I need help understanding the regional economy theme.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jace3, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

That part is still WIP, possibly when they start working on the map more and add stuff like encounters - not the stuff we have right now.

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I don't see regional economies working as intended until later episodes and more continents open up. Right now I find it too easy to walk anywhere to get what resources I want. I just don't encumber myself to the point where I can't move at a decent rate. It only takes a couple of minutes to cross Novia. But wait until more continents open up with resources only found on them... well now you are talking about regional econs... Novia is too small really for decent regional econs IMHO.

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Do it. Big red dot.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Perhaps I just misread then. And I'm usually so particular about not reading into what people say too. :p

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I disagree.
    As @Katrina Bekers already pointed out: whole play Styles depend on it.
    If you can teleport from everywhere to everywhere a regional economy just won't develop. And why should it?
    People will just teleport from farming directly into the big hubs to feed the vendors and teleport back to farming.
    Dunno about you Bud' but to me that doesn't Sound very regional.

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If they keep SotA a single character per account I'm not sure how networked banks would be an issue. Well, maybe PvP with loot.

With multiple characters that share a bank then networked banks is no good. Plant a mule character in key locations and you could transport goods without having to deal with travel.

7. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

I haven't read all of the thread, but it sounds like the economy will be Eve Online like, which I think is generally a good thing. Yes you have to put more time into your economic efforts, its not as simple as bringing up a global auction house. But it can be very satisfying. I guarantee you there will be transport guilds that charge to move goods too.

8. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

After seeing the recent prices on vendors in Owl's Head last night, I think a Regional Economy would be a great idea. So much overpriced things, but to visit other towns and see much lower prices, this regional thing is a great idea.

9. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I am trying to stay open minded until we can see with out the vail, However, I would be very careful about making the game hard on purpose, isolating people and forcing an economy. The number one rule in capitalism is incentive.

10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Some of those fun-killing annoyances are what make the game fun to some of us. And that is what we were sold on. Travel has more meaning and is more exciting when it is difficult. SOTA was specifically sold with the idea of getting back to some of the more "hardcore" aspects of RPGs without all the insta travel and spoon fed content.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

On the spectrum of FUN, there is a vast chasm between "difficult (in the context of challenging)" and "slow, repetitive and annoying". SOTA has virtually none of the former, and way too much of the latter.

Also, if you want "difficult" travel, have at it. Meanwhile I don't. Don't force me into your playstyle just because you happen to enjoy the endless loading screens, cooldowns, empty random encounters, and witless control points that constitute "travel" in SOTA.

12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

And when travel becomes exciting and difficult and not just extremely frustrating I'll agree with you on this. I still haven't placed my home in Lux Sanctuary because it is randomly gated with one of the harder control points and I don't feel like turning into a ghost every time I want to go home.

Later releases when we have different continents? Yeah, regional economy will make sense and travel will be meaningful (hopefully). Current design? I'm not seeing it yet.

Also, for later continents... I feel very sorry for them having no access to any of the current magical gems, metal types, or resources that Novia has... 8^p

13. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

In that case, why have any world or any travel? Let's just pick a scene from a drop down menu and login there. mayve I don't like grinding. So let me start with a max skilled character in the skills of my choice. Don't force me into your play style. Right?

No ones forcing you into a play style. You have chosen to be here. It was always known what type of game this would be. There are plenty that cater to the insta-action you want.

jem3299 and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  14. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Thought on this last night and realized, instead of herding the masses, why not just scale down the resources or a key resource that is both rare and light. I think this is the attempt with coal.

15. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Just because you disagree with it doesnt make it misguided @Budner. Your statements as well as @Moiseyev Trueden 's statements above of what you dont like it are largely because the game isnt properly balanced yet as it isnt complete. As far as the difficulty of getting through control points.... I agree that the pass there is harder, but i just dont buy people's equation that the control points mean instant death. I've gone through every control point in the game as a new player with no skills or gear. You just have to be careful and sneak through it.

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I agree. I'm hoping they actually balance it and make it fun. Currently, there isn't much fun to be had with control points. I'm sure there is a way to sneak around the one gating GGM and Lux, but I have repeatedly been one shot there. Not worth the time to find out how to sneak with the ever increasing rez timer... When I can survive more than one hit there I'll try it again.

Budner likes this.
  17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I hope someday MY DONKEY or MULE will be able to transport my goods to my hometown bank ..... because us light armor peeps can carry only so much. Everything weighs something, even my wee lil arrows, which I think still weighs too much.

18. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION..... I hate having to fight my way thru them every time I need to get pass there to the other side. If that's what you like good for u, but don't force me too, give me a safe rte across the CP's if that's what I want....

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My experience with UO on Lake Superior and Lake Austin shards was only the vendor houses by moongates were heavily visited. No one really visited out of the place vendors.

Some out of the place vendors placed runes at these moongates hoping to get traffic. Mostly it failed. It was a once in a lifetime visit to see if they had something I wanted for cheap gold. If not, I never went back and reused the rune for something more important.

Also, selling directly at the West Britain Bank was a good way to sell items.

The whole global economy never was.

20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

As a toon who doesnt fight much, i can run through all cps just fine. Sometimes I'm dumb, and get hit too mamy times, or stop to look at something and die because i forget to heal... But by then I'm close to the ankh where im headed.

Fister Magee and Jarl Atogrim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.