Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Suggestion: Let Add-on and Pledge items have "risk" in pvp

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Items currently purchased in the add-on store and pledge items are not currently lootable in pvp.

I think this is the right decision.

However, using these items in pvp creates an unfair advantage, imo. So what I propose is making add-on store and pledge items part of the looting table - but not allowing them to be actually taken from the player.

This is how it would work. Your add-on store and pledge items would never leave your possession, they would just be unusable for a period of time. So if you're used to walking around with Elven Plate Armor (for example), you'll now have to wait to use it again unless you pay the ransom. Failure to pay the ransom would not result in losing the item, it would result in a potentially much higher ransom.

For example, if you're carrying a deed around in your inventory (and you're flagged for PVP) you might temporarily lose access to the deed if you don't pay the ransom. But the attacker would never get your deed, just the chance to have a larger ransom.

Kether, KuBaTRiZeS, Wilfred and 5 others like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

*thumbs up*

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Why would I pay a ransom if I'm not going to lose the item?

I can kind if see what is trying to be achieved but it's not somthing I would consider to be a huge problem....... Well at least not one outside of alpha/beta. Armor/weapons should be balanced so the pledge ones should be noobie anyway.......in terms of addon store items, if that was introduced then PvPers simply wouldn't carry them around.

How did I go into battle pre AoS? Naked/stolen armour with 25 of each reg and a few potions (normally previous loot)
    How did I go into battle post AoS? With the best suit I could possibly put together.

4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I like it, you never lose it, but if you never pay the ransom, it's broke and you can never use it. Some people might be so lazy that they just go back to the add-on store and buy 10, so they can keep 'breaking' but never pay the ransom. Haha. Added risk, but never losing an item that's bound to you. Very clever. We'll get this generation addicted to risk/reward gameplay eventually. ;-)

Numa likes this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like it, it's fair.

6. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Has this armor something special ? And what about the other wearable add-on store or pledge items (cloaks, bodice, ....)
    Seriously do you really think that those items have an effect on pvp ??

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The stuff I get from my pledge... Let me put it like that: Pretty much every stuff the tinkerer next door can produce at this first day playing is better than my pledge weapons and armor.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The pledge/addon-store/stretch-goal armor will be technically trash from a PvP perspective.

9. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Yeah, clever idea. If someone want to claim a lot in your PoT, you kill him.
    Thats a good reason not to live in an open PvP PoT.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

well the example that came to mind for me was elf gear once the stretch goal was met. The safe gear is never going to be on par with other gear ..but it does still seem a little cheeky to have no risk gear for lootable zones heh. Doesn't bother me either way.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. Aribeth

Aribeth Avatar

I think it is a great idea. The add on items should be ransomed, but you could always retake it.

12. Drocis the Devious

The problem, as I see it, is that I can wear nothing but add-on store and pledge items (like I am here) and that means I can't lose anything other than a body part which has no impact on me. It'a a way to reduce the risk that you'll have no pants after you die. Or that you'll have to run back to town and buy more armor after you die. Or that you'll have to pay the ransom for someone you can't do without.
    [​IMG]

My armor isn't enhanced as much as player crafter armor could be, but there's no reason it can't be worn in PVP - it's effective and it looks cool, and it has the added bonus that no one can take it and charge me a ransom.

13. Drocis the Devious

That's certainly a possibility, but it's not the goal of the OP. If the end result is that people don't want to live in a pvp POT, I'll take that risk. If we look at Rats Nest as an example, I plan to have 30 NPC guards, and probably at least 10 guard towers (with 2 NPC's each) so that's 50 NPC guards patrolling the streets and watching key areas so that people can walk around knowing "sure I might get attacked, but these guards will help me out so I should at least be able to run and survive". At least that's the plan.

Anyway, if what you're saying is that my idea makes it less likely people will want to live in a PVP POT, I think you might be right on a macro level. But I'm confident that over time people will be curious enough to try it out and I can provide the kind of reasonable assurance that there will be relative saftey in parts of the town - we should be ok.

14. Drocis the Devious

Just like there were naked mages in every other game with Open PVP, we'll have our own naked mages (only some of them will have on full plate armor).

15. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

That's a pretty good way to get the point across ...

Huge advantage IMO.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Is any pledge reward really all that good beyond initial levels?

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

What happens if someone loots your pledge reward housing deed?

18. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

His point is they can't loot it, which is okay, but there should be risk, so let them ransom it. and until the ransom is paid, the house is not available to you for use. So there's no worry that someone else can take your house, but it's not usable if someone chooses it as the ransom item, until you pay the ransom.

19. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack ponders what happens when ransom is never paid for any reason?

Captain Jack does not grasp the post. Seems like there is at least two ideas? Captain Jack strongly rejects duping paid items to players for free via PvP...

20. Drocis the Devious

Great question.

You don't get the use of your stuff back for a significant amount of time.

I don't understand what Captain Jack is carrying on about. What does "duping paid items to players for free via pvp" mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.