Ur first GM skill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajacied1987, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

What skill did u GM or gonna GM first :)?

I did base ranged combat first.

Krohon and Time Lord like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Ice Arrow

Krohon, Ajacied1987 and Time Lord like this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

swift gathering - mining

Krohon, Ajacied1987 and Time Lord like this.
  4. agra

agra Avatar

As of AdventurerLevel 55, I see no reason to ever take any skill, glyph or innate above 75. Mathematically, given how much more XP is pulled from the pool from 75+, and the incredibly small gains in effectiveness/damage/duration/power, until all the power curves are adjusted, I don't think I'll ever be convinced it's worth the time or effort.

(I have no intention nor see any value in GM'ing anything.. ?) /shrug

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I have all active skills stuffed into my deck and just mash buttons as fast as I can. So whichever skill RNG picks for me.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't even have any skills at 80 yet.

7. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

pretty much this...the time sink needed to raise a skill above that level is a downer for me. So...I got blades at that (75), working on magic right now and then...no clue, lets see.

But that allright...no hurry...if the devs want me to get hundreds of thousands of xp without ever showing me where and how and giving me no quests that would allow me to make that xp without grinding something repetetive like bandits, undeads spiders or whatever...arf...no..dont worry...other games are demanding my time.

No...no..I'm not lazy...and I like showing commitment. But there is no quest that I know of that I could repeat to give a little xp besides doing quests and I did all quests in my starter area (for awesome 16k xp in resolute...wow...thanks !). So...I kill stuff...and kill stuff...and kill stuff...and log out...and play something else. The only thing keeping me in SotA right now is a buddy and the fact that the game is so slow paced that I spend my evenings on the phone while playing...not the game itself.

All that is imho and reflecting my view on the progress of skills/characters from my casual after work perspective. I dont demand to change or alter the game or anything...just...about how motivating it is for me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  8. Almar

Almar Avatar

How do you find your adventurer level? I've seen a few people mention it, but all I see are XP pools and skills gains - I'm a bit confused (again)

Cally, Ajacied1987 and Time Lord like this.
  9. Warin

Warin Avatar

type /stats and then find you chat log file in the documents folder. It's a big hazzle >_<
    default path:
    C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\ChatLogs

You can also use Umuri's Hud to do the same thing, and other stuff

10. Almar

Almar Avatar

Thanks - that sounded promising, I installed the Hud, but getting I'm a log file not found error - which was my problem in the first place :rolleyes:

Ajacied1987 and Time Lord like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I haven't GM'd a single skill yet, ever in any release. It would be nice to change that someday. :)

What's the most GM's someone could have at this point?

Can other players still see if you GM'd? I haven't seen anyone with a GM this release.

Ajacied1987 and Time Lord like this.
  12. Lord Woengus

Lord Woengus Avatar

Collar recovery - Taming

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

When you hit 100 you gain the ability to accelerate party member gains

14. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

It is probably going to be meticulous gathering mining. Although I'm in the 90's for blade mastery and several taming skills. I really want to see the patch notes for R33 before I commit to leveling either further. So right now I'm just pooling adventure xp. Working the mines trying to get meticulous up

Cally and Time Lord like this.
  15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Hmm... Mixed messages here. If people are already GMing skills within a a few weeks of persistence, that would seem to contradict the notion that it is so difficult that it's not even worth the bother. *Confused*

16. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Actually you only speed up party member xp spends, which effectively means that unless they are sitting on a very large pool, no real benefit.

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im adv 64:

I took blunt up to GM, took about a week after wipe (blunt is easy to raise)

I've raised my key core skills to 80 and my secondary skills to 60.

So now I am working on deflection GM which just hit 91 (deflection is easy to raise). It only took 2 hours of my usual grin to get it from 80 to 85 and then another 2ish hours to get 85 to 90. Nothing to harsh there considering Im usually grinding for gold also.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. agra

agra Avatar

I would say there's two possibilities.
    early bugs/exploits (intentional or not)
    extraordinary playtime/grinding

During the first few days, there were some pretty incredible exploits that permitted some extraordinary increases in skills. In particular, there were some crafting bugs that let you increase crafting without consuming fuel or components. So, if you had the pool, you could GM whatever you wanted of those skills. Same goes with any active glyph or innate. If you get your pool large enough, you can get a skill to GM extremely quickly.

So, likely, given this has happened in every release thus far, there were a few repeatable quests people used to get their pool to 1-2M XP and then went out and GM'd a weapon skill on a gustball. (not referring to you or anyone else in this thread, starman, I'm just talking hypothetically)
    Personally, I think anyone that did that should have their XP & skills gained removed, but that's not how they've chosen to enforce their TOS/EULA at this time. /shrug
    The core design of shroud around this concept: "the larger your pool, the larger your gains per use" will always be a bit of an achilles heel when it comes to advancement.

Now, those players that have played 10+ hours per day since July 28th have put in (potentially) 200 hours of effort. That should be rewarded, given the game is only supposed to have 100 hours of quests/content.
    The sad reality, currently, is that grinding the highest xp/kill mobs is the fastest way to advancement, and realistically, the only way to reach the "120-150 is the new GM" expectations of the developers.

Put simply, when the requirement is MILLIONS of xp, and mobs give 1000-2000 each, it's pretty easy to see why people are taking advantage as quickly as possible before things are nerfed even harder.

Jaanelle DeJure, Time Lord and helm like this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think you may need to lookat your stats again or what you are farming. If I locked at 75, all my skills now would be at 75 and I would have a massive pool growing huge by now.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Again, I think you need to look at your stats again. I hit GM blunt in a week, working 50 hours a week at a job and manually hammering stuff (with well my hammer), each and every one starting in one skull areas and moving up to the 4 skull area I farm now. I spent a lot of time the first weekend playing.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.