Squating Property Sales

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by rune_74, Feb 2, 2016.

?

Should people be able to sell lots if they squated on them during land rush?

1. Yes

71.1%
  2. No

28.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

6 months is a reasonable time, because no one will have enoghh money in 4 weeks to pay maximum value.
    "Must be used", should be no problem because every high level backer has enough houses.
    Then it is worth to forgo the large main house.
    So, I am totally in favor! :rolleyes:

2. Eye8yourmount

Eye8yourmount Avatar

I think there should be a percentage of lots not available in land rush, and they randomnly come available.

Also there should be a 30 or 45 day time limit.

Also making another percentage of lots only claimed by people with that exact deed.

Ice Queen and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hello @Eye8yourmount, and welcome! I think those are pretty fun ideas. Variety is the spice of life. And the more variables, the more likely everyone won't be trying to do exactly the same thing. Which is good, since we can't.

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So in the Dev+ discussion I outlined two solutions to this issue which keeps all promises and which mitigate/solve the base issue.

>>Stick:
    Make only the additional +30% lots in each tier claimable "from above".

>>Carrot
    Add a Rare Trinket for Forfeiting ones place in lot-rush until group 91, thus giving everyone who want to "speculate/gain" an incentive to do the right thing.

Outline of the Stick:
    Outline of the Carrot:

licemeat, Shade Cido, Aimend and 13 others like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Spoon

I'm glad you reposted your "trinket" idea here. I like the spirit of that idea more and more. It' tweak it though. To provide an incentive to get players to use their lot deeds on the highest type lot possible, I'd say that anyone that performs this action should get a special rare item (a house decoration perhaps) as a gift.

That way players don't have to step out of line to get the gift, they only need to use their deeds for the highest type lot possible (Keep Lot Deed used for a Keep Lot). That seems easy to implement, easy to understand, and proportionately balanced with each pledge donation.

6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I think they should do their plan in reverse with store add-ons first then row. Village etc. It's the most virtuous & chaotic

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. Selene

Selene Avatar

It would be interesting to set it so the lower sized lots go first. i.e. The highest tier row lot pledge, then the highest tier village lot pledge, etc. It would stop lot sniping by higher level pledges, but I would still think the add-on lots/secondary lots should go last for their given size. By the time we got through the village lots, almost everyone would have at least one home to live in while lot placement continued.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hmm. That is a different fix though a good idea and they would compliment each other. Thinking on the fly here.

One trinket if you forfeit lot-rush completely.
    Another trinket if you claim a lot of the same size as your deed during lot-rush.

However while the first one is rather easy to "implement", that second one has a lot of exploit vectors which needs to be looked at. What happens if you first claim your own size and then claim something smaller? Or the reverse; if one gets the reward at end of lot-rush then if one is a fast enough trader one could speculate AND still get the reward. Etc. So much harder to implement really. So while I like the idea of your concept I don't think it is as 'doable' from a bang-for-the-buck PoV.

9. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure it would be that difficult to implement or there would be many use cases though. We're essentially adding a single logic element that says IF first lot during land rush equals same lot type, give reward. That solves all the use cases you brought up. I don't really care if people squat on a keep lot or not, that's their right. The behavior that begins to be disruptive in my opinion is when you have people using a keep lot (again for example) to get a village lot, then they switch out the lot later because they know they can always go get another keep lot. So it's like they're getting their cake and eating it to. Where as if they get the keep lot first, that gives another player the opportunity to get the village lot with their first pick. I think that's what we should be focused on.

10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Do I want people to claim prime lots and sell them? No.
    Should they be able to? Yes.

I don't think telling everyone they cannot move their home for 6 months is a very good way to combat this. It punishes everyone in an attempt to prevent a few people from trading real-estate for profit.

Earlier placement is a perk that people paid for. They can sell their early placement, just as they can sell their lot, their moondial, their hearth of britannia cabinet or their imp or their overland town. People speculating on rewards and the game has probably accounted for a good bit of the funds that Portalarium has received.

