Melee ~ Long road to no where

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Aggro isnt the issue with the current melee issue. Mitigation is. The base damage magic and melee both do is close to equal without mitigation. And its being worked on. If you dont believe me thats cool, but i wouldnt play a build i didnt like just because it made the game easier.

Aggro is a different issue

Pikegirl and Senjut like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Your skill with the weapon is a big factor in hit chance

I dual wield daggers and kill most things in a matter of second without any magic or buffs

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Mitigation is the issue. Magic has almost nothing mitigating it while melee is mitigated around every corner, and is also reliant on skill level for hit chance. This is about to start changing. I wouldnt reccommend changing to magic if you enjoy hand to hand combat as you will soon be dissapointed

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I wouldnt be suprised either. But the first "nerfs" are not likely going to be a nerf, but something else

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

A friendly hint, currently the "set bonus" for armor type is a placeholder. I would recommend skilling in the armor type you feel you would enjoy most for your playstyle rather than follow the crowds

EDIT: sorry for all the individual responses, i was on my phone and its super hard to quote stuff. Also because people who change their builds jsut to be powerful while the game is beign balanced are continually dissapointed when a new release comes out, so im trying to warn yall. Its about to change.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  6. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I have absolutely no problem killing things with melee, even with just auto attack. The key to trolls is to jump when they do. I gm'd all 3 melee schools polearms is weak. 2hsword is pretty strong.

My issue is defense against anything that is yellow at al80. Even with great chainmail,every buff I can find and heals I just can't stay in a fight long against 3 ranged npcs doing 50-100 damage a shot. (Especially when they each have 1000hp)

FrostII and Aldo like this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

+1. This is my main issue too. Melee is borked against multiple NPC archers. I know that the situation can be managed, as I regularly clear out Liche hill in Deep Ravenswood. The fight however is not fun, as I spend as much time running backwards for cover as my full plate stops no arrow ever. I don't know what the answer is and don't ask anymore.

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

you have a farm spot with npc's that have 1K hp? I farm 5 skull cultists and they have 600. Id love to find a bit harder area with more exp. where you do this at?

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I am hoping with them looking into the hit/miss issue, thatll make it a little mroe balanced since the update.
    Numbers were ran when it came to crit % being broken, and thats a big chunk of missing dmg for a lot of melee and ranged players.

Mages wernt touched yet, but i imagine they are looking into these issues pretty hard because of the big rift. And the sheer amount of archers / melee guys switching to pure mage. Guess we will see.

10. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

For those of us that do not have 3 GM'ed melee schools and not soloing in areas with 1000hp mobs, there is an issue.

Jumping when Trolls jump does not work, or is a lag issue, I still get knocked down.
    If you have a video link of this technique I would love to see what I am doing wrong.
    There is no cool down time on a Trolls knockdown and it can be triggered again before the player even stands up.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

IMHO I think the games entire random number generator is having issues.
    Fizzles, melee hit/miss, crafting, gathering % all seem to have strange anomalies.
    The RNG is such a core game mechanic.
    I would suspect we have all experienced this issue.

FrostII and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  12. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Farm no, since i cant even clear the first room of them since most of them spawn ranged (their melee versions are getting drunk with me at the bar about how harmless we are), but brittany sewers, go in not that far (mobs for awhile are lower level) and you will find a room with at least 3 elite skeletons

or clear a few waves at the east reach control point and you'll have several show up

or go into the rise.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Shadowplay doesnt work, but I'll try to see if I can trick it.

Yes if you get knocked down you might get hit again, but it does work.

14. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

The next few major patches address the issue of resistances and state they will be adding them to enchanting and Mastercrafting.

If all the mobs suddenly have these resistances added to them, spell damage could easily fall by a third to half.

I personally think it would be a good change.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

hopefully they then allow more enchants and such per items since the bonus's are getting diluted.

my stats are currently like

1st 90%
    2nd 66%
    3rd 33%

But that might get me +2 str / +2 dex / +2 int

If they dilute them further then it should go something like:

1st 95%
    2nd 70%
    3rd 50%
    4th 35%

So that I may get something like +2str / +5 resist Earth / +2 int / +5 earth.

But as we already know, the odds are already generally terrible and even then you can get an enchant choice you dont want (actually, you usually get that).

16. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

I think on a fundamental level, magic is power. Will the people of Wizards Rest agree to that statement? :D

17. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Seriously, what is with this?
    I am almost 80 in pole arms and miss at least 75% of the time irregardless of the color of my target.
    Post persistence progress
    • Started out as a heavy armour 2-h polearms pure melee
    • Hit a wall in progression due to lack of damage mitigation with full crafted plate set
    • Switched to crafted leather set to use some higher tier magic glyphs
    • Noticed that damage mitigation is the almost the same but my damage output had greatly increased
    • Was henceforth able to kill groups of 4+ yellows before they could kill me
    • Now considering pure mage
    I am not tied to a pure melee build, but it goes with the RP of the guild of which I am a member. Is there any plan to balance this particular aspect of PvE?

18. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Here you go, still uploading and encoding, but a fairly good run playing it safe.
    he got me twice, both because I was jumping uphill and landed earlier than I would like.

I have Death touch on the bar but I never used it in this fight, just the sword skills. dead in less than 1:30

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    NZguzzi likes this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I can solo a troll right now also with Blunt and heavy armor charge... basically stun lock it to death.

Fister Magee likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i can jump to avoid the trolls stomp pretty easily but there are some kinda desync issues that arise occasionally that make it impossible. I also kill the troll fairly quickly using only daggers and blade skills. It's name is orange.

This seems like an issue with your character as you should not be missing anywhere near 75% of the time, unless your in fact using your skills while not being in range of your target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.