Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Sound Hitching Crash Still Exists, even when in Win8 Compatibility Mode

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Rowell, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

1. Title: Sound Hitching Crash Still Exists, even when in Win8 Compatibility Mode
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%.
    3. Blocker? Yes.
    4. Details: Switch the application to Windows 8 Compatibility mode (I am running on the latest version of Windows 10, 64-bit). Turned sound back on to test/play game. Eventually, my PC locked up hard with a sound stutter (just like every other time in the past). Had to power off the PC and reboot from there. Turning off sound I never crash.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Start Game with sound on, play for a while, crash.
    6. User Specs: MSI GT72 Dragon laptop, i7 Quad core, 32gb RAM, GTX-980m 8GB, 1tb SSD, 1tb HDD, Latest version of Windows 10 64-bit, latest drivers for all peripherals.

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. We're going to need more details to better understand the nature of the issue described. If I'm understanding correctly, you're stating that having sound enabled is producing crashes for your client? Have you tested to see if this is reproducible in a controlled environment? Standing still with the sound active? Do some scenes make it worse than others? Have you observed memory consumption while playing to see if somehow a memory leak is tied to the issue? When you say "turning off sound," which settings are you adjusting in-client or on your laptop to make the crash stop occurring? How rapidly does the crash occur from when you first log into the client? What sound device does your system use?

Thank you.

3. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

When I "turn off" the sound, I slide the Master Volume slider in the options panel all the way left, so that no sounds are playing. When I am in Sound Off mode, I can play for hours and hours with no crashes.
    As soon as the sound is on, I usually crash within 30-45 minutes. I've crashed to UI sounds, mob/npc sounds, PC sounds (like grunting in combat), music (in-game music and using the streaming devices).
    I've crashed in Adventure areas, as well as inside towns. It's really hard to pin down exactly what does it (and I've been keeping track of everything possible). Some times, it will be running through town and a bird background sound will hit me and crash. Sometimes, during combat, a spell SFX or character grunt will crash me. Other times, I'm sitting still listening to the streaming juke box and it will crash. Always under an hour of use (usually 30-45 minute range).
    Will provide system sound hardware and driver information later today when I get home from work.

4. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

More in depth computer and equipment specifications:

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GT72 2QE
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 980M
    Display Memory: 24514 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8153 MB
    Shared Memory: 16360 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    (Used for Game)

Description: NS32E400NA14-C (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: No
    Driver Provider: NVIDIA Corporation
    (Used for VOIP)

5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Bump. Information has been provided.

6. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Bump. Need a Bug ID #.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.