Enchantable Rewards Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Andernut, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

1. Am I imagining this?: I thought pledge reward artisan tools would be enchantable. I can't find a reference to it and think perhaps it was a hangout now.

2. Has anyone seen what enchantments these are or enchanted your helms/cloaks/sword yet?

• Sword of the Ba’Heer: Starting level weapon that includes precious metals and jewels that can be used to enchant the sword. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source. A version of this item appeared in the book “Ready Player One” by Ernie Cline
    • Knight’s Cloak: Cloak with the Knight’s symbol that has golden & silver thread woven into it that can be used to enchant the cloak. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    • Knight Marshal’s Winged Helm: Starting level helm that includes precious metals and jewels that can be used to enchant the helm. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    • Lord’s Cloak: Cloak with the Lord’s symbol that has golden & silver thread woven into it that can be used to enchant the cloak. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    • Helmet with crown: Starting level helm that includes precious metals and jewels that can be used to enchant the helm. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    • Baron’s Cloak: Cloak with the Baron’s symbol that has golden & silver thread woven into it that can be used to enchant the cloak. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    • Duke’s Cloak: Cloak with the Duke’s symbol that has golden & silver thread woven into it that can be used to enchant the cloak. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    Edit - I should perhaps have @Berek 'd or @DarkStarr 'd this as folks who can find this out, since the forums (at first blush) haven't heard anything about how they worked. Whether for these rewards or my first question about tools.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

This is one of enderandrew's pet peeves as well.

In my personal opinion, I believe the use of the word "enchantment" is simply a blunder regarding the way they described the objects : It is meant to poetically explain how the object is permanently enchanted with "Light".

I'm of the mind to simply let it slide, but I have heard the devs may indeed make those sort of objects enchantable, with the caveat that they will lose their "indestructible" nature in the process.

We shall see. :)

Fauxpas, enderandrew and StevieD like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The real question is why are you playing in the area of "do not lawyer me bro"? You know full well these are made and not enchantable, you are just readfing into some language that is slightly misleading.

These items cannot be enchanted nor where they never supposed to be able to add more, and then they also cant be unwove to take the properties out.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I read it the same way as Andernut and endrew (though I can't spell his Name ^^ sorry Ender ^^)read it.
    If that's wrong a clarification would be good.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    enderandrew likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

There were already founder weapons and armor at lower tiers. I truly interpreted it to mean these new higher tier reward items they added later were meant to be more than the equivalent of the basic founder starting gear at lower tiers.

Don't forget that these items were added a the same time as row lots to offset people at higher tiers who felt like their tiers were devalued since so many more people were getting property by paying less. People that only paid $750 for a Knight tier to get a multi-level home suddenly found people at Ancestor getting a tax-free multi-level home for 1/3rd the price.

So these make-up items were supposed to be special and worthwhile. Just making them a light source and nothing else seems cheap.

When Portalarium realized they worded the water deeds poorly, they apologized for it and corrected the wording. This has been called out repeatedly forever and they didn't clarify or correct. I do get the DLMB sentiment, but if a Sword of Ba'Heer was meant to offset the tier being devalued by row lots, then it wasn't much of a boon as is. And given that one handed swords are the weakest in the game anyways, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it somehow got some level and could be enchanted.

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think these are missing, but I'm happy to hear otherwise. If devs say that I'm misreading it then that's fine.

I don't think this is misleading wording, I think this has been forgotten.

The sword says it includes metals and jewels that can be used to enchant it. And that it has the enchantment of being a light-source already.

I think saying I'm playing a game of "don't lawyer me bro" is painting me in some kind of light that isn't really a helpful or needed response - did devs comment that the description is wrong somewhere? I've just been waiting patiently to find out how these worked and am asking a question.

I don't think these are meant to be better, I just thought they could hold an enchantment of some kind. Not multiple masterworks etc. but an enchantment.

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I don't recall them making any statement *at all*, which I believe is part of the confusion.

It is possible they simply haven't had time to sit down and decide what they actually want to do, so don't have anything concrete to say at the moment. :)

8. enderandrew

Before they made the max durability changes, making these enchantable was expected from my perspective.

Now that almost seems broken since this gear can't break in the enchantment process.

Proposed solution:

For items that said they were supposed to come with gems suitable for enchanting, you get a bagged item. You open the bag and select a gem for effect of choice. The items can support one enchantment, but not multiple enchantments.

Then these items are better than the existing really basic Founder starter gear, but still not as good as the really nice crafted gear.

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

This had been the problem from the start of KS. The game isn't P2W because we don't know what in means to win. If we said something as simple as a=power, b=cosmetic or x=grind, y=skill, z=RNG then everything would make sense and could be evaluated as to some kind of balance.

But as it is, we just have a big dollhouse full of stuff and don't know what means what.

It doesn't make sense for the pledge rewards to be useless. And the same can be said for shop items. Should they be a cosmetic skin that could be applied to something more powerful? Or a small amount of bonus stats or extra proc?

10. enderandrew

I'd rather it become a cosmetic skin I could apply to crafted gear so we encourage people to support crafters.

I've been openly begging for Transmuting for years.

It encourage people to buy vanity gear in the Add On Store. It is a gold sink. It encourages people to buy crafted gear.

Glantor Edge likes this.
  11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Its 2018 any updates on when these cloaks etc. will be able to be enchanted?

12. Curt

Curt Avatar

What you write is correct but I believe It will not happen.

13. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Pledge items should evolve, five bucks at any telethon Trump's armor, outfit,or any weapon that was created then . The pay to win people had very loud voices and the other half had to put the project ahead of what they wanted to discuss.

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Regarding the OP questions.

Artisan vs Prosperity
    It was said many times pre-persistence that artisan tools would be enhancable but with the risk of destroying them. This was repeated in several hangouts and in posts when asked about it. Like this:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...goal-store-megapost.11352/page-65#post-190641
    However sometime around persistence they changed their minds in that indestructible tools would be too good if one could enchant them, making them must have OP. So for balance and fair play to newcomers it was scrapped.
    Players then argued that that wasn't fair and could be simply offset by how big the chance was to destroy it and by making the enchantments less that those for destructible tools but still good.
    Then the devs got grumpy and waived the DLMB flag.
    Then after that when bundles came about they added the bagged Prosperity tools to those. Making the artisan tools nice but redundant.
    Cloaks and helmets etc
    Here they were pretty transparent pre-persistence in that they replaced the enchant - ability with the items instead being light sources. With only a brief waiving of the DLMB flag.
    Then they said that if one wanted the cool look of the pledge items one could salvage them for the upcoming pattern system and apply it to crafted items for the stats.
    However when they made patterns for them then the light source is gone from the pattern.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...decoration-reshaping.79473/page-2#post-755641
    So one have to chose between light source or crafted stats.
    Sword of Ba'heer.
    Here it was never publicly stated any contradiction or retcon from the state in the Kickstarter.
    Hence I and others thought that that would still happen with it being a weapon and all so then I brought it up in the telethon when they switched to monthly.
    Starr got visibly upset and acted as if that question had been answered a million times when it had not been brought up in over a year. Most likely since he conflates it with all the other items with enchant texts that has been brought up over the years.
    So another grumpy (very in this case) waiving of the DLMB flag.

Correct.
    It will not happen.

Alley Oop likes this.
  15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Love the synopsis, and makes me want to design a DLMB heraldry banner... :p

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Does it make you look like an orangutan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.