Portalarium, please don't cave in to the loud noise. Keep decay in!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapatos80, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Steam lies though. They fluff their numbers up so it makes SoTA look bad. Probably because they are being paid more by another company.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

... what?
    Steam is wildly successful. If you think they are getting paid by another company to alter the numbers of a small Early Access like shroud.. ..
    Lets just say i challenge you to support that.
    And they fluff * their numbers up ... to make sota look bad? How... they would make more money if sota was interpretted to be doing better... so wouldnt steam have * more * players then actually playing if that was the case?

Or am i mis reading what your trying to say?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I agree, KEEP DECAY!

4. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

BDO? Elder Scrolls? Come on. You don't think they get handed backdoor cash. These are big companies with big money. SoTA is something different and a threat to them. Guarantee it. Worst mistake SoTA did was to put out on Steam.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

LOL You think BDO and ESO are handing money to Steam.. to .. downplay SOTAs numbers?

You think.. Steam ( A very.. very successful game hosting platform, with 100s of big company names on an international level ) .. would risk their reputation.. and their validation... So that ESO could fluff down SOTA's numbers?

Dear god, try to source me something related to that. Because that is hilarious.

You dont think.... that if STEAM was doing that, a sota dev could just look at the current online players. Look at how many are running of their launcher, and then look at what steam says from their end. And do the difference?
    You dont think Port would sue, and essentially fund the next 5 episodes if Steam was doing something like that?

Yeaaa... ESO and BDO stand on their own reputations. They arn't going to risk BRIBING steam to downplay an Early Access game that is having problems standing on It's own.

I've never seen such awesome hate / distrust towards steam before coming into this community. And so far im yet to see any validation of it.

Duke Albert, Scraps MacMutt and Mykll like this.
  6. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Stats don't lie.. this is what every investor/player should be considering in regards to decay. This game needs skill caps. It gives purpose to having another character slot, which in turn opens up more channels for roleplaying.

Duke Albert, Scraps MacMutt and Mykll like this.
  7. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

It is certainly possible. Of course this isn't Steam against SoTA. Steam probably does it with a lot of other games. This isn't a conspiracy theory. It is just that I could see Steam taking money from larger publishers to push their games against others. So it probably happens. BDO gained over 20,000 players since launching a few weeks ago. That just doesn't happen on a game that has been out that long. Not when games like SoTA are around. They probably paid for it.

This game certainly doesn't need caps. Having no caps is the best thing possible for SoTA. It makes it unique. The people who put in the hours should be rewarded with being the best and most powerful. Why not? They PAID the money and they put in the time. They didn't get it for free. This game is only being able to be played by people putting in the money to become powerful and putting in their time.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Correct for cooking, and even making furniture or armor. but when it comes to enhancing and someone with 100 plus can put more on an item than someone with 80 you start to see the specialties comes out..... With furniture and cooking, do you really want to have to go find a piece of furniture, like there is ever going to be a real sustainable market in Deco?

9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I already said my peace in another thread about decay. But OP I don't think you have anything to worry about,from all indications,decay isn't going away.

10. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Let's be honest with ourselves, caps obviously couldn't work with any part of the current systems in place. Caps would require a complete overhaul down to the very existence of attunement. I don't really like the idea of caps myself as it limits the sandbox, but it's really comparing apples to flaming monkeys with lasers coming out their eyes in terms of the current system to what we'd have to have with a capped system.

I believe the exorbitant time/materials required to level skills past 100 is enough of a "forced" specialization. People aren't dumb, they'll soon figure it out that *Mr Bauss of all bausses Enchanter A* craps all over *Squeak Enchanter B* because A decided to only spend money on weapons while B tried to do both.

Granted this analogy really only holds sufficient water with trade skills, mainly because I can imagine how trade skills would play out as a result of caps. I can't really fathom how to play the game with a capped adventure point system right now.

fonsvitae and Zapatos80 like this.
  11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I know about 6 people off the top of my head who would choose carpentry as their specialty if it came down to choosing only 1. I dont think it would be a problem at all.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Correct but even after that as a carpenter you would need to specialize in bows, bludgeon, or polearms. Even just getting all three of those masterworks to 150+ would take forever.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  13. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

This game already has caps, both soft caps and hard caps. This game doesn't need decay.

It does need to promote specialization, at least for crafting.

14. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Cannot help but disagree with you @Scraps MacMutt. We most definietely do need decay. I'm not at all convinced that anything we all say here will make a difference but rather like the way that decay is set up. I just wish it was a bit more painful at the upper end of the skills spectrum.

15. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Yes, yes it is.

Duke Albert likes this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Now you know seven. ;)

17. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

My thoughts exactly. Nailed it :)

18. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Sidenote, I just insta-died today fighting Cabalist Aarvas thinking I was fighting Indigno and I lost *drumroll* a bit less than 100k XP. My decay was at max (24hrs) and i'm my low lvl 90s. That's not even 15 minutes fighting in the siege scene I was in, and I only died due to carelessness on my part against a very dangerous boss. Can only imagine how minuscule a penalty someone with 1/10th my XP (probably around lvl 50-60 or so) would get hit by... not even 10k? A handful of wolves to cover that? Is this really what all the broohaha about the lower level that can't progress is about?

19. neveser

neveser Avatar

Decay is not enough! I think we need permadeath.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  20. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Well i'm the kind of masochist that plays Diablo 3 and Terraria on permadeath so maybe i'm not a very representative customer after all :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.