What exactly does the "Claim Rewards" button do?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Spiderhawk, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiderhawk

Spiderhawk Avatar

I am an original backer and played around in many of the early releases but haven't played in any recent release.

I saw that there is a lot deed raffle occurring in this release and created a character and found a bank so I could collect my raffle tickets.

The text on the Claim Rewards dialog got me wondering what the effects of pushing the claim button would be so I canceled out and decided to ask here first.

The full text is "Do you wish to claim all rewards and add-ons associated with your account? This will mark them as redeemed on the website."

It was the statement that got me wondering. I'm assuming until I hit that claim button I have some ability to change what add-ons I currently have. I am fine doing that as I don't want to change any add-ons that I have currently purchased.

Since by pushing the claim button there seems to be some things I won't be able to change, I am wondering what happens if I delete this character? Are any or all of the items tied to this particular character or can I delete any character I wish knowing that when a new character is created I receive all of the add-on items back?

Also, is there any difference if I do it in Single Player Online mode versus Multiplayer Online?

Thanks for any help.

firesparx, Mata, Acred and 2 others like this.
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome back! Lots has changed since you were last in game, and much more is slated to change as the game is still deep in development.

Excellent, good luck on the raffle! And if you're not a current land owner, there's a program to give you a free raffle ticket as well.

Cancelled out? Well, basically all rewards you've accumulated through your various add-on store purchases and pledges etc will be claimed and placed into your bank as a GLOBAL item. Meaning, until it is initially withdrawn, you can then pull it into your inventory from any bank in the world. I advise pulling the heavier items like castle walls etc out closer to their destination where you plan to use them :p

Basically once claimed, when you go to your profile on the site, go to add-ons to see your current items owned, once claimed, they'll all change there to reflect that :)

If you're fine, then go for it! Have fun with what you've earned. The fact that they're initially GLOBAL, you can then look over your items (carefully, don't pull them out of the bank or you'll lose the global status, so only do so when you are truly ready for the item) and see what's in store for you ;) If you're curious, check your profile on the site first to see if anything can be altered, but I think melting down might be a thing of the past -- check to be sure (but since you're happy with what you have, perhaps this isn't a concern).

If you delete your character, I am uncertain since I have not tested this or heard about it. I'll let someone else comment upon this nuance. I would guess your bank would remain intact but you'd lose anything currently on your inventory, but hey perhaps that stuff will plop into your bank too. Not sure.

The difference is in single player online, you can level your multi-player character but in a quiet, private fashion. Nobody will be stealing your nodes when running around gathering :p BUT, you can still whisper people, even group with people for group chat, and still use guild chat ;)

Hope this helps!
    Have fun and welcome back Avatar!

firesparx, Mata, Acred and 2 others like this.
  3. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Spiderhawk!

firesparx likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Also a specific example: one of the Artisan tier rewards is a Supply Cache. DON'T OPEN UNTIL READY. Since that supply cache weighs a huge amount and is a lot of objects, which goes into your inventory. So if one isn't ready to stand there and test out crafting and have an idea of what to do with the end products you are in the deep end. Since it is too many objects to put back into the bank.

I've deleted an avatar a number of times. Everything remains that are in the Bank storage, any claimed land, built housing and that which is account based (like guild and friends). Everything in your Inventory and on your character including skills and xp is lost.
    So your pledge rewards will be fine as long as you remember to put them into your Bank storage.

So if you would want to delete your avatar later on then first
    1. Make sure you have enough Bank storage (extra slots can be purchased with in game gold)
    2. Buy items for all your gold, since gold can't be put into the Bank storage (yes, I know)
    3. Place everything in your Inventory ('i'-key) and paperdoll ('c'-key) in Bank storage (or in a housing container), including all clothing (yes, naked in the bank, I know)
    4. Remember to un-equip all tools and put into bank as well.
    5. Think about it one more time
    6. Like are you really really sure?
    7. Delete the avatar
    Once you create your new one all Bank items will be there (and claimed land/housing).

BUT
    there is usually NO good reason to do that (except for us who like to beta-test stuff, like re-doing the same quests over and over).
    • If you don't like your skills, then since the Skill system is Used Based - so you simply stop using the old skills and start using the new ones
    • If you don't like your name, then you can request a name-change by contacting support
      https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/voluntary-name-change-requests.67106/
    • If you don't like your looks, then you can go to a "new-you" store and pay 5 Crowns (can be traded for in game) and simply remake your looks without loss.
    • Later on when the game launches there will be a 1-time "quest reset" option so that if you got through not-quite-ready quests and want to do them over when they are nicer then one can do so.
    All ONLINE modes share the same server and database. So you can switch back and forth between Single/Friends/Multi as much as you like and there is no difference in progress etc.
    For instance I could be crafting in Single player Online and put the AwesomeSmitingSword on my vendor. Then you in Friends Online can look at the sword and go, ah, and run away to sell some stuff to get gold, but while someone in Multiplayer Online runs by and purchases the sword right under your nose.
    Same thing with housing - you could be in Friends Online and adding some decoration to your house, that is instantly added to the instance, and everyone regardless of mode will see the change -right away- so I run past by your house in Multiplayer Online and see your furniture and stuff appear and move around without seeing you.

The only mode which is different is Single Player Offline - where you have no contact with the server and thus can have save games and whatnots.

Oh, and Welcome.

EDIT:
    tl;dr
    Pressing the Claim Rewards button is harmless if you are happy with your current purchases.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    smack, Katrina Bekers, Mata and 5 others like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Gold should have weight and be bankable.

6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Love this answer @Spoon , I'm putting this on SotAHelp as an FAQ!

firesparx, Moiseyev Trueden and Spoon like this.
  7. Spiderhawk

Spiderhawk Avatar

Thank you all for the welcomes as well as the detailed information.

Since I didn't hit the Claim Rewards button yet I will delete the existing character. I didn't take long to create this character and didn't look at all the customization options available. I also grabbed a name somewhat out of the air.

I will then take the time to create and name the character the right way and not rush as I did before.

Then it will be off to the bank to claim the rewards but I will leave them in the bank for the time being.

Now I know what to expect when I do this.

Thanks again for the help. :)

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Argh. Forgot a big one - the tools. Editing now.

firesparx likes this.
  9. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game!! :)

Mata likes this.
  10. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Hey @Spiderhawk

Enjoy the game with your new found goodies! :)

Mata likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.