Wisp?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Aldo, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Other games have a mob called Wisp. It has been characterized as an elemental sometimes. However my question is what do you think of our game calling the bright ball we see a will-o-wisp. By definition this is a description of swamp gas that seems to glow at times. Is our game creating an entity by having will-o-wisps flying around non swampy areas? Does anyone have information on this?

Numa and Time Lord like this.
  2. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

You can find them natively in swamp areas of the game.

Will O'Wisp are summoned beings for magic users.
    No different than a Fire Elemental being summoned to non-lava, non-plane of fire locations.
    Just because something lives in a place doesn't mean a magic user can't summon it someplace else.

Time Lord and Arc like this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I guess I was not clear. Other games call a wisp a wisp. Here they have become a will-o-wisp. These are two different entities. Is the fact that our game calls them by a new name simply a mistake? I am pretty sure our glowing balls are wisps. Oh... and here they are not relegated to swampy areas, but can be found in places like Nightshade pass. A wisp is an elemental intelligence. A will-o-wisp is just swamp gas.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

5. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

The will-o-wisps were famous creatures in UO. Didn't do much and showed a strange behaviour. Players interpreted many things into them - leads to treasures, gives answers if asked the right question, etc. .. - and developed into a quest on its own. Nevertheless they didn't do anything special, afaik. The current wisp seem to be a SotA-remake.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

I know them as will-o-wisps since I started playing Ultima (Ultima III to be exact) and Bard's Tale (the original EA rpg)... atleast if my memory is correct.. but it's definitly not a "new" name for them.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

MFWalter, Numa, stidesx and 2 others like this.
  8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

In UO you could communicate with them but their language was not known. Sometimes they would speak an english word. And it wasnt good to kill them. I have seen them in several places in Sota and accidentally killed a few. But generally i leave them alone as i think they are pretty. To me they are just giant fireflies. LOL

Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  9. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Yah, I've always seen them as mischievous but not evil so I tend to ignore them if I can and try not to harm them when possible.

I remember years ago in UO (before Trammel) Wisps were really tough - I got ganked by a bunch of them once when I tried to kill one - needless to say, I learned my lesson and have never gone after them in any game since

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Sometimes old habits are hard to break. Fighting a wisp is one of them. So far these arent too terrible to kill but gives ya the feel bads for doing it. LOL

Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  11. stidesx

stidesx Avatar

There was a sort of wisp cult in UO on Chessy server. Tried to find meaning in the wisps proclamations.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Mizb <---<<< The old Wisp in the mirror trick ;) Check that name out by looking in a mirror if you've never seen it before :) Just hold it up to a mirror and the name "Wisp" will appear...
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~;)

Acred likes this.
  13. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

The first time I saw these in a game was in Wizardy back in the 80's or am I dating myself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.