My Experience as a Returning Player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Demoyn, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

it's not punishing me!!!
    but i agree to this!!!
    i woulld just sit it out - actually you have to be actively earn it back and you cannot sit it out - big difference!!!
    please tell us what is your level and how much did you lost?
    I love Skill decay too, and i also play in a small group and i also die more often when playing in this group (but we are a new team and we get better)

What's the matter if one play solo or in groups??? Yes playing in not well attuned groups let you die more often, but then, become a better team.
    I dont see the point.
    THIS!!!!
    thats no hardcap, thats just hypothetical because nobody will reach it.
    IMHO the most players wont even reach Level 100. Most players quit or just step back and stay at 80 with their skills.
    maybe it's not intended to "farm" highlevelmonsters and if one does and dies he is just not good enough and need to earn the XP back.
    Does he loose any skillpoint? I guess not. What percentage of ie pool has decayed? I assume less than 50% as everybody at this level has 1Mio. pooled xp if not more. Sorry to say that, if that keeps players away from the game or complaining about decay i have nothing to add.
    it took me a year or so to finish Giana Sisters on the C64 :D
    great game :-D
    i would say it's more about to setup an competetive environment for everybody and not only 24/7 gamers. Actually normal and casual gamers are excluded to compete by design - to have the biggest audience you need to meet in the middle. Its not anbout jealosy, @Lord Halvard Fimbultyr even PvP's, i do not because of it, but i am not jealous about the time others have to play the game or that their chars are stronger. I only complain that to be competetive the game want us to nonstop grinding. And thats because of no limits and no cap, no matter if soft or hard what balances the playerbase to have as much people as possible involved.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. neveser

neveser Avatar

To some extent I agree. If you want some real decay make it perma death. No more lame parasitical siphoning away of your character, just kill it - DEAD. Now there's some REAL fear of dying. That would easily keep everyone's level down and turn this into a real hardcore game. I could actually respect that mechanic.

3. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Would be interesting to see how new player on release will react to decay. This will be fun i guess

Ahuaeynjgkxs and neveser like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

We already pretty much know how they react. This since the free Trial players come in regularly.
    First reaction is confusion.
    Second reaction is to ignore it.
    Then if they stay the third reaction when they hit level 60+ is frustration and angst usually.

Most Trial players I talk with like that there is no hard cap. But when they ask more and more questions about Decay then the less enthusiastic they become.

Snikorts, FrostII, Hornpipe and 6 others like this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

6. neveser

neveser Avatar

Agreed. I'm gonna guess it's going to look a bit like their reaction after persistence...

[​IMG]

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Ouch !

8. Morph

Morph Avatar

Stay away from Denmark then, you would hate it! :)

Here there are hardly any poverty and we're considered the happies contry in the world... Yet, effectivly, we pay about 80% in taxes, 50% of my paycheck goes to the goverment, the last 30% is on the things i buy, like cars, gas etc.

Budner, Hornpipe, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Interesting.. what's the source on that?

10. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Looks like the Steam Charts. Not all numbers but i think its the same decrease on non steam players

Solazur likes this.
  11. neveser

neveser Avatar

Yep. Steam charts. May not account for all players but its a great way to take the pulse on a game. In this case... the patient is not doing well.

Snikorts, Koldar and Solazur like this.
  12. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Minus the guys who just log in for the Bonus xp. Grind of the Avatar could get a similar release like No Mans Sky :) the hype is real

Cordelayne and neveser like this.
  13. Demoyn

Demoyn Avatar

I'm in the 80's. I don't remember exactly which level, but it's probably somewhere close to 85.

As for the XP, well I don't know the EXACT number on that either, but I'm currently at 973,508. When I heard about the login XP I started logging in daily. Once I hit a million I started thinking about coming back to the game. That was maybe two weeks ago, so I'd estimate the XP loss at around 150,000.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Demoyn

Demoyn Avatar

That's a nice piece of fiction you've written there. Where can I buy the hardback version?

15. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Dude, I'm pretty sure don't lose 150K at lvl 93.. sorry I'm calling BS

Edit: I'm putting the fork in.. this thread is clearly done

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

~15% of your Pool.

Do you feel viable at Level 85? What is it that you cannot accept this sort of softcap or meaning to death?
    What are your personal goals?

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

indeed - that would mean i loose 15k at Level 75 and ten times this at Level 85 :eek:

18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

ya.. I'll admit though.. I rarely have a truly accurate number when I die... *IF* I'm really checking my stuff it's more of a look at the beginning of activity and again at the end. Generally it's a usually a net gain so I don't worry about it a hell of a lot.

As to the OP again it's quatsch (much ado about nothing) as it's clearly a bug I'd strongly suggest @Demoyn tag @Chris (or you know... PM him on discord since he DOES reply) and ask for assistance.

As an aside, I'd note that checking his posting history I currently see no bug report filed by him which validates my earlier post.. the one he quoted and said I'd written a nice piece of fiction.

19. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Decay is based on the levels of your skills...

I've ground my way to level 100A. I did it with 6 adventurer skills at level 100, with two of those at 104. The other skills were between 40 and 80. I made it up to 74.5 million XP's in the adventurer pool. I would lose 54000 XP's on the first death after a while without one. I try my best to not die.

I completed the storyline and picked up all of the emotes I can get on my own. I have to meet with Chris and Starr in game, sometime... Looking for something to do, I tried some of the higher level scenes. I could not handle them. I thought, "why don't I GM some more adventuring skills and see if I do better". So I did. I spent 55 million or so XP's to bring 15 more adventuring skills to level 100, for a total of 21.

I'm still at 100A, with 20.5 million XP's in the adventurer pool. Now when I die, I lose 100000+ XP's. I'll have to go back in game to get the exact number. The only thing that has changed is the levels of 15 adventurer skills. I did this leveling this past Sunday before hurricane Irma knocked out the power to my house. So it is a recent thing.

Edited to correct GM counts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Numa, Stundorn and Solazur like this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

sad - but in the death decay discussion about 2 weeks ago or so, i recognized also a post what seem exaggerating numbers just to justify to say he/she dont like it. :-(

well, i dont care that much, im sure they will keep death decay. It will surely be adjustet here or there and over time, but i am sure they keep it as they re convinced that it is a good feature. To me it is one, although i know many people dislike it.

btw. Majoria mentioned VSoH, this game had a much harder decay and you loose your stuff in a tomb etc... and the game also hadn't a big playerbase and was unpopular for its bugs and whatnot. Niche Games, oldsql gamers games, maybe its all about the fact of checking and caring for levels, numbers and such and the more immersion type of a gamer who care less about it.
    sure i care about some progress, but i don't feel a need to progress that much further for EP1.
    I'm just sad that i cannot seriously PvP at this level of power, but well that was allways a Problem in many games of the last decade, that powergaming was a significant factor for PvP.
    But not so in UO afaik - i have no proof, but some told me that almost everybody could make a distribution in PvP in UO, not only the top players.

So to me it sounds like they disike the game not only for death decay, but cannot find any fun playing the game in general.
    Maybe this is the tip of the iceberg to some players what made them quit, but then i assume there are other features or flaws that let them stop playing and its not only because of death decay. 11month ago it surely was some other issue that let him stop playing.

idk, but i also dont care that much :rolleyes::)

Snikorts and Solazur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.