This is why Gold Farmers HATE Obsidian Crowns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Yeah, because that wouldn't drive their prices up. #sarcasm

I'm waiting for Ports views on this in the upcoming hangout. They control the price in the add-on store. They control the number of drops. They control armor decay and mats, mobs, nodes, everything... They control NPC pricing. Although, if NPC prices are a derivative of player exchanges then this will absolutely be a loopy ride.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The problem there would be two fold.

1. It would limit Portalarium Revenue. (We can stop here and not go on to #2 because this out weighs anything else I could say)
    2. It would actually make it easier for gold farmers to sell the crowns because once they're limited the price that the NPC's buy them for becomes irrelevant. So now you have a situation where Obsidian Crowns can be whatever people are willing to pay for them. The lot deeds will work like this for episode I. I know it doesn't seem like it right now because people aren't exactly jumping to buy up all the lots in the add-on store. But if Portalarium is serious about limited housing and I believe they are, then who knows how much those deeds will be worth if we have a healthy player population. And THAT's what a lot of professional gold merchants will move towards. They won't be selling Obsidian Crowns, they'll be selling stuff that Portalarium can't undercut the price on.

mbomber, Ristra and Time Lord like this.
  3. Albert Baumhauer

Albert Baumhauer Avatar

Do you really think that this is appropriate in a civilized community?

4. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

If willing to report gold sellers/profit makers in this game to tax authorities and praying to "make their IRL life miserable" is what you call a "civilized community" I think it is appropriate.

If not please community managers feel free to ban my account thus I no longer will lose my time here !

mbomber likes this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Report gold sellers to tax authorities for what?

You have no idea what that individuals tax circumstances are, what the law is or anything. Seriously some people need to grow up.

Snikorts, mbomber and Time Lord like this.
  6. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

That's how it works in RL. Governments don't generally print and distribute additional money just because there is a demand for it.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

We are far past a civilized Community since a couple of month already.
    At the moment we are itchy, trigger happy and a bunch of know-it-alls.
    A normal discussion is seldomly possible at all.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

They are doing that since several years already. The US at the fore Front and the EU right behind.

mbomber likes this.
  9. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Report...report...report...after that I don't care what happens. My only concern is that people pay their taxes on their income, which I doubt many gold sellers are.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well I don't think that concern has any place on these forums quite frankly.

Furthermore for a completely random person from somewhere in the world basically to threaten to actively harass people who sell items is quite concerning. I say harass given you know nothing about the person or finances let alone the tax rules of the country where they live.

mbomber, Dantuin, Womby and 4 others like this.
  11. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

You mean "quantitative easing" and they're only doing it to improve the stock market. What they don't realize is that it's going to come back and bite the rest of us with higher costs on everything in the very near future.

Just read this recently and I think it's a good, simple, explanation.

Wouldn’t We All Be Wealthier If We Printed More Money?

If we print more money, prices will rise such that we’re no better off than we were before. To see why, we’ll suppose this isn’t true, and that prices will not increase much when we drastically increase the money supply. Consider the case of the United States.

Let’s suppose the United States decides to increase the money supply by mailing every man, woman, and child an envelope full of money. What would people do with that money? Some of that money will be saved, some might go toward paying off debt like mortgages and credit cards but most of it will be spent. I know the first thing I’d do is go down to the store and buy a bunch of things I don't really need. I’m not going to be the only one who runs out to buy these things. This presents a problem for the store. Do they keep their prices the same and not have enough products to sell to everyone who wants one, or do they raise their prices?

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  12. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Sell gold.

And if you're selling gold in SotA, it concerns me greatly and the forums are a great place to express that.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You tell me. I studied that **** and what they are doing for years now is pretty creepy in my opinion.

mbomber likes this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Suggest you go troll the marketplace

mbomber, Sean Silverfoot and Leelu like this.
  15. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

It is creepy.

Now to tie this back to SotA.

The main problem with gold sellers is that they introduce items/currency/whatever into the game at a much higher rate than intended by the game developer. They use a large number of people to farm a game and that doesn't happen with normal gameplay. This destroys the economy and ruins the game for everyone.

16. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

I suggest you not tell me what I can and cannot do.

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think all this talk is irrelevant. SOTA is not looking to be released with a million players. In fact, I would bet we end up with 100,000 hard core players for eternity who have already invested a lot of money. There is no profit motive in a smaller game like this for "factory farmers". It may be like it was during early UO when I would sell my extra gold here and there on ebay for $100.

Factory farmers go after Wow with millions of people. I was on one of the first PvP servers "Warsong" and these guys got so bad it wrecked the game. They owned every spawn location with a dozen people in both alliances and would kill anyone who showed up.

I actually started having fun in PvP purposely attacking (ganking with my Rogue) factory farmers like this in spawn locations, My little fight against them.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I can see the gold farmers crafting a ton of items and flooding the market place with them. I'm not sure how profitable that would be though. I think the regional banking system might slow this down some. There's also (eventually) going to be quite a bit of nuance in the crafting system that will require some specialized (actual) skills on the part of the player that I'm not sure the average gold farming drone is going to have or want to develop in a game this size.

Ristra likes this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

LOL

mbomber and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  20. Birko

Birko Avatar

Godwin's Law !

Katrina Bekers, kristof and warxnox like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.