Disparity of XP Gain Between Crafting Professions

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by mass, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If you make ingots/leather/etc 1 at a time instead of ulk crafting, and your refining skill is good, you get crits that earn you 5x xp

Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

By crafting 1 item at a time, and having decent refining/crafting skill, you earn roughly 25-30% more xp over time than you do with bulk crafting items

Time Lord and Solazur like this.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

That was an awesome read! :)

mass and Time Lord like this.
  4. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

If you're suggesting that anybody do this, ever, then you are out of your mind. Anybody who does this large scale is a bot.

mass likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Depends on what large scale is. I do it this way all the time. It doesnt take that long to get your skill that high and some of the craftables can yeild up to 800-3000 xp

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I'm not a bot and I do that. Maybe I'm wrong but I feeled like 1 at a time timer was a bit faster than the other one. Also 1 at a time ingots give 20 xp, not 15.

That said, I'm probably out of my mind. I crafted thousands of things that way.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Curt

Curt Avatar

They will likely need to do a makeover to the crafting experience.

Time Lord and mass like this.
  8. ikickbutt

ikickbutt Avatar

For an authentic RP experience I'd suggest using Foraging for your xp generation needs

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I've got all my skills, both combat and crafting locked until next release.
    [​IMG] :confused: Could be worse, could be better, I don't know, but that's just me :cool:~TL~

Fister Magee and mass like this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

I admit that I've done this several hours at a time. It does make me feel like I need an intervention :(. They really should allow exceptional items from batch crafting.
    I find that the first time I craft something, I can get those types of numbers, but it drops of pretty drastically after the first one. I've even 'robbed Peter to pay Paul' so to speak by locking something like cooking to generate xp to then go and spend on carpentry.

But even with all those tricks, the most efficient and most sustainable way to gain crafting xp is gathering tier 5 nodes. Particularly if you go past ~60 in any particular field. Certainly, you could craft with no gathering, but man that would be a super duper slow grind as ultimately you could only spend what you earn per craft, which is fairly dismal and would use enormous amounts of resources.

Spoon, Yzelph, discipleofweb and 2 others like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: A Time Lord in Winter ~o_O...
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes: This was one of my reasons for locking it all up for a while. Another with is sort of connected to that, is that some day the individual character is what they are with little else to be gained and just playing the game in a stagnate no skill gains worried way. There's a certain amount of frustration involved with always watching what's wanted against what's needed which taints the entire gaming experience from an RP perspective. It's like watching the seconds ticking away on a bomb that you wished would just go off and be done with it's worries.

Our characters are in a perpetual "spring time" from the day we create them, yet meaningful growth begins to stagnate from our experience pools running dry causing us to place our characters on restrictive rations, while we desperately and with great frustration attempt to target those skills we think have become vital to our character's progression.

We don't have seasons of saving experience unless we impose them upon ourselves, which is exactly what I've chosen to do. Such a preparation for spring time will be experienced by our agriculturists within our game. If you can imagine as an agriculturalist having an empty experience pool yet heading into one of our coming and soon to be seasons of harvest or time of planting, then that agriculturalist's outlook for gaining skills looks very bleak, but yet for the agriculturalist who has stored and stocked up their experience pool, then those times we look forward to such activities looks quite promising and something of a joyous time to look forward to.

It's always ours individually to choose how we manage our experience pool and where that goes, yet I think there's something that's truly missed within all our frustrated discussions on the subject and that is "just locking it all up" and then looking forward to a much more promising time ahead :rolleyes:
    ~Time Lord~;)

Yzelph and mass like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

thats where the How fast do you wanna level" comes in. Every day items go back to offering good xp again. After the first few craft sof a given item its xp will fall off, offering a set, small, ammount of xp. If you do it again after a day it will offer larger XP gains again. But for alchemy, theres no huge score to craft that doesnt require already being at lvl 70, so theres nothing afaik to get you that high without gathering stuff except making potions. And i dont believe those offer much XP

Time Lord likes this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

I've had pretty much everything locked for a while, waiting until I'm ready to do some enchanting and masterworking. What you describe, I think, is pretty much my approach to the game as well. I just want to get my skills up to the point that I can make the things I want to make and then stop grinding them. Ideally, at that point, I could just leave everything on and let them naturally melt up as I used to those skills as I would have the basic functionality I desired. But for me, to make the things I would like to make, requires a few GMs in primary skills, ~80's in a few others, and at least ~40's in some masterworks.

Not to sound weirdly dramatic about it, but I long for the day that I craft 'to make stuff' and not to 'level skills'. Having one pathway be the most efficient pathway to getting to that point increases the feeling of 'grind'. I think bringing xp gain among the various tiers of crafting into better balance would help provide for multiple pathways of achieving the same thing and reduce the feeling of grind.

In addition to agriculture updates (which I'm looking forward to) I think we'll see other polish updates as well, particularly for refining skills. I hope the Devs consider the issues of balance between gathering, crafting, and refining xp gain when developing those updates.

Yzelph and Time Lord like this.
  14. mass

mass Avatar

It's not that I think everyone should conform to my ideal leveling speed, it's that I think there should be equivalency in terms of both efficiency and sustainability between xp gain per time spent gathering, refining, and producing. Having those equivalent alternate pathways for leveling up crafting would reduce grindyness. Add in some crafting quests and maybe other creative ways for xp gain/spend and that would help as well. It's not that I want to drastically reduce total hours spent to level, it's that I want those hours spent to be more varied and fun (and maybe a little less, but I'd settle for the former two issues :)).

Spoon and Time Lord like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im for crafting tasks for NPCs (especially since theres no demand for beginner masterwork/enchants or low end food) and i think portalarium decided to give a daily diminishing return to crafting for xp to prevent folks from grinding it out.

But with no demand for any of your goods until your high level, its not ideal to ever be low level.

mass and Time Lord like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I'd much rather see a system where your only allowed to pick 3 or 4 crafting skills and already be fully sufficient in them, and have the difficulty come from cost and rare material aquisition

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I do a lot of crafting and I think I must be misunderstanding what you said here. You're saying that each day, stuff I've crafted lots of times before gives me comparable XP on the first few to when I first crafted that item? To what I got on the first 5 or so I ever crafted?

Just tried that...made some spools of cottton thread and some cotton cloth straps. Haven't made either of those in at least a real-time month. Did them singly, not in batch. Every one gave me 20 crafting XP.

Did I misunderstand what you said? Or did this exist for a bit and then go away in one of the releases since you posted that? Or is it only specific items that do this?

18. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

He's wrong. It's permanent. The exp you get from crafting an item will slowly decrease to a bottom level and that's what you get from then on out.

Alley Oop likes this.
  19. Katu

Katu Avatar

All the skills are pretty much the same. I whack mobs for few hours, then sit in town, casting root to practice target. You do other stuff, to get the xp and other stuff to use it. This is the core of the deep skill system, working as intented.

Please note, I inserted little bit of sarcasm in the message.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.