Ethical (in game) discussion of Order versus Chaos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

ah, but you stated it is yin and yang, equality.
    if you add balance/permanence (also known as yong, by the way, which has 8 strokes, where the number 8 is lucky, and also refers to the 8 principles of yong), that is not creating a third prong on the scale - it is the fulcrum of the scale itself. the point where balance, equality, is achieved.

2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Hehe you so silly, that is what I just said. Equality. ^.^

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

it happens when i'm sober - i miss details... off to get a shot, and then go back to work. :)

4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I don't think I should reply in this thread. I don't even know if it's serious or RP or what.

But there is one literally final law in physics. And it's *ALL* about disorder and chaos.

As any 101 physics student can recall from memory:

Die Energie der Welt ist konstant. Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu. (ΔS > 0)

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Order and Chaos are but elements of a system acting so that the sum of its parts remains in Harmony.

6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

there is chaos (your version) and then there is chaos, the version as defined in the ultima universe. the ultima chaos is not random.... think of it as a part of the pie, just like dark and light side are in star wars, like yin and yang (and yong) are.

one can not definitively attribute the ultima chaos to the energy and entropy laws in physics, or you will simply break the fourth wall. add this to you 'suspension of belief' folder, and things will be right with our worlds, once again. :)

7. Katrina Bekers

I think that's exactly my main quest around here.

Ruthlessly, mercilessly, unrelentlessly shattering the artifacts of who utters "immersion breaking!!1!one!" every time he or she has to touch the mouse (ugh! Immersion breaking!) or the keyboard (eww! Immersion breaking!).

...While at the same time keeping a very well defined persona as game character AND as player behind the character.

Like the reverse-RP of the two masterminds behind the "you are you" mantra - which they themselves don't obey in first place!!!

Could be more chaotic than this? ;)

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    the path of least resistance!

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

*checks if he took his meds today*

there is immersion and then there is immersion. the purists, in my opinion, are looking out for those easily distracted folks who tend to overthinki.....oooOOOoooOOooooOOOooo! BUNNIES!

where was i? oh yeah, the purists hate any type of interaction because it places them, emotionally, back at the keyboard and mouse, looking through the monitor over the shoulder of the ava......*drool*

sorry, saw something shiney.

i must be off, i just remembered something i thought about once, and must explore it before i forget again.

10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Well said.

11. Katrina Bekers

*Quickly hides the mirror behind the back*

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  12. Womby

Womby Avatar

To me order means predictability. If something is predictable it is not subject to unexpected change. Fascists regimes are ordered. The arrival time of trains and the response to dissent are both entirely predictable in such places.

Creativity on the other hand is the opposite of predictable. It is the genesis of something unexpected. The creation of music, literature - in fact anything novel is a chaotic act. It is stifled by the suffocating predictability of order.

Without chaos there is no progress, for progress by its very nature means change, and change is the opposite of ordered predictability.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Miracle Dragon and Acred like this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i ask you this, how much chaos is in Chaos? they are two distinctly different things with the same nym. to me, i see many people confusing the two, while simultaneously interchanging them.

Moonshadow likes this.
  14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

so a while back this friend of mine took a stab (pun intended) at running an 'evil' table top game. So I made a chaotic evil goblin wizard who was hired by the evil overlord attempting to conquer the land, he provided me with worgs, worg riders, a safe place to study magic ....... it was great, then i turned the army of worg riders against the human, killed him and burnt his city to the ground, taking his riches to the hills with my new army to start an empire of my own. the guy running the game never saw it coming and asked why i did it, to which I said "chaotic evil" .... is overlords are far more oppressive these days lol.

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

reminds me of this other game i played - goal was to save a city from superpowered crew who were intent on stealing some artifact from a museum.

i could control anything electronic with my mind. chaotic neutral.
    another could control energy with her mind. also chaotic neutral.

i yanked a bunker buster off a f-22 flying overhead, slammed it down onto the roof of the museum, she controlled the blast, confining it into the walls of the building itself, disentegrating everything alive within.

that was the first two moves of the campaign that night. we just started drinking after the argument that ensued. :)

Moonshadow likes this.
  16. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Music without order is noise. Literature without order is a jumble of words. Order does not prevent change. In fact order predicates change and provides predictions on how to structure and manage change.

Order is never predictable but provides structure for change. Chaos would have no trains running.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I read you. this is an excellent topic.

Although since you brought physics into this I would love to share a video that expounds your statements by scientists using scientific imagery. It is long but really thought provoking. Here two scientists from different fields came to the same conclusions.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

jetpacks!

19. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Order is a snowflake. Note the beautiful symmetry in their design. By the strict laws of physics, rules were followed in the making to form such intricate shapes and patterns.
    Chaos is a snowflake. For despite the laws of physics which must be followed in their making, no two are ever alike.

If we, as gallant followers of virtue, likened them as the creation of a snowflake, understanding both the order of their fundamental principals and connected branches, and the chaos intrinsic within their design carried out by our interpretation, then and only then, would we transcend the ineffectual arguments of order vs. chaos, to realize their true beauty.

Spoon likes this.
  20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Chaos and Order might not be separate at all. perhaps disorder is only in our psyche, and sanity comes when we see clearly.

[​IMG]

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.