Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archers are at a serious disadvantage now with regards to defense

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Gabriel Nightshadow, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Um..Chris, those changes really HURT archers with regards to defense :( I prefer to wear leather armor o_O (Both of my earth innate skills are in the mid 70's and my light armor innate skills are in that range too. Heck, my Acrobatics skill is even higher, at 103 ;) ) My damage avoidance has suddenly dropped from 7 to 5 and my damage resistance dropped from 28 to 21 :eek: I am taking significantly more damage now, and as an archer/mage, I refuse to wear plate armor (i.e., does not fit character concept and way too much fizzle while in mage mode ).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

With R23 and the character wipe, most armors will get a major overhaul. The goal is to make metal armors have a higher avoidance (makes people get glancing blows) but to normalize the damage resistance over leather through plate so they are about the same. Cloth will be a bit less.

I wanted to make that tweak this release but I hate nuking everyone's gear without a wipe.

3. Chris

Oh and in case people didn't know, glancing blows are about a 1/3rd damage hit. So heavy plate will absorb about the same amount as leather but will make people get more glancing hits for 1/3rd damage.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Chris, I like the spirit of what you're doing here. But what happens when someone is backstabbing a guy in plate...sure glancing blows could happen, but shouldn't they be less likely? And in the case of sneak attack, shouldn't a successful sneak attack just about completely ignore all these armor and innate abilities? Otherwise, aren't we just walking mounds of hit points and passive defenses that make strategic and tactical moves like sneak attack pointless?

Sara Dreygon, Chatele and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. Chris

The sneak attack one is something I'm working on. My dream is that R23 will not only finish out ALL skills in ALL trees but also introduce a new "Subterfuge" tree. I started down that path this release but it was clear it would cause a lot of issues to make the switch without a full wipe. R23 FTW!

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Very pleased to hear that plate will no longer be OP compared to other types of armor, Chris :)

Really looking forward to that "Subterfuge" tree o_O Hey, archers can be very efficient assassins - with the proper skills :rolleyes: Um...any chance of poison-tipped arrows in the near future?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

It sounds reaaaally great! Poison arrows (or the possiblity to apply stuff to our arrows, for that matter) is also an option i'd love to have... but for now i'd settle with not missing almost everything against high level mobs :p

8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Chris likes to punish us and see if he can break our will!!!! But a true archer cant be broken! ;)

9. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Just so we add a bit of reality when we talk about archers: (yes, that is me in that suit of armor to the left so I have some experience here)
    1. they should never need to have to shoot 20 arrows to kill something, unimpeded shots should even rip through plate if they are bodkin points.
    2. unless they are behind enemy lines or an obstruction then a mob will mutilate them. Running, shooting, running, shooting... yes, one or two lucky shots, but certain easy death.
    3. when running away, all your defense buffs are belong to naught. Translation: you are not avoiding, you are not attuning with the earth... you are running away. Should give attacker a large bonus and high chance of critical.

I both love and hate archers. They are infuriatingly good when protected by others. But solo archers are a thing for the movies. You either run away or snipe from higher/obstructed ground.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Archery was good a couple releases back, so they had to nerf it.

Chatele likes this.
  11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Agreed. We had one release in 20 that was pretty good.

Chatele and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  12. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

This is the eternal conflict between realism and reality... I shouldn't need 20 arrows to kill a thug... but a two handed mace should smash them clean as well. I should get ripped to shreds if an enemy with a melee weapon manages to get to me... but i want to be able to play my cool archer character solo like in the movies. We have a bonus when being hit from the back... but just to add some "realism" to the game.

I'm not trying to diminish your experience. I can see all your points are valid in the real world, but that's exaclty why i don't want all of them to be accounted for in the game. I'd say that if a game where combat works exactly like real life shows up... it won't be as much fun as a game that takes realism into account but keeps the spirit of the game in. For me, balance matters more than reality for a game.

Sara Dreygon and Chatele like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

In R21 they nerfed archers by lowering the damage that Aimed Shot does and now we've been nerfed even worse in R22. Mobs outrun me even more easily now, healing is almost useless and the ranged combat specials take twice the focus.

Gabriel Nightshadow and Chatele like this.
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Yup, I think these changes in R22 would discourage people from playing archers :( Well, I 've been playing an archer/mage since R10 and will continue to do so ;) I just hope they make adjustments to fix some of this combat math in R23 o_O

15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'm playing a new character archetype in R23. I've enjoyed these 3 months of archery but its time to test something else!

I'm grateful that Ranged Combat goes up with basic attacks. Nice fix.

Still need feathers in loot. Preferably on birds!

The quad hit of nerfed life (including banish undead), decreased survivability with armor, decreased aimed shot damage and arrows being so expensive has finally taken the spirit out of my archery love.

16. Gabriel Nightshadow

So sad to hear that :(

Leostemplar likes this.
  17. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Glad to hear that armors will be balanced. Glad to hear that skills will be balanced. Glad to hear that we will have new skills.
    I just hope that all will be balanced and not forcing players who want to do "high" lvl monsters hunting to wear a unique type of gear.

18. Chris

I played as an archer on my non-dev account for about 6 hours this weekend. I honestly didn't feel under powered. If you're expecting to be able to stand toe to toe with stuff and tank it while you shoot them to death I think you're doing it wrong.

Armor will get balance pass in R23 to make leather absorb more. A high dex is critical for defense for archers in light armor. Every 2 points of dex gives you another 1% chance of being completely missed by an attack. Keep that dex buff up and it will help your archery, crit chance, and defense. Also, the dodge skill is no longer junk and should be used liberally by light armor people as it increases in bonus with level.

Root, disabling shot, ice spells, gust to weave with archery to do pushes at great ranges, and a few movement buffs. I did a lot of kiting and movement control work but zero issues working with archery without dev cheating. Also, for a party, archers are GREAT for a dps support class.

Also, I keep mentioning it but if you aren't using free attack and fulling charging it up every arrow then you're throwing away money on arrows!

19. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If those final 2 skills come in as @Chris says they will I'll be suckered into doing it all again.

The balancing and rework of all armors in R23 might help and finishing the skill tree will help. As I think these are in the works I'll play test something else for a bit.

Have no fears. I'll be an archer at launch and contiue to give feedback!

Right now archery feels like a "support" character and who wants that?

I know Chris mentions he thinks archery is quite powerful but I believe he means with end stats and not while playing it to get there.

20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Ninja by a Dev!

Leostemplar, Manerd and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.