Why all death in pvp should result in being looted.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Chris

Currently if you're being chased in pvp and you jump off a cliff, you can't be looted when you die.

If you get killed by a mob, you can't be looted when you die.

It's very easy to avoid being looted...you can even kill yourself using a spell like soul tap.

If someone is flagged as pvp or in a pvp zone, they should prompt a grave stone that can be looted by any player.

2. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

LoL, interesting but yeah if you are in a PvP area and die you should be loot able, on the other hand if you are flagged PvP and die to a monster yo should not be loot able, but if you where in a fight with a player ONLY that player should be able to loot you even if you commit suicide, so yeah this mechanic needs to be fixed.

Adam Crow and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

If I'm fighting monsters and see a group of PK's, you're ok with me dying to the monsters to avoid being looted?

If you're flagged pvp, I think you should be lootable no matter what.

It's important to remember that monsters will loot people in PVE eventually, they just don't do it now.

4. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

If you are in a PvP zone yeppers, but ONLY in PvP areas. Just because your flagged PvP thow you should ONLY be lootable if you where fighting that player.

Now if you are looted by a monster then No that means you are already looted so doesn't matter where only one loot chance allowed :)

A lot of work on this needs to be done :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting opening post.

So if you are chased by a pack of 10 PKs and jump off a cliff, who gets the loot? A random roll for everyone in the zone?

On dying to a PVE encounter, should someone going into a PVP zone to level on PVE mobs automatically be required to give up look to PKs just because they misjudged that a wolf was a little bit higher level than they thought?

6. Drocis the Devious

Only if they can't get back to their corpse fast enough.

If someone's in a pvp zone, it's understood that the risk is higher. To not make all death (for pvp participants) result in looting, that's a very exploitable system.

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I like this idea, and loved games where I had to run back to a gravestone in time before it became looteable. It would add a much needed boost of excitement/anxiety and help make death something worth avoiding more.

8. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think if this is done, there should be a consequence to looting a player's body. Like a pvp flag that can only be lifted by an oracle visit.

Gaelis, Ancev, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

So essentially the proposal is that any death, from any circumstance, in a PVP zone, means that a corpse is subject to open looting? According to the Oracle's rules in place now?

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I don't think we have open looting no... as much as I'd love it, no...

to me this thread sounds like this

[​IMG]

11. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure this should be very controversial. It seems like common sense to me.

What would the reason to not have something lootable in a pvp zone be? If you're pvp flagged, what's the reason to not be looted when you die? I understand that no one likes getting looted, but that's kind of besides the point.

Logain, John Markus and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

They've been talking about it forever. Trust me/it's coming/I'm not making it up.

13. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Please tell me this is true? edit: bah late

I was just thinking of making a poll post about having PvE make you drop random stuff too, like you have to go back and try get your stuff off of your skelton or something. I thought about the mob just taking it too, but what if someone comes and kills the mob?

it should be left on your skeleton and only you can get it

14. Drocis the Devious

Obviously this is not going to make the final wipe. It may even be in question for EP1. But Richard, Starr and Chris have repeatedly said that their goal was to have PVE creatures loot players that they killed. So yeah, a skeleton would be walking around with a sword that Leostrom made. Phydra might kill that skeleton (even in single player online mode) and then loot the sword off the skeleton. This would all be done with loot tables, and the items would just go into a huge pool of "player looted items" kind of like a treasure trove of looted stuff that could be used for various creatures in the game.

This would be even MORE important once the item affinity system is in place. This is also a big goal of the development team. In case you haven't heard of this one either, it's a system where the sword (for example) that you use the most might eventually give you a small bonus simulating the fact that it's your "favorite" and you have an "affinity" for it. So now if someone loots your sword in pvp or pve it becomes an issue. Pretty cool stuff. I hope we see this entering the game before launch but who knows.

15. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yea I heard of that, and I know they were adding a system like this to selling to vendors, where someone might get a sword I sold to a vendor off a bandit or what not. But yea im really hoping for more meaningful deaths.

As much as they are a pain, I feel a harsher death penalty adds a lot to game immersion and sense of adventure.
    I don't want total perma death, but some xp penalties/skill loss and gear drops from mobs/pvp makes things way more tense and causes more situations where you have to think about whether or not its worth the risk. Makes things a bit less La-De-Da.
    Even running over certain parts of the map should feel like a risk.

Logain likes this.
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

no.
    why?
    simple. you force it on everyone, many people leave and the business plan goes bust.

i'd be behind this if:
    set it to optional upon character creation - let the player decide.
    or
    also add permadeath upon option selection, during character creation.

Phydra likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Any non-pledge item, non add-0n store item that is in your inventory when you die.

18. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

why would they leave? rogue-like and hardcore games are awesome and some of the most fun ive had in the past decade as been with perma death type games.

but I don't want perma death, just more death penalties.
    Like the other day I was at a control point with some friends, and the ahnk is really close to it, so we just fought>died>respawned>fought>ext..
    over and over again, other than the armor dmg, not much was stoping us from just respawning over and over till everything was dead.

It felt.. watered down, or like death kinda didn't mean much, who cares if I die? I can run up to anything and go anywhere cuz .. whats it matter if I die?

19. agra

agra Avatar

Good to know, I'll use those the next time I'm participating in PvP. Thanks for the tips.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

And the side note to this is when you decide to stop picking flowers to pick some skulls instead. The punishment for failure should not be such a barrier that no one will cross over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.