Grinding in sota

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deiniak, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

In SOTA you grind mob to get XP...
    To raise some skill...
    to be able to grind tougher mobs...
    to get more XP...
    to be able to raise skills higher...
    to grind tougher mobs...
    to get more xp...
    to be able to raise your skills higher...
    to be able to grind more tougher mobs...
    to get even more xp...
    and repeat....

Here's your biggest flaws in the game IMHO, the main mechanic of the game is about grinding and grinding is so F*cking boring here
    THere is no reward

digriz, Kaisa, Scraps MacMutt and 9 others like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

From the Kickstarter campaign of SotA:

"A fantasy role-playing game that will focus more on player choices and discovery than on level grinding."

3. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

Unfortunatly that's not at all what i'm experiencing

4. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

Can you do the path of Love, Path of Courage and path of Truth with ZERO fighting ?? I don't think, so it'S a grinding game

Blackghost likes this.
  5. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I am not really sure what you are looking at,but no where does it say Shroud requires "grinding". You can be in a guild,or not and RP to your hearts desire. You can host events,you can craft and sell or raffle the items off. You can write and create books, @Womby can attest to that, or create sheet music for those without the time or know how,to use to play for people to entertain them at random or events. You can become a decorator, helping those who don't have the time or the eye for detail. You can learn to stack stones and build one off houses,churches, cathedrals for land or town owners. These are only a few choices that I have listed,there are many more. Grinding is not required,it is a choice you make. :)

6. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

From the Kickstarter campaign of SotA:

"A fantasy role-playing game that will focus more on player choices and discovery than on level grinding."

digriz, Salix, syxs and 1 other person like this.
  7. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

Sorry Fred but I play game to entertain myself first. And if that's not the case why would i stay so that other ppl can enjoy the game more...

And btw if you wwant to play a crafter you still have to grind on way or another. To get ressources or gold to buy ressources

Kaisa and Snikorts like this.
  8. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

You can grind for EXP and spend time strategize how to get that next skill to GM. That's how so many games over the last decades have taught us to play.

Try something a little different. Lock all your skills and play for a week or two without checking your EXP. Just don't open the window. Explore the areas off the "perfect path" though the scenes. Wonder though more of the POTs that you run by. Even though they need a lot of work and we need more of them, spend some time questing. Go to some community events. Read some of the books you find. Help a "n00b". Whatever you want as long as you play about the same amount of time, but never check your EXP.

If you still find it to be a "grinding" game with nothing more to offer, well at least have a week or two of EXP in your pool ready for that next GM.

Shade Baneborn, FrostII and Womby like this.
  9. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

You forgot , Run to and fro and back again.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Can you stop doing that in almost every topic? Please? It starts to look obsessive and devalues you otherwise valid opinion down to a personal grudge.

Vladamir Begemot and FrostII like this.
  11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I believe you just describe what a MMORPG is... LOL

Edit:

In <put name of MMORPG here> you grind mob to get XP...
    To raise some skill...
    to be able to grind tougher mobs...
    to get more XP...
    to be able to raise skills higher...
    to grind tougher mobs...
    to get more xp...
    to be able to raise your skills higher...
    to be able to grind more tougher mobs...
    to get even more xp...
    and repeat....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  12. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

I know that all MMORPG are about Xp

It just FEEL boring and repetitive here. Every mob you fight is the same, they act the same, the use the same skill.

Fighting warrior feel the same, they don't use different skill, they dont combine skill, they are the same during the entire scene. (all skelly with shield for exaple, why not mix with other melee school)
    Fighting mage feel the same, they all cast fireball. With so many speel in the game why they all use the same. Plz some mage with air or earth school. Plz some mage with moon school that teleport.
    Archer are archer but they can mix some magic with to shoot some ice arrow. They can run out of ammo and go melee

Something that make each fight more different and more dynamic IMO

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  13. Deiniak

Deiniak Avatar

I saw they fight each other, Elves fighting Kobold. That is great that make some dynamic to the fight

14. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

In all fairness, you must have an agenda and stick with it. If you can not come up with one or two, odds are you wont be playing much at all. Granted, there isnt many, there should be enough primary ones to get you down the road till they install more content.

15. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

"To save or not to save." I personally dont like touching things twice to get the same job done. I assume I am going to change my mind on play style & skills while being wrong from time to time; it does happen on occasions. the only thing you lose really is time invested if that. XP is like an invisible fence it herds you into a play style. you have to commit, to a theme.

16. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Character Advancement, nothing new under the sun, nor is the players complaining about being bored , which is a product of there own demise!

17. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

The reason is it is a grind is that there is no purpose to what you do other than the grind itself.

Why are you killing wolves and undead? It is not to save the town, because the town is entirely unaware of your actions. Their sheep are not endangered by any of the wolves. Their townfolk are not at risk of becoming zombies. They all live in an instance that is disconnected from what goes on in other instances, they live in their own world where they do not even realize their town gate is under siege. They are completely unaware that you just cleared the mountain pass of bandits so that trade can resume.

The game has done a very poor job of giving you a reason why you are doing things, other than to increase your XP pool so you can grind bigger mobs for no real reason. There is zero consequence beyond your own character sheet for anything that you do. That is not enough reason for most people, even those who enjoy the character sheet grind will realize there is no cap and no end so they give up.

It is however an excellent online LARP simulator, a Medieval/Steampunk Second Life where you can buy your castle and your title and pay serfs to gather your ore for you. But don't think you can get away with rewarding yourself with all that gold you grinded, because there is always someone willing to outbid you with actual real money.

18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Name any real MMO in the past 20 years thats not a grind.

Every single one I have played has had equal complaints from people about it being grindy.

19. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

So it is time to finally change something in MMORPG genre , no?

20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

But if that revolution cannot not created by a AAA MMO game maker who has the 200 million to do it, its hard to justify how one with 12 mil would be able to.

But think about that. Changing an MMORPG to take out grinding would be like trying to take dark matter out of the universe. Not sure how you would do it.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.