Request to not like my posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am a well educated alpha male IRL. I wish I could say that my personal strength and honor could not be swayed by community back patting via like's. But after using the option to hide likes from the alerts, I came to realize that it has impacted my participation in the forum.

I can appreciate that some folks believe like's are a good thing and I have no intention of debating that. I will say however that I believe that like's are truly harmful to honor, truth and honesty. I suggest that all people that wish to challenge that try hiding like alerts for a prolonged period and then take the same courage and honesty I am now in revealing their findings. I am ashamed to say, that even after I turned off those likes, I was compelled to go check the posts :(.

My only request is that nobody likes my posts unless they cannot help it. I don't rate others by likes. and so I am not going to rate myself either. If you really want to reach out to my statement, quote me or PM me.

I am going to try very hard not to like your posts for the same reasons.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I always thought of the "Like" feature (at least for myself) as a way to say "I agree", or "+1", or "I like what you said" rather than posting a reply to say those things.

I see where you are going, though. I personally hate social media and am not a part of it. Not because I want to be "uber l33t", or because I am a snob, or because <INSERT YOUR OWN THOUGHT HERE>. I am not part of it because of the corporate aspect of it. I don't want to contribute to their numbers. I don't want to receive news about the latest movie star, etc. I don't want to know what a Kardashian is selling. And I don't want to see my mom taking pictures of the reflective faucet in her bathroom with her distorted face asking me "Guess what this is?" I have a cat, and find cat videos amusing, much like a cat finds a ball of yarn amusing. I just turn that off eventually (after like 2 or 3, come on, they can be cute).

So I get what you are getting at here, and I guess the only reason I responded is because I am at work, avoiding going home, because my wife is a Facebook addict who will chide me for playing video games, but for some reason deems it okay to sit on the couch during movie night responding to posts. Or <gasp!> hitting that dopamine "Like" button that Zuckerberg put out there for all the masses to devour.

Olthadir, Zader, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

lol, that cheered me up. :) thanks for the response.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It's a pretty radical point of view Tahru, its sadly bound to create more confusion and strife than your intended goal. Why ? Because people like the easy road, constructing an elaborate and even sometimes unintelligible response that will enhance imagination fun or lee way is quite an effort for most people who do not have a good feel of the jurisdictions and limitations that will trigger offense instead of inclusive participation (the curse of the blind *pun intended* I know, abrasive, right?).

On the other hand I know where you're coming from but you seem to be attacking the symptom and not the cause which is simply that there is no motivation to follow virtue in or out of game. I'm not saying some people do not have that moral finesse, but that the mainstream will only act virtuously if it brings something back in return and the exceptions only confirm the rule.

That makes things VERY complicated... we might like complex things, but complicated is rather pejorative in this situation. People want to be entertained, so even having to think about one of those philosophical tangents sounds like a chore, and ironically much more than tedious tasks which have no replay value.

I know what I'm talking about, how often have I been accused of not being right just because I had less likes than posts ? Often even if many people knew it was wrong and childish even, how many have stood up to even ignore that sword of damocles and pursue the discussion in rational terms ?

I can count on one hand...

hopefully you can open your eyes and start to see that others have threaded here and hath chosen to speak truthfully.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

If you really want to open that pandora's box, then its not my role to stop you :)

But we will have to talk bout how being good ol ahu or good ol tahru has simply no meaning in this or any other game yet created, for the games are built around soulless mathematics which is sadly amplified by the fact that people use their imagination less and less and want to be fed the perfect visual experience instead of filling in the blanks.

This was to be expected, and I'm baffled that no development studio has realized this basic mistake.

I can be virtuous or not, nobody will care, its a game where I can be myself because it dosen't matter who I am.

Cruel, I know... and it is deeply felt by many of us because in our minds, Ultima was approaching such magnitude.

Now its become a product...

thoregundi and Leelu like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Good post @Ahuaeynjgkxs and I have no argument for you.

Although it may be selfish, I have posted this thread and I have added the request to my signature. Just by doing that, I have forcefully excluded myself from the like culture from this point on. Hence, even if I worded my posts for good likes in the future it would not matter, as I can never expect likes even from those who really like what I say. As as a result, I am now and forever freed from the like culture.

That said, I am still me. And I will still post positively in most cases, because that is how I really feel, not because I want to be liked.

thoregundi and Leelu like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed, I just hope people will display SOME unconditional love in return and say "we still love you Tahru".

Cause to be honest, I deserved to be treated like @($!. I have oiled the wheel that precipitated digital roleplaying fusion with digital entertainment and crushed its purpose. I did not do it intentionally, I should have been more perceptive, I should have known passionate people can still betray you...

