Eurogamer: Shroud of the Avatar is UO 2 in so many ways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

This man deserves a award.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem with "one big world" is that it's impossible to have player owned towns and supremely difficult to add and update NPC towns.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

??? Sandbox open world games. What do you think ultima online was ? The more recent version of that is mortal online which has all of this that your speaking of in open world and a more complex combat system. It's very possible especially with the engine they are using.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Your Grace, that claim can't possibly be true until the 27th of next month.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am just getting a jump on it so I don't have to come back in 5 weeks and change it. ;)

Solazur likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

OK, tell me how player owned towns would work in a "one big world" kind of way?

[edit] Actually, don't even answer that. As much as people (including myself) would like to see a contiguous world, it's extremely unlikely that would ever happen because the devs have already said as much.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

re one contiguous world & player housing - ESO had to do tradeoffs. Instead of NPC & Player towns having their own contiguous mini-world (as in SOTA) the instancing was shifted to within the house or home:

[​IMG]

source: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.c...s-with-loading-screens-do-you-hate-it-as-i-do

In a large home such as the Hakkvild's High Hall - going to the certain parts of the house means a loading screen.

The problem with this approach in SOTA is when we have POT invasions by PvE mobs. With our current setup, I can look through any window in my 4 story row house and see the mobs coming. Not only that, I can take my long bow off the wall, run to the 4th floor balcony and strafe the mobs below with arrow fire. My neighbors in the POT can do the same and we'd all be in the same instance no matter where we are. (note: sole exception would be the house basements)

This would be problematic with the ESO approach to housing.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Spinok likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What's the benefit of housing in ESO? Storage? Crafting? Just sitting and pretending to drink tea?

Numa likes this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

Not much. Mostly a recall point and a place to get together with friends. Everything in the house (except for crafting tables) are cosmetic. Beds can't be slept in. Shelves and Cabinets can't store stuff ( you need to put them in the bank). Permissions are primitive (just owner & decorator) and Guild houses access has to be set for guild members individually.

You can't put down a planting pot and grow plants in them either.

Barugon likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

[​IMG]

Seems to be the new big thing in this forum.

discipleofweb likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I join this opinion.
    Problem with pvp is there is no balance of skills or trees. Cherrypicking, min maxing an Avatar from all schools is the way to be competetive. Gear and spent time growing your skills, resistancies, Stats etc... is what makes the winner first.
    Playerskill is seconded.
    Maybe with pvp scene caps it's going to be more balanced, but you can finish the story long before you are even competetive in capped pvp scenes.
    What they ask to do me and what time it needs to do it is a no go for pvp for me.
    I am a casual player.
    So no pvp for me unless i am able to spent more time and let of my choosen "class" i build of the possibilities and created the Avatar i want to be.
    And i dont want to be a Death or Firemagic User. So i am not going to be competetive ever!
    It's what i state for a along time.
    This Game has SP mechanics and the MP is more or less for groupplay only and socializing.
    PvP is only for hardcore and min maxing people.
    If one likes it and pvp there we have the audience.
    I like pvp i like full loot and open sandbox PvP, but not on this game due to gamemechanics.
    And they would need to rework the whole skillsystem to provide balanced pvp.
    There is no balance! And there don't necessarily need balance - even for pvp.

Another thing about PvP is, try 20vs20
    i forsee performance issues.
    Or try to overwhelm a level 100 with a group of midlevels.
    In UO someone told me everybody makes a difference in a pvp Situation and a bunch of midlevel allways should be able to get a highlevel in stress situation.
    Not for SotA the gap between players and the Distribution of Powers is totally broken.
    I bet even 20 level 50 cannot kill a level 100. He wont get hit and he more or less onehits all of them.
    The pvp scenes are open PvP sandbox scenes - there is and mustn't be any consense about pvp.
    PvP is never consensual also we talk about duels or Arena PvP.
    But pvp scenes arent Arenas and there arent "Leagues" or Limits or Fairness. That's no matchmaking sportslike pvp.
    Avatar's get exponentially stronger.
    At the very top they are maybe going to be equal strong, but i actually dont see or want to be very strong = level more trees or level higher than 80 because of death decay. And i am pro death decay.
    And i dont see why i should do it?
    There is nothing to reach for me.
    I dont grind bosses nit because i cannot, but because i dont want to.
    I dont solo sieges and such.
    It's not what i call playing a RPG.

I would love to get PvP into my RPG playing, but circumstances and set mechanics and Implementation of pvp in SotA is not about playing an RPG, but min maxing hardcore progress gaming.
    Fine for those who have the time and willing to do this, i wouldnt even if i have the time, because i am a ROLEPLAYGAMER and no progress gamer who.only likes the math of RPG Elements - big difference imho ;-)

Edit: and dont forget to have your 15 buffs up when pvp and the right artifacts.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I have to skill ressurection :D

Numa likes this.
  13. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Yes please, make cabalist really assault the POTs and NPC towns, vendors stop trading(both player and NPC), and all citizens pay money to compensate city destructions, depends on how long assault was... It will be really cool feature ;) Want to see army of kobolds and clock dragon in my POT :D

Numa likes this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Ew! That is not housing to me. No thanks.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.