The Open PvP XP Experiment has failed

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by null2, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. null2

null2 Avatar

Dear @DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British,

It was fun while it lasted, but players have found a way to abuse the instancing algorithm so they can create an Open Multiplayer instance in which nobody can join without being in a member of a party of someone who is already there.

This is NOT the same as filling up an instance so nobody can join, it is entirely different. Even with one person in this "private" instance, you will not be able get into it without being in a party with someone else who is in the instance.

This means that they can control who can be in the instance, therefore mitigating all risk of PvP while still being PvP flagged.

In addition, some of the players who are doing this are known PvP/PKers who were listed in the top 5 by @Chris during the telethon. They have gone around PKing groups of players who are trying to grind with PvP flags on. These same players now have created safe spaces for themselves where they cannot be touched by another PvPer (because nobody can get in the instance), but are happy to go around killing people who do not abuse this glitch.

I have already emailed support and messaged Atos about this issue. Let's end this experiment until these instancing issues can be fixed, please.

Sincerely,
    Kor

EDIT:
    I have video evidence of this that I have provided to the developers.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They had to have been aware of this. The 25% is bait and misdirect.

To be able to add a proper reward for PvP they need to 1. tune combat 2. have meaningful PvP.

Doesn't take long for people to stop falling for the bait and misdirect.

3. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm going to take the next hardcore post about the PvP flag with an extra large pinch of salt. That limited loot thing was very necessary after all.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Disabling looting probably would have been more effective than baiting with bonus exp. Why would people hide if they are not lootable?

Xandra7, Numa and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I could be reading it wrong but it just sounds like an exploit that needs to be resolved. Feels a bit extreme to say "The open PvP experiment has failed" because there are a handful of people who have found a workaround and are abusing it.

Feels like this should really be in the bug threads. However by stating that it has already been notified to support it certainly feels like you are trying to generate maximum hysteria by posting what you have posted.........I don't quite see the point.

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Just an issue with a few scenes being setup wrong. Fixed in R37.

Acred, Rada Torment, NRaas and 11 others like this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Disabling loot would just lead to more griefing if ppl dont lose anything. The way they implemented it was right and a compromise I can live with.

Chris fixed the exploit aparently in r37. Crafting exploits at soft launch were way worse.. and noone cares about them anymore.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  8. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Sounds like it is okay to abuse until R37 then.

Fister Magee, Net and x_Selene_x like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Actually, there are plenty of people that care about the exploits that have been used. Most have moved on from complaining about them. Since the only real option to retract the damage is a wipe. But that's not about to happen.

10. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

The title of this thread is hilarious.

11. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is going to sound strange but I'd rather be killed ingame by someone I like and respect. I call it my coffee rule - if you can't imagine having cup of coffee with the other person concerned then don't PvP with them.

RL is already full of people we don't want to deal with but have to. Thankfully, SOTA is nothing like RL. Now excuse me while I get a hot cup of good coffee to wash the bad taste out of my mouth after reading the OP's report.

I just came from Owl's head where there is a fresh batch of newbie skeletons at the scene's entrance. On second thought, I'll make it two cups.

parallelogram likes this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I can respect that. Hehheh.

IMO, make MOBs loot corpses then PvP and PvE would be on more even ground. Then the argument would be about balancing combat. Where it should be.

Numa and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  13. Selene

Selene Avatar

Seems reasonable to halt the xp bonus until this exploit is solved. Either that or the devs should list the zones in question and name it a free for all until R37. In the past it has been "exploit it until it's fixed, but don't tell anybody else" ... Which I think is a really bad idea. Shut it down or spread it around.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Maybe give everyone in OPO the buff. No need to use the exploit.

Xandra7 likes this.
  15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I would rather like they ban the exploiters than shut down game features that just made the game better.

I mean they never shut down the rise even though people exploited... brightbone pass... etcetc. This is nothing new..

16. Selene

Selene Avatar

But if they are NOT treating it like an exploit but still keeping it quiet.... you see my point?

Xandra7, Weins201, Net and 2 others like this.
  17. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Just seems like a bug with scene instances that has nothing at all to do with the PvP experiment. Doesn't seem related to me at all, interesting topic wording..it got me clicking.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

We don't know they didn't report these exploits. This is still testing. People are allowed to push the limits.

19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well apparently it is already fixed.

They just need to ban the people using it and go on. I mean noone shut down Owls Head when crafting was bugged. Now you got lots of gms there...

I find those guilds using that method despicable and they are hurting the game.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So ban everyone that finds flaws in the design. Ban all willing to test. Good plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.