Can COTO purcahses be stolen like other in game purcahses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Says you - I'd call it more lazy than stupid... part of my immersion... staying flagged all the time now - the Oracle can suck it.

3devious, Korim Rackham, Numa and 3 others like this.
  2. Randbo

Randbo Avatar

ahhaha, you must like old school UO before trammel. i did too.
    the only problem is, you are the only one playing it that way.

iansmellios and Duke Avery like this.
  3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Is there something to differentiate the name of the COTO purchased ones vs. add-on store bought ones?

Manerd and Spoon like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am fine with it. It is just another choice to make.

@DarkStarr
    The question I have is that if an item is on the add-on store and via COTOs, can it be taken in game when purchased from the Add-on Store? If so, then the add-on store should be explicit about it because that is 100% not the expectation nor president.

5. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I guess there should be a tool tip saying. "Log off dude, seriously you are buying from a coto merchant in multi, for real dude" ;)

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

If someone is selling an item that's available both from the add-on store and in game with COTOs, is there any way for the buyer to know which it is?

mass, Numa and iansmellios like this.
  7. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

Well there we have it, from @DarkStarr himself. So clearly there is quite the advantage to making the purchase of say Elven armor in the addon store versus with COTOs as the addon store version cant be stolen or ransomed, but the COTO in-game purchased one can. For wearable items an addon store purchase will be a must, but not so much for furniture I suppose.

8. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

just a guess... maybe the one from the Add-Store has no value and the one from in-game has????

VZ_ and Lazlo like this.
  9. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Pretty much. I'm totally fine with this too. Limited time decor is what UO was about. Sota is just sweet to allow us to earn them in game! Make sure to buy them in friends. Honestly, if you loose obsidian items in multiplier while in pvp mode, you need to recheck your game-play. It may feel good to play in multiplayer, but we need to accept the rules.

K1000, Numa and iansmellios like this.
  10. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

shucks.. i just may have to kill somebody <3

Numa likes this.
  11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...if this is the case, I should probably limit the use of COTOs to repairs and purchasing potions o_O Big ticket items (i.e., like houses, etc.) should still be purchased with cash in the add-on store (just to be safe...) :)

Alexander, Numa and Kabalyero like this.
  12. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

You can buy add-on stuff for gold ingame too so it will be hard to separate and you can buy cotos for gold from players...so I its maybe no bug, but players should be warned you can loose those items.
    And it will be hard to separate Cotos bought for money and those bought with gold from other players.

iansmellios likes this.
  13. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

You could just buy a house item in friends mode then place it on your lot. So many people ignore the simple fact to log into friends mode to avoid stealing.

Numa and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...had not thought of that o_O I spend about 90% of my time in Open Play Online mode :rolleyes: ( I like to make new friends :))

Numa likes this.
  15. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I support your game-play style. More people need to follow your path

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  16. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Hmm, the only thing I see against this is that it gives a distinct advantage to personnel who purchase their items with cash over buying COTOs from someone.

If someone wished to have their Elven gear protected, they absolutely must purchase the Elven gear with cash, but someone who plays the game and trades their coin for the COTOs someone else paid cash for doesn't get afforded the same privilege?

It's a clear split in advantage in PVE grinding while PVP when you only worry about lost gear and not winning fights. This effectively forces a player to sell their coin to other players for cash our store credit outside of supported game mechanics to be on an even field. Yet COTOs, I thought, were meant to be a means for players to play the game and purchase add-on store items through other players with in game mechanics.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If it's an in-game COTO (dropped from mob or harvesting) with a value on it other than zero, I would expect it to be lootable. (Note also that they do not stack with zero-value COTOs.)

Protip: spend those first.

Basically, anything with a value on it other than zero would be fair game for PvP looting.

Zero value items are either:
    - pledge rewards / online store items
    - deco items looted in-game from the scenery (but not items looted from sacks/crates/cabinets)
    - really low-price items like arrows

Of the zero-value items, the first would be non-lootable.

COTO vendor items (as I understand it) do not have a value of zero.

Even knowing all this, and without being flagged PvP, I still don't like to carry around deeds, and I like even less to leave them in containers on my lot. They stay in my bank unless I'm planning to use them.

K1000, Numa and Duke Avery like this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The value field will not be zero, and they will not stack with reward/store COTOs. You can see this in the popup tooltip when looking at it on a vendor. Again: Protip: spend those first

Same for any other such item, look at the value, if it's not zero, it's fair game.

If it entered the game via the Claim Rewards button it is safe, and will stay that way when traded/sold to other players. Items purchased from COTO vendors do not come in via the Claim Rewards button.

Moiseyev Trueden and Lazlo like this.
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Good info on the difference in value of COTO drops! I have yet to find a COTO in the wild, but knowing the in game drops carry a value greater than zero - that's good intel.

I can appreciate the caution where dealing with deeds is concerned - I'm a little more cavalier with all my zero gold rated items though. I've carried house and land deeds around forever with no incident; and I've been beaten down and looted plenty. My personal experience has been that carrying a few land deeds makes opportunity land claims an exciting part of exploration... found a lot in Kiln just the other day.

It's that value greater than zero gold that seems to be the constant on what's at risk and what's not. I've only been able to test what I have access to - but all the player reports that I've seen support the zero value threshold as being the deciding factor in determining ransom/lootability for any given item. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this developing standard in knowing what's protected and what's not continues.

Numa likes this.
  20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You can also pull up deeds remotely. I have three tax-free deeds, one for my main row house in Kingsport, and two other village deeds that are placed in PRTs. If I found a really good lot somewhere, I could pull a deed remotely from the U window. Of course the fact that they are tax-free helps a lot for "storing" them placed on a lot. A taxable deed will cost you at least 500 a day to do that.

Duke Avery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.