It is dark in here.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by psteg, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Dear Creator,

I would like you to see this :

[​IMG]

As you can notice it by yourself, some nights are so dark that I can't see anything.

Even with headlights, my visibility is not more than 26~ meters. And people are dying on the road every day.

That's not fair : when I complain, some people are just replying that I need to adapt : go slowly, use high beam headlights.... some even suggest me to invest in night vision googles ! Are they kidding ?

It's my pleasure to drive at this speed with my simple headlights. We are talking about fun !

Creator, I suggest that you make nights less dark. You will save lifes and more importantly, you will save my fun on the road !

Lots of love !

PS : Maybe there is a bug. I don't know. Personaly, I have no issue with darkness, because I use spells/torchs to diffuse it when necessary (the light spell placement is annoying with the last release, indeed). But I feeled like it would be interesting to place this in some perspective.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I actually like that nights in this game are properly dark, in too many others night time is barely worth the bother. For instance I like that at night if I am stalking some prey in the forest I can only see so far even though I can hear it out there somewhere....I find it atmospheric and that it adds sonething to the process of the grind which I think is a cornerstone of the sort of thing this game is trying to achieve ?

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

When you have selective immersion, arguments ensue. Why not force 8 hours downtime per earth day for our avatars to sleep? Why not have latrines that have to be visited numerous times a day? This is a game for gosh sakes, a vehicle for escape from all this. We need to LIGHTEN up.

4. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

@Budner yes, and also a "never sleeping npcs" option too as consequence.

Seriously , night is important for certain features of the game (like harvesting some magical reagents) so it wont be removed .
    @ devs What id like to see during the night is all diurnal animals sleeping and evil creatures beeing more numerous (especially undeads and spiders).

for "the darkness problem": isnt there a slider or an option to modify the gamma (i didnt check)?

5. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

@Gurney2 The idea of the mobs changing at night is fantastic - wonder if its possible ? @DarkStarr

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Gurney2 like this.
  6. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

@Gorthyn yes its technically possible: like in Osiris new dawn ( a game made with Unity as sota): during the night "special monsters" are coming to eat you.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

It's already the case in some zones.

@Aldo your argument is irrelevant : Life can be fun, and the more dangerous it is, the more fun you'll have. Easy games are not fun. Meditate about this : do you want a night as clear as the day ? Or do you want the game to give us multiple things to adapt to ? I'm tired of games which try to be fun and tasteless.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Aldo like this.
  8. neveser

neveser Avatar

When I was playing I would just wait out the night cycle. I'd open a browser on my second monitor and surf or work on something. Then when daylight broke in game, I'd start playing again. Cuts your in-game productivity in half but it stopped my headaches from playing. I was straining to see things in the dark and getting headaches so I just stopped playing in the dark.

Seems as though anything that makes the game more arduous and cumbersome is deemed to be fun by the devs. It's really only pushing people away. My wife and I quit a few months back. I have my character logged out in front of the oracle so I can occasionally log in, grab my free gold and log off again. I do experiment with the new builds for an hour or 2 only to see no real change. An uncloned scene is meaningless if the same trash is to be found within. No surprise, no excitement = no fun.

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

To the first question: YES. To the second, YES. In this case, we are only talking about the game play screen. All graphic cards are not the same. Some people are suffering to a greater extent than others. They simply are looking for some flexibility so they can adjust their systems.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  10. psteg

psteg Avatar

That is what we had in UO and I liked that option very much.

Roycestein Kaelstrom, Budner and Aldo like this.
  11. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I was not aware of that. I thought people, here, asked to see clearly even without any light sources.

Some time, in game, I don't see anything, like when I'm in the mines or when the night has no moon, just like in reality.

Then I use light spell, night vision or lit up the lanterns (THAT makes my party friend laugh) and I can see again !

I suggest a bug report if the issues are technical.

Aldo likes this.
  12. psteg

psteg Avatar

Hornpipe:"@Aldo your argument is irrelevant : Life can be fun, and the more dangerous it is, the more fun you'll have. Easy games are not fun. Meditate about this : do you want a night as clear as the day ? Or do you want the game to give us multiple things to adapt to ? I'm tired of games which try to be fun and tasteless."

That is your opinion, your thoughts. Not others. This is a game of which we put money into it. We want to have fun yes. But everyone has their own way of having fun. Make it adjustable.

13. psteg

psteg Avatar

Just like reality??? Is copper stronger than iron or steel in real life? This is a fantasy game with magic and almost everything that is not real. They can make it adjustable to make everyone in general happy and not have to mess with anything as silly as this.
    I am in my late sixties and I don't need the eye strain.

Lady Cind likes this.
  14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

And ? Everyone here is giving his/her opinion, including you.

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Ever watch "Naked and Afraid"? Do you think that if you were in the deep jungle, total pitch black, you would not try to start a fire because the thrill of being killed by animals or freezing to death would be lost?

psteg, Numa and Hornpipe like this.
  16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Did I say somewhere that I found this choice relevant ? And if I had to defend it, I would say that copper is slightly heavier than iron then it can cause more damage (but has less durability).

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

Kind of have to when you're a stealth character... otherwise you're SOL during night time AND when dungeon crawling.

I can't appreciate the work the artist put on the environments, but at least I can play the damn game.

It's not uncommon for bug reports to be merged with a general "to do" list... and, depending on who's available (as some people might already be busy fixing other things), stuff ultimately gets done regardless of priorities.

If Mr. Joe The Artist can't fix a physics simulation bug, he goes down the list until he gets something he can work on... like fixing the orientation on grass or whatever. Sounds trivial but at least it's done.

I don't know about you, but in the real world, I have 5 senses. If I have to rely on ONE (vision) to be able to navigate through an area due to some limitation of the medium, then I expect to be able to use that sense in some practical way.

18. golruul

golruul Avatar

I'm going to chime in and agree with how annoying the reduced light from "Light" spell is. The positioning of the Light is annoying as well, always just behind your avatar and right in front of the camera angle -- the absolute worst place the Light can be. Please position it to be IN FRONT of the avatar (in whatever direction they're facing).

Notice that I use the word "annoying". It doesn't make the game more difficult, it just makes it more annoying. Just like reducing the speed of the avatar on non-roads in overworld travel or putting in those random worthless encounters that just waste our time with loading screens, it doesn't make the game more difficult, it just makes it more annoying getting from point A to B.

Improve combat AI to make the game more genuinely difficult? Yes please. But stop wasting dev time and our time with "features" that serve primarily to annoy players or that needlessly lengthen the time taken to do something.

As for the real life comparisons, not only does no one care, but this is a non-simulation fantasy world game , so obviously real life comparisons are completely irrelevant.

Pebbles, Peabo and Lady Cind like this.
  19. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

Mmmmm...... love me some darkness! :)

20. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I agree that the new position of the light above our heads is a wrong move. If it were just in front of us that would be a much better solution while retaining the "feel" of a proper night time environment.

fonsvitae, Lady Cind and Hornpipe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.