors persist is partly because of other forums than this one.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, great suggestion.

Shiva2 and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  20. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

The primary reason why there is an issue is that people continue to spread misinformation about the game as you can see in this very thread. You might want to post this up somewhere and lock it in a sticky so that we can help refute these baseless rumours by pointing to something.

As I said, and has now been confirmed by DarkStarr, we are ALL guaranteed a spot in a non POT town, as was promised in Kickstarter. Since that is the case, I will certainly be claiming my NPC town plot since it is a one time only rush for a 100% safe spot that you cant be evicted from ever (unless you don't pay your taxes of courses).

There will be no situation where I don't get my promised TOWN lot in an NPC town due to someone above me in the rankings taking it from me in the land rush before I can get one. . There will be enough lots of each pledge level for your PRIMARY houses to be on their appropriate sized lots in NPC towns. Period. No one who gets castles will run out of castle lots and start stealing city lots, and no one who is supposed to get a city lot will be out of luck and have to take someones town lot etc etc. That is pure FUD and mistruth.

If this ever does change between now and game release time, I will leave the game forever and I know quite a few other will as well, because its what we were promised. It would be a PR mess.

I was not told in Kickstarter that I would pay thousands of dollars for my account, and that I would then be forced to place my lot and live under a players rules in their player owned town. Also I was never told I would be subjected to being kicked off my land by that other player at their whim.

POT's were not around in kickstarter, it was never the intention to force account pledgers to populate POT's, and if it ever does change before release, theres going to be major issues and fan blowback.

DarkStarr has reiterated the truth yet again in this thread, (and he must be getting tired of doing so) so hopefully people will finally stop spreading false rumours. I will do my part to help the stop of these rumours.

Sometimes I wonder whether false rumours are being spread in order to "scare" people into joining POT towns by some POT owners. I hope its not being done just so the POT owners can make more money as a business, because that would truly be in poor spirit and underhanded (and certainly un-Avatar like).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.