This is why Gold Farmers HATE Obsidian Crowns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Moral Land Mines~
    Nike made a bundle on what some countries would call child labor, yet we all have seen their shoes selling quite well...
    I'm not one to say we need some policing of anyone, because it is "very legal" in many countries, and to attempt to impose laws from our home countries, is a very far fetched and unreasonable outstretch of our police states.

Morals are all up to the individual and Nike did distance themselves from the privet contractors they were using that had such practices, but who knows, maybe they still are connected to it.

~What Would These Kids Be Doing Anyway?~
    Probably at home playing video games if they had them... "But such things have an insidious nature to them" which then grows into something that is not a healthy thing to be doing...

There are many of our early backers who invested in many accounts for later selling on the open market, which I might add probably will have increased in value more than most Dow Jones Stocks.

~Profits More to the Company and Less to the Outsiders~
    And that's what my views I hope convey my fondest welcoming of our COTA 's into our Add-On Store :D
    Facts are facts, even when they are very ugly ones...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

nonaware likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I do realize that it will never be stopped completely. I also realize that when it comes to SOTA the money is in the items trade (especially lot deeds after final wipe). I also think that the hacked account market is going to be a huge issue if we don't get some form of multi-factor authentication soon. @DarkStarr @Berek

Yes of course bots are a bigger threat than individual players. But the reason I care about individuals too is that I want a working player run economy, and I don't want people to spread lies about Obsidian Crowns like "gold farmers will love it!" I think that's disruptive to the community and is an attempt to undermine the business model of Portalarium.

mbomber, Ristra, Sea Bear and 4 others like this.
  3. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Avoiding taxes on income is a crime in almost every country. As a person who pays his taxes, you bet I'm going to do it. Besides, they are ruining their own lives by their actions. I'm just the facilitator. Place the blame where it belongs.

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Having game plagued with Golder farmers/sellers can potentially ruin the fun depending on how the game is designed. SotA is probably not gonna be too bad consider we now have COTOs along with zone instancing, and multiple play modes. While these guys can inject tons of gold into circulation and drive up the price, but non-seller power gamers can also do the same. But at least there are ways for regular legitimate or casual players to continue playing the game without being harassed by gangs of gold farmers and their guards.

My point is there are many other things (e.g. camera controls, performance, crashes, combat/crafting re-balances) that could ruin the fun before the gold farmers/sellers will even become an issue. We should not get too distracted away from those.

Like IRL issues, we have radiation leakage from nuclear power plant, oil spill in the gulf coast, but nobody cares because people are now more concern about who get to use which restroom.

5. Drocis the Devious

If people can buy deeds and items for cash, I don't have a problem with them selling gold for cash. However, the massive quantities of gold people farm and then sell are usually from exploits and from hacked accounts that have been chopped up into pieces like a stolen car. So whenever someone commits an exploit or is connected to selling a stolen account, I have no problem with them being banned forever.

mbomber, Ristra and Time Lord like this.
  6. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

Will you also report people making profit by selling their pledge ?

7. Drocis the Devious

:)

Of course. Just a like a stolen car can be resold for half the cost.

The point I'm making is not that Obsidian Crowns can't or won't be sold. They will. But they won't be sold because a gold merchant went to Portalarium and bought them from the store directly. That would cause them to go broke! Obsidian Crowns, items, pledge deeds, and in-game gold are going to be sold because the gold merchants OBTAINED them one way or another at a very low price. In most cases for a game like SOTA it will be through hacked accounts.

#WhyNoMFA?

mbomber, Ristra and Pickley like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Your really going to hate me :p

I don't mind tax.........my life is amazing :)

9. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

yes yes herr kristof... its our moral obligation to ensure everyone is following thier respective countries/territioies rules laws and social norms.

read the big long chain of words in the marketplace then make sure to go down the thead list person by person and report each one of them.

mbomber and warxnox like this.
  10. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Well some may be in for a big surprise because in a few countries that is considered gambling.

What people don't seem to realize is that governments are starting to (very quickly) catch up on virtual currency and goods. Maybe if players pulled their noses off their screens and read the news once in a while, they would know this. Ignorance does not absolve one from responsibility.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I for One Don't~:)
    Because this is where that outside market place should be moving towards...
    Want to sponsor a Kickstarted Game? Oh Yeah! and thus should then be providing the new gaming companies a way of selling their stock that funds their game. Such markets are gambles, while the outer gold farm markets are not, "they're just leaches", leaching off funds that could have meant more profit to the company that built them for us to enjoy.

I think it's a very healthy thing for our Kickstarter markets... :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Will do! Didn't really need your permission, but thanks anyway.

13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This sort of thing happens in Star Citizen. Depending on the global currencies a player can deal in and what sort of taxes they may or may not incur - people can buy direct from the add-on store at cost and flip in a player market at cost (but in a different currency) and make a tidy profit.

Canadians are famous for flipping currencies when the exchange rate is right... USA - with taxes as they are probably not a good investment, European countries - depends on VAT - some games charge, some don't... those that don't create a candy store for people that pay with Euros and sell in USD (again, the exchange rates), etc... it's a real market and not just in games.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

I guess people could farm gold, then use the gold to buy COTOs in-game, then sell those COTOs for a nice steady $0.80 each. I'm not sure of the advantage over just selling the farmed gold directly. Which brings us back to gold farming, and the ability to sell COTOs in-game. Tab targeting is a great boon to bots, and its presence will cause problems. Shift click does the same job without making it easy for botters. I'm sad that they felt it necessary to re-introduce tab targeting via the G key. As for selling COTOs in-game, I can see this as a way to earn them through grinding - thus negating the P2W accusations, which otherwise would have some legitimacy due to their extreme rarity.

15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

yes account security is very important and with the amount of money that some people have invested it truly does need to have two stages.

personally i like entropia universes gold card and reader but to each thier own.

its something that does need to be looked at.

16. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

If you sell for a big profit, you better.

Since 2014, virtual goods owned by people in the U.S. is considered property. When you sell property, you need to claim it.

Also, the IRS recently classified virtual currency as property, not currency. That has different tax implications.

Like I said, the world is catching up. The party is almost over.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Maybe Port should limit the number of coins that can be in-game at any one time. If people are using them and not hoarding them that shouldn't be an issue.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~When Anything is Selling for Double it's Value~
    That's a win, win for both parties involved, "including any government"...
    Such "stocks" in our virtual reality are more like "penny stocks", as they are more of a gamble similar to capital investment firms.
    "The world's stock markets are gambling dens"... nothing really changes...
    Like you said, where theirs profit, there's taxes... but I don't see any long arm of the law coming after yard sales in the USA.
    If they can collect taxes enough to justify the agent's pay check, then it becomes a target ;)
    But most taxes are extremely cheap... yet import taxes where I am can be as much as 60% :eek: Yikes!
    ~Time Lord~:)

Leelu and kristof like this.
  19. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Yes it is a win-win also for any government, as long as the person profiting is paying their taxes.

As for yard sales, if you sell a car in a yard sale, you can bet the IRS will come a knockin' ;-)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You aren't from the EU, are you?
    Internet law is the new big unknown here. In big parts at least.
    Which is sad but hey, politicans. What did I expect.

mbomber and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.