Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archery Question

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Chatele, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok I am working Bows now and the MAJOR problem is the Damage they do - 2 - 5 a hit at levels 25+ in all skills but stil have yet to unlock Damage Increase Innate.

Also you don't even need arrows to train / gain skills sory but you CAN stand on a rock and shoot at just about ANY critter, you will NOT hit them with enough damage to kill (even a large Wolf) but you will still gain skills even get off specials W/O any arrows.

I know I HOPE it is a bug and should be fixed but you can train away.

But in the end Archery still will NOT do much Damage.

Now if oyu are lucky enough to have a Summoned (Strong) pet, works nicely. I lost my Obs. Bear and now cannot get anything worthwhile to replace him yet, so Taming is also Borked.

Did just notice that without arrows Cool Down is ALOT more but still should NOT be able to shoot at all :-(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

You gain no skill xp for the bow skill using normal attacks. All your xp comes from using skills like aimed shot. So it takes a lottttttttt longer to raise the main bow skill compared to blades for example.
    Special arrows are still for sale at the blacksmith in Owl's Head and they lower the focus cost of archery skills. I have tested this out myself.

3. Majestic

Majestic Avatar

Ahh, thanks for that, makes much more sense now.

4. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Read the bug report a while ago... it's quite a bother knowing that i need to use the free attack to preserve focus but i'm not getting any exp for that... Since i play with ranged and air magic i'm using the combos to raise skill since they don't spend arrows and they make me improve in both skills (aimed shot and discharge/gust) along with the innates associated.

Finally i managed to snatch some time to go online... it's true that i needed lots of shots to kill enemies and my damage output is quite low, even having a full set of Dodge and a crafted bow (my stats are STR 29.5, Dex 18.5 Int 18). Sometimes i hit for 20-ish, but not a lot (and only hitting the enemy from the back). This, combined with the bug of not gaining xp with auto attacks is quite a bother.

Athanil likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It probably needs some "balancing".

Artair Geal likes this.
  6. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Doing it the same way (great minds think alike?) You might want to increase your dex for more crits. Since in my eyes a higher dex = more crits = less misses :p I'm also levelling up eagle eye like a lunatic for even more attack skill. If it works? No idea.

Also found that you shouldn't use the crossbows, skill damage went down significantly.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I was in high spirits since i've been hitting some bandits and large grey wolves for 5 to 10 getting usual spikes of 15 to 20 using the buff granted by piercing breeze (West perennial trail). We continued our journey towards South brightbone woods and i'm again hitting for nothing or 5 with a few high damage hits.

If i had to bet, i'd say it's adventurer level fault. I'm starting to hate that number.

Athanil likes this.
  8. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

If you have a obsidian bear there is a way to easily get some adventurer levels. Just go to the Grunvald Shardfall and have it attack Flesh flayers. Keep it away from the golems since they will probably kill it!

9. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

I have work my blade skill up to 95, that have bring my str dext and int up (using magic and some spells), now i have enough life and plenty of focus. Starting to this point i have decide to get my archery up. Now i can front monster and i don't run out of focus and have enough life to survive (using healing). The solution of crafting your ammo is good, i agree it takes a lot, but a fck lot of arrow to get the skill up but that's the beauty of the game.

If it were easy.... everyone could do it! I think archery is a great challenge in game! Keep training!

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Archery is getting another stab at balancing it this release. I'll be honest though, I think it is actually a bit OP right now and people just haven't figured out all the tricks yet!

Also, as someone pointed out, the crafting recipe for arrows now makes 100 NOT 10 like it used to.

Also, I know some people have figured this out by now but archers will get maximum DPS and maximum damage per arrow with free attack if they fully charge up each shot before they shoot! By this I mean that players can turn off auto attack, click and hold on each arrow until it maxes out the bar at the bottom before releasing. Maxed out I think this does about 4-6X damage per arrow of just clicking as fast as you can. The DPS also rises slightly with each notch you charge up. Definitely should be how every archer starts every fight!

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...and here I was avoiding free attack on purpose (actually prefer auto attack) o_O Silly me :(

12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

It is a bit more effort but if done right, it is better DPS and definitely will save you a lot of arrows!

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

I will try that out tonight o_O Thanks for the tip, Chris ;)

14. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

The problem with this is that it takes a lot more time to level your skill if you're shooting arrows at 8x slower than you could be by just clicking fanatically. Because the way skill increases is not by damage done per arrow, but by each arrow shot, from my understanding. (strictly talking about shooting a normal arrow, not using skills) So I've found in order to raise my skill faster I've had to click click click and do basically no damage and use up arrows much faster, but skill does increase quicker :-/

Chatele and Katrina Bekers like this.
  15. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

A few questions / feedback:

- Does attack speed increase the rate with which the free attack bar fills up? A fully charged attack would work as a opener, but other then that it's just too slow for my tastes to use in mid combat. Perhaps the rapid fire skill could be used to increase the speed by which your free attack bar fills up?

- Does Dexterity increase your crit rate? Since if it does, i do not see it. I have 64 dexterity with the buff and am getting just as few crits as when i started out.

- Still missing a lot, especially when fighting wolves (elder wolves and obsidian). My attack skill is 199.800 when standing still and 138.200 when running. I would like to see a smaller difference in attack skill drop since standing still is NOT a option, i would get killed fast! What i find strange is that melee attacks hit more often then my ranged ones.

Actually, getting skill gain through auto attack is still broken for bows. I've been spamming bow skills like a lunatic to get my bow skill up.

16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Ha! and everybody called me CRAZY for using free attack! now how's the crazy one? *maniacal laughter while fully stretching the bow*

I also think there's something odd regarding hit chance... i started a thread for that, and hope to keep adding numbers to see if my guts are deceiving me :p

Athanil likes this.
  17. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

It might have something to do with mobs that feel a tad unbalanced. At least they aren't running at roadrunner speed anymore. I felt like Wile E. Coyote with a bow. Only i was the one trying to run away! ;)

18. Gabriel Nightshadow

...except you can't really just stand there and charge up your attack with a pack of wolves trying to maul you to death :eek: ( They will close to melee range before you have time to kill them all :()

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Chatele and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

You can run while charging the attack, then turn around, stop and release it. Currently you don't even need to turn around, but it's good to practice.

Athanil and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Good to know, but often I find myself being pursued by 3-5 wolves :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.