I should I should :)

At the same time I don't have any regrets because I have not yet met those who deserve the blessings of the wisps. So be it, I did what I did I am that I am :)

Leelu likes this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

You are very kind. Thank you! :)

thoregundi, joezhudarak and Leelu like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I have removed myself from the signature culture! So I will more than likely forget to not like your likable posts. If you attempt to make less likable posts I will be less inclined to like the things you don't want liked.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

lol, can't help but to love the community. I am just making sure it is all for the right reasons.

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ristra is a good example of complex yet not complicated :p hahaha

Leelu likes this.
  12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This post is getting deep!

What if this game won't feed you? What if, even if by a mistake in design, they created an environment where math sets up the basic rules of existing in this "world", yet this math leads to a culture where people are who they want to be. And much like our own real world, if people (or anything alive) would be inclined to survive how it saw fit, the likelihood is that this planet would be A WHOLE LOT less populated; and it is the rules in the real world that keep people in "check".

Without any such rules in a game like this we are stuck with this place of less and less imagination and it being "empty" (in terms of the players not being "fed"). I do not mean rules coded into the game, I mean societal rules, or at the very least rules of engagement. I think that would be the perfect game, wherein developers set up the world with rules, and we the players decide how to live in it.

We could just do our own thing or grind in small groups. Or we could help to set up experiences that players want to partake in. Use our imaginations to entice people on journeys throughout the world. Something deeper than what's on offer. Maybe it can inspire others. Any content developers drop is quickly consumed, leaving a long drought (in some games).

We shouldn't rely solely on developers to create this world for us. We can do some of that on our own, and have the developers shape the overarching story of the game world. This would still include regular content or mechanics the developers create. We would just be jump-starting player imagination. If only we had more tools...

I don't know if I have what it takes to write or plan out quests and the like. I try. But it's hit or miss. It involves a good amount of roleplay, which I am new at. And I think most people shy away from RP. RP just for RP's sake is a very niche segment of the population. But I think a good majority of average players would try out player-made content.

This is more than I originally intended to write. I hope you get the idea.

Leelu and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

I will not like them in box, I will not like them with a fox!

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Ya know what would be a cool change?

If instead of likes, you could click on buttons that said Honor, Truth, and Love. I think that would be very appropriate.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I wonder what that would be like.

16. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I want gold, give me some

Leelu, Thwip and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Reject-like button?

When you need to say "thanks but no thanks for that like. You really shouldn't have."

OR, when you really want to torment @Time Lord and see how many times he will reclick the like button after you reject his like.

Leelu, Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh yes I do... and I've been irritating developing ears *pun intended* about it since R10 :p

You put the finger on the wound, there are no rules of engagement, even worse there is no consequence to breaking their over-extolled facsimile. It completely ruins immersion for the creative souls who could make such content or at least help dev content feel alive and dynamic.

I am very, very saddened that most of them have already left, a repeat of the sad social story that UO endured in consecutive vicious spirals. I am not one to quickly doom or speculate on the end result... at least the end result that the devs have announced matters to them.

I am more inclined to speculate on matters not yet avowed.

We want a spiritual successor yet none even agrees on the definition of soul. In fact none yet even attempted to extrapolate about how a game, like a movie or a book, or a piece of music... could have soul. This would be our common ground amongst all players, roleplayer or not.

Blurring the line between playing and acting has always been the goal of RPGs, yet we now evolve in a space where everyone has conveniently forgot sublimity to extrapolate instead on market and the amount of money the next telethon should provide in shares.

Thats a whole lot of layered extrapolation, it kinda puts the time lord in a very delicate position, bartering time or money, that is the dilemma. Which is more precious ?

That is advanced algebra, which could guide a certain story arch, if only some would step over their pride and realise that transparency isn't the opposite of privacy.

I am honestly fed up with feeling that I have contributed to funding this great game with money hard earned, and that without even moving from my cozy chair I could sell parts of my pledge to double my investment...

But wait, its NOT an investment, its a pledge which is now rendered ridiculous and uprooted from its passion. Now I know nobody cares that I sacrificed alot and made the silly choice to fund a game by my favorite artist ever in the genre. Not even my nerd dignity can remain intact, for all anybody knows I could have machiavellicaly thought everything in advance and made money. Thus I am not a contributor, I am a lucky insider who had notice in advance that the price of the stocks would rise. If I didn't or couldn't take up the opportunity well too bad, sad day for you.

This without sacrifice, without compassion, without honor. I have forged my seat on this council, and only the tears of the prophets can now quench my thirst.

Leelu likes this.
  19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

How is this a thing?

Take away like button and i simply will re quote and say * i agree!* to add weight behind a statement i agree with or i think is a productive write up for discussion.

Comeon guys.. theres more important discussions that need to be had on these forums. :/

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

love this rofl !!! call it the humility button :D

Leelu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.