And ultimately these people can still claim their lot, and once everyone is allowed to move around again a half year later - they will sell them then.

I like the carrot approach from Spoon - avoid the rush, get a carrot. Or whatever.

Edit - I think posting and worrying about it makes it more likely to happen. Everyone who reads these threads says - Hmm, I was settling in a POT but maybe I can make some money before I do so?

Retlaw, Sara Dreygon, Womby and 8 others like this.
  11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye that's a good idea too Baron has. Maybe you'd only get the item after your lots have been placed. Like say you are Lord and place your town lot, then at the add on stage place your row, if both were placed on the lot appropriate to your deed at the end of selection you'd get the item. If you just have one deed in your pledge(for those without a second lot in their pledge) placed on your appropriate lot type, then at the end of lot selection you'd receive the item.

Meaning at this time you'd receive your item if your lots were placed on the lot your deed is.

"Lot selection for a group continues from their start time until the start of Release 33 on August 25, 2016, 10:30 CDT when we will begin selling lots inside the game and allowing those to be placed."

A thought.... on a side note. Maybe we can all get a "I survived the land rush of 2016" T-shirt (In game t-shirt that is) LOL

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  12. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

These proposals are unfortunately a case of the fix being worse than the problem. Realistically no one is going to be happy with the land rush. The rules have been laid out and planning has been done. To change the rules now would also negatively impact many who planned for this scenario.

Lots of good ideas and points made in this thread. I believe the Rubicon has been crossed and no going back. Purchase some cheese now because epic whining is sure to come.

Put on your big boy britches people and man or panties and woman up. At least we will all be pissed off in one united cryfest.

Just to note, I brought this issue up well over a year ago, and was shot down. Since then I have upgraded my pledges substantially to place appropriately.

Aldo, Womby, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

I'm actually very happy with it. I think it's cool and fun.

And I thought that before I ever pledged anything.

4EverLost and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Lets see how you feel after the fact. I hope your pleasure persists.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Oh? This seems like a fun exercise.
    :D
    How could adding a trinket for forfeiting make things worse?

16. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Several ways, and It does pain me to disagree with you, seriously not sarcastically.

First, the most obvious is additional developer time spent on the trinket implementation.

Second, if the trinket is too special everyone else not receiving will be angry. If not special no one will select the trinket. What do you propose and the trinket would have to adjust "value" based upon the pledge forsaken.

Third, exploitation. No need to be specific but gamers will be gamers and likely find a way to get the trinket and prime lot placement to sell later.

Forth, time has run out the plan is "official" now. This should have been addressed earlier in the development cycle.

Great idea but again proposed solution worse than the problem.

Leostorm, Ice Queen and 4EverLost like this.
  17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Some good ideas here i believe, i have faith something will be found that will keep all happy.

4EverLost and Ice Queen like this.
  18. Womby

Womby Avatar

Shared misery draws people together and helps form communities. The land rush could create a lasting bond between those who survive - or spawn lifelong resentment from those who fail to act at the appropriate millisecond. Many a tale will be told of waiting in single player to click on a sign, only to be beaten by someone's carefully crafted macro. Sales of mead will surely rise as unlucky avatars seek solace in the local taverns. Some who have already secured a plot will find amusement in observing the unfolding drama as those less fortunate compete for the remaining scraps.

It will be truly memorable.

Sara Dreygon and 4EverLost like this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes shared misery that pushes people away as well...I guess at the end of the day we will see how this plays out but I am willing to bet it gets a lot of negative press. Something I think the devs should be aware of.

20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Well, many MMOs have done land rushes, and this one is unique in that there will still be plenty of land left over (unlimited/infinte) for them to divvy out gradually to players who don't want to spend real cash. Sounds like a better system than others that have done it in the past to me.

Duke Gréagóir and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.