Did you pledge from experiencing Ultimas of the pasts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Tim, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Why did you pledge to SotA?

Poll closed Dec 29, 2013.
  1. I pledged for the experiences in Ultima

47 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. I pledge for my experiences in Ultima Online and was an early adopter.

41 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. I pledge for my experiences in Ultima Online and was a late adopter.

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. I never experienced any Ultima's but pledged for other reasons(it just looked cool).

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, that was odd to split Ultima and Ultima Online like that but maybe it was just in error.

I also pledged based on my experience with the Ultima series and Ultima Online, and if early adopter means backer #, then I'm 119 :)

2. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Actually your backer number is just based on when you registered on the website. The first person to pledge might not have even linked their KS to the site yet and when they do they'll get a backer number in the high twenty thousands.
    If you check your list of pledges you'd need to compare dates and times on those to figure out pledge order.
    But I think what the poll means by early or late adopter is whether or not you played early UO or Late UO. Probably means before or after second age or AoS depending on the OP's personal preferences.

3. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

As the title suggests, its focus is on people that have pledged from knowing the Ultima's. So it sounds like that would not be you. Hence no bias, your just not the target group.

4. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

huh? English is your second language? Not sure what you meant by that. I'm assuming you are not referring to me or anyone else in general cause that could be construed as insulting which is against the rules. So are you talking about yourself?

5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I pledged because of RG and I played Ultimas as well...This option is not listed so I did not vote.

Atlaua (MGT470) likes this.
  6. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I've played every Ultima title, been a fan of the history and lore, collected the novels, yeah. I definitely funded to see a return to, if not the actual Ultima universe, then a true successor to the series ' legacy.

7. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

There should have been a 'Both' and a 'Neither' option: I would have chosen Neither

I played several RG games, mostly Ultima, and respected his work, I liked the idea of a crowd sourced game where I could put in my two cents. I don't want a clone of what I played, I just believe that someone capable of that previous good experience is likely to be able to give a subsequent good experience. I am in line with most of the people posting here in wanting something more complex than WoW, especially as simplified as it has become, but if I really wanted one of RG's previous games, I'd be off playing it. I look forward to a truly new offering.

Atlaua (MGT470) likes this.
  8. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

This may come across wrong, but to be blunt, I think it's fair to point out that the rise of RG's success WAS because of the impact, popularity, and lasting influence from the original Ultima games (yes, including UO). It's incredibly telling how long those games have remained not just in our memories, but even today were embraced and are still being discovered by new players via GoG and retailers. If you haven't seen it, Spoony's review of the series highlights the strong nostalgia, and the passion that so many fans possess.

The reason that there was such a backlash against EA and Origin over Ultima IX was due to the sheer disappointment it presented as the conclusion to the series. Think the ME3 ending fiasco on the scope and scale of the beginnings of the Internet and message boards, and you'll understand the frustration so many (including myself) felt knowing there would be no further journeys in this universe. Look at the popularity of emulators like Exult, or remakes like Lazarus to see the creativity and support the Ultima fan base has continued to engender.

This is meant as no disrespect to the developers, but the outcry, funding and attention this project has seen with such an outpouring is arguably greatly influenced by those very passionate fans. Please do not betray that trust with another generic MMO that simply uses the Ultima name to milk the fans. EA's done enough of that to last us all lifetimes.

9. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I'm cautiously hopeful, and obviously, I am excited to see RG's return to game design. I also look at Tabula Rasa as an example where design is not always successful. To the previous poster's point, a lot of folks want a new MMO to compete with WoW. One of the reasons for that game's success is the existing universe, story and background already established in previous game titles that can be drawn upon for inspiration.

I'm not asking for a straight Ultima clone, or a remake of U7 as an example. I -DO- really want to see a game that actually does have some connection to the original series, particularly since the game itself has used several elements from there to begin with. The Avatar, the Virtues, "New" Britannia. Again, a lot has to be excused and accepted due to the fact that RG does not control the Ultima IP, so the connections will probably be tenuous and somewhat stretched. But there seems to be some pushback by some to go "Pfft, Ultima!" That's fine, if that's their decision. From a marketing standpoint, if you promise one thing, but deliver another, you don't succeed.

10. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

True, but in gaming terms, Ultima -DID- define the Avatar for almost 30 years, and that's not simply set aside for everyone. World traveling is not an issue, as we did that within the Worlds of Ultima titles, the Serpent Isle, Underworld 2, etc. Even a weird dystopian alternate version of Britannia, whatever. I do trust their writing staff (especially Hickman) to expand an interesting and enjoyable storyline.

I can be comfortable with a middle ground, since it is clearly impossible to ever return to the actual series, even if RG wanted to. But yes, I admit fully, my desire to invest job this game is directly driven by nostalgia. I also know that it's still much too early to throw in any towels when we've barely seen a pre-Alpha version. But to be blunt, if I wanted Guild Wars, or LotR, or Elder Scrolls, or the dozens of other generic MMO stories, I'd play those. The gameplay and world immersion is very important, but so are the story elements.

11. Derium

Derium Avatar

*holds up his Tabula Rasa shirt*

Yup, I'm just a major fan of his. Period.

12. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

See, then that's where I have an issue seeing Lord British walking around taking about the memory of the Avatar and the connection to the Virtues, only to go "trollolololo", not THOSE Virtues or that Avatar, and totally nothing to do with that crazy Codex of Ultimate Wisdom! Oh and btw, what's a paladin, lololumadbro?!

That's a highly exaggerated and probably unrealistic version of a bad nightmare, but that's the general worst case idea. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but for me, that would hit U9 and ME3 levels of annoyance and rage that would sour any future trust. Call me highly gun-shy in this situation, as I said before, EA has left a lot of bitter fans looking for RG's return to his roots.

13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Ahhhhhh, understatement of the century :D

That remains to be seen. If nothing else, I do believe that RG -wants- to make a great game, and with crowd funding, he does not have EA or their ilk riding his proverbial backside to rush rush rush a steaming pile of mess out just to appease shareholders. How it all fits together to work, I look forward to being surprised.

14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

THIS may come across wrong, but why was I quoted for this post? It doesn't feel in any way like a response to what I said or was thinking, more like I got stood upside down on the sidewalk with a label for "soap" plastered to my arse.

15. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

That's a bit dramatic considering this is a discussion. The quote was in reply to the comment of a new offering, which I addressed regarding the existing elements from the Ultima titles that have already been seen (in some fashion) in this game. Also, the fact that myself and others as the original thread/poll asked have vested interest in seeing some form of return to the series. RG's successes and recognition for the Ultima series has definitely fueled the publicity for this game from excited fans that want more.

MagiK likes this.
  16. Chuzpah Goodfellow

Chuzpah Goodfellow Avatar

Started playing Ultima's back in 1987 with Ultima III, steadily played through all the Ultima's since that release (including the Worlds of Ultima). When Ultima I was re-released I played that as well. Later I would go back and play Ultima II after I picked up the Ultima collection CD compilation. I remember signing up for the $2 Ultima Online beta CD, I was so excited to play with others in Britannia I suffered through on a 28,000 baud modem which I later upgraded to 56k. I laugh when people complain about slow broadband access today, meh!

Ned888, Umbrae and MagiK like this.
  17. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Where do you find that? Im curious how far down the list I am.

18. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

We have come a long way, I remember the days of 1200 baud modems and Scorpia as being the goddess of all things computer game related as far as help and hints, anyone remember CompuServe and GEnie? :D

19. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Magik, go to the Home Page, Log in to your Account, and you will see your number.

20. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

If you goto the main page, log in and select account in the top right hand corner you can find your backer ID (mostly only good for the referal system) there. If you go into your profile here in the forums you have a forum ID number as well, which is different and for sending PMs amongst other things. Neither have anything to do with your pledge order though, they are to with when you first logged onto the SotA website and forums respectively.

MagiK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.